PDA

View Full Version : just ordered stringer, looking for advice

raiden031
10-17-2006, 05:56 AM
I just ordered the cheapest klippermate stringer (~$145) and it should arrive in a few days. I know absolutely nothing about stringing and I am wondering if there is any guide that I could read online that would give me a head start in learning the art of racquet stringing before my machine arrives. Anyone know a good document or site I can find out there for free?

yourserve
10-17-2006, 10:22 AM
there are some videos out there. i haven't seen any to know about the quality. if you are patient and follow the klipper instructions you will get off to a good start. once you have the basics down with the klipper you will be
able to string on any machine if you have a starting clamp.

max
10-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Don't panic. I was in the same state you are. The instructions are very clear and they'll walk you through it over the phone if you give it a go during business hours, I'm sure.

The chief thing is to give yourself sufficient time to learn and to not expect to push out a quick job. Read the instructions twice, then act. If you check over this section of the TW boards, you'll find that stringing isn't as tough as a nonstringer may believe it to be. But really, the printed instructions with the Klippermate got me through with no problem at all.

william
10-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Why do you need a starting clamp??

Nuke
10-17-2006, 11:07 AM
A starting clamp is a nice-to-have for a few situations (use the search function) but someone starting out with the cheapest machine he can find doesn't really need one at this point.

andrew_b
10-17-2006, 12:02 PM
You might consider a trial membership at the USRSA. $9 gets you a month of access to their site and all the materials. You could read a lot of good stuff in that time.

play well,
Andrew

max
10-17-2006, 01:29 PM
When you start stringing your mains, you clamp the first main to a bit of wire with a stopper on the end, so there's no need for a starting clamp with the Klippermate. I suppose you could buy one if you didn't like the wire bit, but it's all pretty much moot in terms of getting the job done.

yourserve
10-18-2006, 06:07 AM
what i meant by my statement was if you could string on a klipper you would have a great understanding of the principle of stringing. at that point you could string on any machine given you had a starting clamp available.

yourserve
10-18-2006, 06:15 AM
double post. sorry

T_player
10-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Go back to page 2, on the thread "help" posted by broadway on 9/29. There are some helpful links there.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=122161

...also go to silient partner website to watch the video and read their stringing pages...

aussie
10-18-2006, 07:41 PM
I knew nothing about stringing, so read as much on the forums as I could and also downloaded the manual for the Silent Partner Swing. I also watched the video on the Silent Partner website for stringing on an e-Stringer. When my Klippermate arrived, I was already feeling confident I could string, and any misgivings I had were quickly answered by the Klippermate manual which is very good. You'll be fine.

raiden031
10-19-2006, 06:33 AM
Go back to page 2, on the thread "help" posted by broadway on 9/29. There are some helpful links there.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=122161

...also go to silient partner website to watch the video and read their stringing pages...

There are some good links in that thread. Thanks. I actually traced through the stringing of my racquets and I think I understand what to do as far as stringing out the pattern. The only thing left is to learn how the machine does the tensioning which I will see when my machine arrives.

theace21
10-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Go hang out at a proshop. Watch them mount the racket, measure the string. Getting started correctly is the hardest thing for rookies, then the crosses. Ask questions. The videos and websites help, but watching live is the best.

Your first string job might take a couple of hours, don't worry, after a few you will be down to an hour...

Good Luck

Koz
10-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Go hang out at a proshop. Watch them mount the racket, measure the string. Getting started correctly is the hardest thing for rookies, then the crosses. Ask questions. The videos and websites help, but watching live is the best.

Your first string job might take a couple of hours, don't worry, after a few you will be down to an hour...

Good Luck

Heh..I remember my first string job. I think it took 2...maybe 2.5 hours. I think I had a misweave or something, cuz I cut it out minutes after taking the frame off of the machine. Maybe 4 stringjobs later I was down to an hour and 15 minutes or so. You kinda pick up tips and tricks as your experience increases. I've cut my time down to ~50 mins on a dropweight (on a 'good' day). My technique isn't any faster, quicker, more skilled or anything...Just more efficient :)

eunjam
10-23-2006, 02:31 PM
i think most people would agree....whether they string their own racquets or not......

true tennis players would rather have a slower string job done with quality, rather than a quick sloppy job.

shopowners may disagree when stringing recreational player racquets......