PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Supports...again

FaSteStSeRvE1613
03-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Hi, I know there was a discussion about this before. Well, my problem is that lately, I've been feeling a pain on my right foot right where my foot and ankle meet. It's been getting worse, last week, after I ran to the net, it really started to hurt but went away after a game or two. This weekend, I had a tournament and the same happened, only it was after serving. A couple of months ago, it wouldnt hurt while playing but it would hurt after playing. Unfortunately, I can't stop playing because tennis tryouts are tomorrow. Do you think that ankle supports will help me? If so, which one do you recommend? I know someone mentioned the Kallassy Ankle Support, but it's pretty expensive. Do you think it's worth the money? Also, what do you think of the Bike Neoprene Ankle Brace? http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=510850&cp&searchId=10349516259 &keywords=Ankle+Support&fpricesort=priceDescending &filter=yes&fbrandid=501&parentPage=search
Or is an ankle support even necessary? Would athletic tape be just as good?
Thanks

Phil
03-07-2004, 10:06 PM
You get what you pay for. It's your body, but personally, I don't skimp when it comes to ankle braces-I buy the best. Anyway, a kallassy will last you a couple years, at least. If you can afford a $150 tennis racquet and $100 shoes, you can pay for an ankle brace.

jayserinos99
03-07-2004, 10:59 PM
I can be a little paranoid about turning my ankle (I've done it numerous times playing basketball) so I tape up my ankles and then put on my ankle braces at the first sign of any pain.

Eric Matuszewski
03-08-2004, 05:11 AM
Just buy the Kallassy's already. Don't waste your money on the Bike one (I can tell by looking at it that it will do little more than putting on an extra sock). Tape jobs are inconveinient and only work if you are trained how to do them ( Doing them right requires a lot training by a professional, doing it wrong may even hurt you)
I've owned multiple sets of Kallassy's (my first set about 10 years ago) and can say with out a doubt that they provide good support against ankle rollover.
Not only do they support you but it feels pretty cool to look down and imagine your Michael Chang (If this inspires you to work even one tenth as hard as Chang did then you'll be faster on the court).

Also look into doing some excersises to strengthen the Fibularis longus and Fibularis brevis. These are the muscles that keep your foot from rolling over.
The pain you describe sounds like near the insertion of the Fibularis brevis (strained muscles usually hurt at the insertion). Strengthening these muscles (do it after and not before practice) will help protect you and help you avoid the pain. See a certified fitness trainer (ACE, ACSM or NSCA) or a physical therapist for the excersises.

borisboris
03-08-2004, 07:50 AM
:D I use the McDavid figure 8. It's the one & only. It costs $24.00 shipped. I have 2 - get white because they don't bleed. The Swede 0-8 is the same. Basically they are high lace ups w/ velcro wraps over/under foot then a back fwd wrap. Haven't had a problem in 2 yrs.

FaSteStSeRvE1613
03-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the responses
Boris, where can you buy th McDavid figure 8? I can buy the Kallassys for $25 from another online store (can't say it because they censor it)but they only come in black.
Also, Eric, do you happen to have a son named Brian, who plays tournaments in this area (Philadelphia)? I think I've seen his name a couple of times but I've never played him.

Cypo
03-09-2004, 03:09 AM
This is likely more than you need, but I have pretty serious ankle trouble and the best brace by far is the Bledsoe Ultimate. I've tried the figure 8 and the air cast sytems, and I found that my ankle could still turn over with them. The Bledsoe is not uncomfortable to play in despite its appearance, and although it's expensive, they sell replacement parts, and provide you with extra bits when you purchase it.

As I said, you probably don't need this much support, but I'm am so happy to have found this brace, that I thought I'd throw it into the pot.

borisboris
03-09-2004, 06:38 AM
I forget if I went direct. I looked up the company on-line. I was told before I called you needed a Dr. reference. I said "Dr. Becker said I should call you for the model # 195" They asked my address and cc# and were at my doorstep in a week. THE MODEL 195 HAS LASTED OVER 3 YRS AND GIVES ME IDEAL SUPPORT!! It might be awkword at first but with 3 + matches you'll never know your wearing them. I just wore some Prostaff 1000 low cut shoes and realized I would have rolled the ankle if not for the 195... I will send you the PH # via e-mail.

Eric Matuszewski
03-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Brian's not a known relative. Matuszewski's just happen to make good tennis players. ha ha. (look up Richard Matuszewski for more info). I think more syllables in the last name give you a bigger serve. (Ivanesevic). ha. I can't explain Roddick.

Philidelphia is less than an hour from Princeton Racket Club so if you ever have time, come to the club on the weekend and I will show you the excercises (no charge). Best Wishes

AAAA
03-09-2004, 05:11 PM
FaSteStSeRvE1613, Have you determined the cause of the pain? If you haven't sprained or rolled your ankle I can't see how an ankle brace could help you unless it somehow supports your weight and takes pressure off the ankle joint when you walk or run. You said it hurt when you ran for a shot. To me this means the impact force between your foot and the ground caused you to feel the pain. I think ankle supports help prevent inversion sprains and such like? You may have RSI. I had pain in my left knee; I figured the jogging I did on a treadmill was the cause so I stopped doing it and hey presto the pain went away. I'm not a physio but I don't think knee or ankle braces alleviate pressure on the joints. A brace by definition holds things in their correct position.

Eric Matuszewski
03-09-2004, 08:57 PM
Good point!, we did jump to conclusions on this one. Who knows what is really causing the problem. As always, best to see and Orthopedic Dr.

I used to get a pain there from hitting two hand backhands with a destructive technique.

I was keeping my right foot flat on the court after transfering my weight onto the same foot and the torque from my hip turn ended up twisting my leg in relation to my foot.
I kept getting the pain in the place you describe from what I assume was the tendons taking way more tension than what they should have.

I don't let that foot get flat on the court anymore (I allow it to pivot on the ball or heel keeping my knees bent) and don't have the problem anymore.

FaSteStSeRvE1613
03-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Eric, thanks for the offer. I actually do know where the Princeton Racquet Club is. I live about 40 min away. I used to drill there about 3 years ago but then moved to Pennsylvania.
AAAA, I have no idea what the cause of the pain is. When the indoor season started, I started to feel a little bit of pain AFTER playing, but I never worried about it. Now that it's hurting during play, I finally decided to do something about it. Today, my high school coach to go to the school trainer, and he actually gave me an ankle brace, so it looks like I'm not gonna pay for one. It did feel kinda weird at first, but I think it's fine. I wish I knew exactly where the pain is so I could ask you guys but I did the best I could explaining it.