PDA

View Full Version : Bolt-on Electric upgrade for crank

jonolau
10-17-2006, 05:02 AM
I was just wondering if it's worthwhile buying a bolt-on electric upgrade for the crank on my Gamma Progression ST II? Or would it be better to buy a brand new machine and sell off the crank?

Would this also be reversible (ie. to switch back to crank)?

Jon

flash9
10-17-2006, 05:33 AM
I was just wondering if it's worthwhile buying a bolt-on electric upgrade for the crank on my Gamma Progression ST II? Or would it be better to buy a brand new machine and sell off the crank?

Would this also be reversible (ie. to switch back to crank)?

Jon
In my opinion, the only "bolt on" electronic tension head that is worth considering is the WISE 2086 Tension Head. It is a true electronic constant pull tension head that uses two strain gauges to measure the tension. I have had mine for nearly a year and except for a small initial issue with the linear gripping plates not holding the string at higher tensions (this has been fixed by Herb Wise) it has serviced me very well. There a many happy Wise users and as add-on to a crank mashine it is a wonderful option. It costs $500, and $35 for the foot pedal.
That being said a couple very professional stringers that participate on this forum had some major issues with their electronics and Herb appeared to be less the accommodating in his customer service. :(
This tension head slides on the bar that the crank rides on and for most machines it is a simple reversible swap. I do think I remember that some Gamma machines do require an additional part to raise the tension heads linear grippers to be nearly in the same plane as the racquet head.
Wise 2086 Tension Head (http://www.**********.com)

hadoken
10-17-2006, 08:32 AM
I'm in the same boat as you, and I decided that the only signficant upgrade to my crank would be a Wise and that it wasn't a good investment. The other electronic heads from Gamma and Mutual Power don't seem to offer enough value.

jonolau
10-17-2006, 08:37 AM
The Wise tensioner looks great. But my concern is service. I'm all the way in Asia, so where do I turn if it requires service or repair?