PDA

View Full Version : Poly Polar w/Wilson Sensation - Good hybrid?

OverHead
10-17-2006, 02:24 AM
I got a good deal on some Wilson Sensation. I would like to buy a poly to hybrid with it.

How do you think Topspin Poly Polar 17ga in mains with Wilson Sensation 16ga crosses would play?

Looking for softness (as in a soft for a poly setup), spin, and minimal string movement.

Would you recommend some other poly instead of Poly Polar to acheive the above goals with Wilson Sensation?

This would go in my RDXmp, btw.

byealmeens
10-17-2006, 09:53 AM
I didn't like Poly Polar at all. It is pretty soft, but it loses tension fast and gets "mushy" very quickly.

Stan
10-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Properly installed, Poly Polar is a fine string at holding tension. It needs to be allowed to stretch before clamping. Give it a 10 -12 count on a constant pull before clamping off and it will play great for you.

As for a hybrid with Sensation...a multi with any poly is generally not a good idea because the poly will saw through the multi. I would not recommend Sensation in hybrid with any poly.

Richie Rich
10-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Properly installed, Poly Polar is a fine string at holding tension. It needs to be allowed to stretch before clamping. Give it a 10 -12 count on a constant pull before clamping off and it will play great for you.

As for a hybrid with Sensation...a multi with any poly is generally not a good idea because the poly will saw through the multi. I would not recommend Sensation in hybrid with any poly.

agree with stan - in fact i would suggest that you don't need to hybrid poly polar. poly polar is one of the softest and cheapest poly's out there. there is no benefit (performance or price) to hybriding this string with something like sensation. just go full poly polar. and don't forget to compensate for the tension loss.

byealmeens
10-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Stan, I pre-stretched mine before use and it did not help. I also strung it much higher than I normally would. Do you feel holding 10-12 seconds will do better? I'd like to give it another try, but I just don't see the up-side...

Stan
10-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Manual prestretch is ineffective with poly strings...except for maybe reducing the coil memory.

On a constant pull machine you can watch the string elongate as the tensioner pulls. Give it 10 - 12 seconds per pull (just be consistent with each pull) and then clamp off. This allows the string to elongate and settle in. This is the best way I have found to work with the Poly Polar.

meh
10-17-2006, 11:03 PM
Stan, how would one duplicate the results of a 10-12 second constant pull on a crank or dropweight machine? Does tensioning the Poly Polar twice sound like a reasonable method?

Stan
10-18-2006, 04:26 AM
I do not know how to duplicate this effect on a crank machine. On a dropweight I would allow the arm to settle for approximately 10 seconds and then re-pull to get the arm level. If the string is still elongating on the second pull I would allow it to settle and then repull again.

OverHead
10-18-2006, 11:28 PM
I thought the crosses sawing thru the mains was the problem.

Will have to consider durability if I were to string it for someone else. Still, I may try it for myself since it will cost ~$5. :)

agree with stan - in fact i would suggest that you don't need to hybrid poly polar. poly polar is one of the softest and cheapest poly's out there. there is no benefit (performance or price) to hybriding this string with something like sensation. just go full poly polar. and don't forget to compensate for the tension loss.
Thanks, I was thinking full Poly Polar would be too hard on the arm but I will definitely give it a try.

OverHead
10-18-2006, 11:30 PM
I do not know how to duplicate this effect on a crank machine. On a dropweight I would allow the arm to settle for approximately 10 seconds and then re-pull to get the arm level. If the string is still elongating on the second pull I would allow it to settle and then repull again.

If you string it a bit tighter then let it sit for 3-4 days would this give you the same effect as giving it 10-12 seconds to pull on a constant pull machine?

Richie Rich
10-19-2006, 04:53 AM
If you string it a bit tighter then let it sit for 3-4 days would this give you the same effect as giving it 10-12 seconds to pull on a constant pull machine?
that would help. i knew it would lose tension so i strung it 3 lbs higher than i normally do for a poly. it still lost a few lbs of tension when hitting balls. by the end of about 20 hours it was like a slingshot and broke anyway.

let us know how you liked it when you get a chance.

Ripper
10-19-2006, 07:00 AM
...a multi with any poly is generally not a good idea because the poly will saw through the multi.

Again, I've found that, if you use a multi with a rubbery surface, it will get sawed through very fast, but, if you use one with a slippery coating, it may surprise you how long it lasts.

knasty131
01-27-2007, 09:49 AM
So, if I got this string and used a crank machine...should I crank in the tension, wait 10-12 seconds, then undo the crank and then tighten it again??? I dont have a constant pull machine...

Richie Rich
01-27-2007, 10:05 AM
So, if I got this string and used a crank machine...should I crank in the tension, wait 10-12 seconds, then undo the crank and then tighten it again??? I dont have a constant pull machine...

If using a crank machine I would just string it tighter - by about 5 lbs higher than you would normally string poly. When you reach the reference tension on a crank and the crank "locks out" you start losing tension right away.

Mr. Blond
01-27-2007, 10:52 AM
I would agree that Poly Polar is really good at holding tension. It is a good poly for a person conserned about TE. I would not go to an all Poly Polar, but my arm is quite sensative. When I string it, I tend to take my time and let the tensioner soak up some of the stretch, and that really increases tension maintenence. Sensation is a soft mulit with really low durability in my opinion. I would try to find some other alternative besides sensation to hybrid with it. If you're not set on a multi to hybrid try either PSGD or maybe even some OG Micro. Both offer pretty good playing characteristics and don't cost that much.

Ripper
01-29-2007, 08:41 AM
You know, it's difficult for me to understand how this "letting it stretch" thing helps with this string. I could see that procedure helping with any string composed of multiple fibers, because they would all compress against each other, kind of making them work as a solid chunk. However, with a mono block string like Poly Polar I'm not sure of what's to be accomplished.

Edit: what you'd be doing is stretching it at a molecular level, but, by doing this, you'd, also, be taking away some of it's elasticity, meaning that, maybe, you'll end up with a string that holds tension a bit better, but at a price: you, also, made it harsher.

Dude
02-06-2007, 10:47 AM
I used poly polar for a couple months earlier this year. When I strung it on my crank stringer (at my house) the tension maintenance was average. However, when I strung it on the electric stringer (at my club) it held tension much better. I tried the advice on these boards and strung it very slowly, waiting about 10+ seconds before clamping each time tensioned the string. I admit I was skeptical that this would make any difference, but it really did. Strung this way, poly polar held tension almost as well as signum ppp and kirschbaum competition, the other polys I typically use. I donít know what this stretching method does to the properties of the string, but the string felt the same to me. Poly polar still felt like a very soft poly.