PDA

View Full Version : i think i need a change .....

ttrebel
08-06-2004, 05:11 PM
i currently play with a prince tt rebel. generally, i enjoy playing with it .... however i have begun to think that something slightly less stiff might benefit my game .... especially as i'm having problems with the back of my right shoulder (right at the bottom), and think that a looser racquet might be a little less jarring. also, i must say i find the feel (i attribute it to stiffness) on serves and high forehands a little lacking.

i'm far from brilliant ..... but, i'm a baseline / allcourt player .... i take big swings off both sides (particularly the one-handed backhand).

i'm also finding that i get almost too much racquet-head speed, given the lightness of the racquet and it's reasonably stiff nature -- it's a bit jarring. i may try adding some lead tape to the racquet, either in the throat, or on the handle and at 3 and 9 o'clock to give it a bit more weight and hopefully make it flex a little more (anyone think this will make a signifigant difference in terms of flex?) ....... or buy a new racquet .... i'd be looking for something a bit heavier, more flexible and probably between 90 and 98sq inches; basically, i'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice.

i have several racquets in mind ..... the prince diablo mid (is it going to be too stiff?), the prince original graphite (less keen on this idea due to very open string pattern .... i owned a tt warrior for a short time, and while it was good for serving, i found it ghastly for groundstrokes - apart from there being too much power ... the wide beam and longer length .... i found i couldn't flatten strokes out when i wanted, spin generation was way too much), the dunlop hm 200g (sounds good due to the flexible nature and dense string pattern? some people seem to be saying it's a bit too head heavy, though), the dunlop hm 100g (which i can't find much information on, but am guessing one gets a tremendous amount of feel with and is fairly flexible, and probably more head light than the 200g?), maybe the wilson tour 90 / ncode 90 / rok (don't know anyone who has even hit with these, so am in the dark regarding them .... having hit with a friend's ps 6.1 in the past and various hammers ... i hated all of them, so i'm not particulary sure i'll like the feel of these?), the lm prestige mid and midplus (no idea about these, really), possibly the lm radical (if someone thinks this wouldn't be too powerful?), the prestige classic (slightly dubious about the weight of the thing .... i'm not sure if i'm gorrilla enough to wield it) .... no idea how the fischer pro no.1 plays? ...... the yonex mp tour 1 i had for a while, i absolutely hated it as it felt dead to me (maybe because i ordered it a grip size larger than my usual 4 3/8ths), so i'm not sure if things have changed with rdx500 mid or midplus?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

during the summer i play with ~65lb prince synthetic gut 16 gauge

K!ck5w3rvE
08-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Fischer Pro 1 (non-FT, and the Australian 320g version would suit you if you can get it).

ttrebel
08-06-2004, 06:12 PM
any particular reason why this one, and not one of the others?

ontherise17
08-06-2004, 06:42 PM
the diablo mid is the replacement racquet for the rebel its stiffness is a little less but feels a hell of a lot more comfortable and flexable..and u said u liked the serving of the warrior but that it wasnt good on the groundstrokes...ive never used the warrior but the diablo mid is a great racquet imo for both of those and is good at the net as well....id say just demo all of the ones you're interested in!...you'll find what you're looking for!

hope i helped

ttrebel
08-06-2004, 07:08 PM
one problem ...... i live in the uk, and there aren't any demo's by mail, or not like tennis warehouse does .... also, i happen to live about 3 hours from the nearest decent pro-shop .... so i think i need to narrow down my choice

tennis666
08-06-2004, 07:21 PM
Move to America

mach1
08-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Well that's how i felt after a couple months of having the rebel at the beginning of 2003...so i put lead tape on it. 6 grams each at 3 and 9 o'clock and 6 grams in the handle. It felt alot better. Then i bought a yonex ti-80 and a POG mid...they were both good stock but better with lead tape with 6 grams at 3&9 and at the handle. I love how the POG mid serves and volleys groundstrokes are alright but groundstrokes are my favorite with the yonex but I got the 4 5/8 grip size and it runs a little large so it doesnt feel as good to serve with it. Im thinking of getting either the 6.0 85 or the Tour 90. Anyways i wouldn't recommend the yonex because your grip size is 4 3/8 which means its not in the same weight class as the bigger gripsizes like 4 1/2 and 4 5/8 which is what i have. Also Yonex grips run a little large so I guess it wont feel as good to you. So I guess you should try lead tape before thinking of a new racquet, it just might be what you are looking for...if it doesnt work out for you just post again later on maybe i can help you out more. Hopefully more people will respond by then. alright then dood layter.

ttrebel
08-07-2004, 10:27 AM
thanks for the advice .... i'm curious to know if anyone has played with the 100g, though ... i quite like the idea of it