PDA

View Full Version : Added Castering Wheels to my Eagnas Flex 940

JetFlyr
10-17-2006, 12:19 PM
I recently added castering wheels that I bought at Home Depot to my Eagnas 940. I didn't have to make any adjustments to the wheels or machine, just unscrewed the Eagnas feet and the new wheels screwed right in. It took two packs of the 2" (50mm) wheels. Total cost was about $15. The size of the screw portion is 5/16" (8mm), 1" (25mm) length. Or, just reference the number on the package: Shepherd Hardware Products #9344.

I'm very pleased with the results. Previously, I had adjusted the height of the machine to its maximum, and it was still a bit too short for me while stringing. (I'm over six feet tall.) Now, the machine is higher and stringing is much more comfortable for me, and I've even been able to drop the machine down from its maximum height setting.

I used to string on a Klippermate, so I bought the Flex 940 because I thought a standing machine would be better. Once I got it, I was slightly remorseful because it was no longer portable. With the new wheels, I can easily move it around the house, and between my office (where it normally rests) and in front of the TV (where I do most of my stringing).

Here are some pictures:
http://home.cinci.rr.com/jetflyr/DSCF2011.JPG

http://home.cinci.rr.com/jetflyr/DSCF2014.JPG

http://home.cinci.rr.com/jetflyr/DSCF2015.JPG

Milano
10-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Nice work on the wheels. Do you happen to have your old klippermate? If so, are you willing to sell it? Was looking for a cheap, yet reputable used stringer as my first machine.

rod_b
10-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Nice find on those casters. I just ordered a 940. Nice 2086 on there also. How do you like that. Glad to see that it fits. That's a nice upgrade.

JetFlyr
10-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks for your offer. I'm going to hang onto the Klipper as a backup, even though I still have my Eagnas Crank as a backup if the WISE fails. Although I'll probaby never need it, I'm a bit nostalgic about it. I still use the Klipper clamps (covered under a lifetime warranty) if I do an ATW pattern, so I wouldn't be able to send you all of the required parts anyways. They're very popular, so you shouldn't have any problems finding one on here or the big auction site.

I love the WISE. It's a huge improvement over the crank, and I like the accuracy and the precision. I'm a gadget freek anyways. I highly recommend it. I haven't had to deal with Herb (at WISE) though, as I bought mine slightly used from Barry. I do feel, however, that if I can deal with the folk at Eagnas, Herb must be like an angel! :)

theace21
10-17-2006, 02:41 PM
Nice job Jet - I have a wise also.

jonolau
10-17-2006, 03:24 PM
That's a really nice setup. Since you all have more experience with the 2086, what are the types of problems with it that you've read or heard about? Things I may have to look out for as I'm seriously considering importing one from the US and bear in mind that I live almost halfway around the planet with little access to servicing.

varuscelli
10-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Nice... :)

Question: Did you consider locking casters as opposed to the brakeless ones? (Probably two but not necessarily four.) Seems like the locking version might be desirable if you used the stand on a hard floor. Just curious if that was a consideration.

Looks very nice, though!

JetFlyr
10-17-2006, 04:49 PM
I did consider lockable casters; however, I was unable to find any that worked and I didn't want to make the project a bigger one. If Home Depot would have had the lockable casters in stock, I would have bought two of them.

I had taken one of the Eagnas feet with me, so I knew the casters I bought would fit with minimal effort. I could have bought some lockable casters, but it would have required me to mount the wheel to a plate, and then onto the machine. I knew that with the carpeting in my home, slippage would not be an issue.

There were bigger wheels available, but they would have required more effort to mount them and I was looking for an easy way.

varuscelli
10-17-2006, 05:05 PM
I knew that with the carpeting in my home, slippage would not be an issue.

Yeah, if you're pretty much exclusively using the stand on carpet, locking casters would likely be an expense that might not do anything for you that the carpet's not already doing. And you could always add them later if you got into a situation where you felt you had to have them. (For instance, in my home we have laminate/pergo-style flooring in 80 percent of the house. If I were using casters on a floor model, I suspect I'd need the locking style. At least, I suppose I'd need them.)

Ronaldo
10-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Jetflyr, curious, how much TV can you watch while stringing?

varuscelli
10-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Jetflyr, curious, how much TV can you watch while stringing?

He's not watching TV. He's watching tennis. :p

Which means, of course, about one racquet per day, if he keeps proper focus on the tennis and strings only during commercial breaks.

JetFlyr
10-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Quite a bit, actually. I can look up when I'm doing something like pulling string, or between clamping, etc. I can stop weaving if I hear an unusual type of rally, and the sound of the crowd or the commentators usually clue me in when there's something I might want to stop the actual stringing process long enough to watch it. I can always return and check my spot if I'm in the middle of a weave or something. Sometimes I watch hockey, too.

Were you insinuating that I should give stringing my undivided attention? ;)
(If so, you don't happen to talk on the cell phone while you're driving, do you?)

theace21
10-17-2006, 05:50 PM
That's a really nice setup. Since you all have more experience with the 2086, what are the types of problems with it that you've read or heard about? Things I may have to look out for as I'm seriously considering importing one from the US and bear in mind that I live almost halfway around the planet with little access to servicing.
I have had mine almost 2 years without a problem...Their was a long thread about JJ300 (hope I got that correct) and his Wise saga. If you need to send the wise back, and it is under warranty. It still costs you the shipping. I think it was $35.

I had my Wise about 2 weeks, and Herb called and asked how I liked it. I was impressed that he took the time call. Now if I have to sent it back, and he says I don't know what I am doing...I would be a little disappointed (since I have been stringing for 35 years).

Ronaldo
10-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Moved my stringer into a room without a TV, sat it on a mini-fridge. More stringing, more brews. Much Mo bettah

varuscelli
10-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Moved my stringer into a room without a TV, sat it on a mini-fridge. More stringing, more brews. Much Mo bettah

I snuck over to Ronaldo's and snapped this pick:

http://www.ruscelli.com/images/Gamma_beer_fridge_02.jpg

The sign on his wall said, "Mo' Better Brews" (whatever that means...).

But look: No casters of any kind. http://www.turtletimes.com/Forums/style_emoticons/default/icon_smile_think.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:add_smilie()

Duzza
10-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Hey what TV Channel is that? Is it Tennis Channel? I thought that was just for watching streamed off the computer...I wish Australia actually telecasted live tennis apart from the Aus Open...

JetFlyr
10-17-2006, 09:29 PM
He needs Coasters, not casters. Nice pic!

Yes, that was the Tennis Channel.

varuscelli
10-17-2006, 11:01 PM
He needs Coasters, not casters.

You make an excellent point. ;)

Nice pic!

Thanks! As long as the beverage censors don't see it. :p

Ronaldo
10-18-2006, 04:07 AM
Actually have casters on my cart and my wife always shoves it into a corner.
Believe she wants to roll it out of the house.

LttlElvis
10-18-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the idea of using casters. Also thank you taking up the time to take pics. I am going to do the same ASAP.

My set up is similar to yours. I have an Eagnas Hawk 800 and a Wise Tension Head.

My question to those who own the Wise Tension Head. How far from the table do you mount the tension head? I noticed in the pics that you mounted it fairly close to the table. I am just the opposite. I mounted mine as far as possible, then used a "C" clamp on the track to prevent forward movement of the Wise Tension Head.

I guess it doesn't really matter as long as you are consistent and keep the Wise Tension Head at the same place for all your string jobs. The reason I keep mine as far away as possible is because I am used to a crank, and I have always been told to keep the crank as consistent and as far from the table as possible.

MaKS327
10-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Nice quick solution on the casters! About 2 yrs ago I was looking to do the same, stringing for a college team and moving the machine frequently to the player's lounge for tv. Problem was I was stringing on a hard surface. So I came up with a solution that worked quite well for a good year or so.

I bought similar casters, except they had a locking mechanism and no bolt attached, just a squarish piece of steel with 4 holes for small screws. I found the right bolt size to fit in the machine's feet. I then attached the bolts to the steel plate using some heavy duty cement epoxy (LOTS of epoxy). After letting them set for a couple of days I put them on and they worked perfectly! That is until one time the team took the machine to a tournament and rolled it too quickly up a hill (supposedly). The epoxy didn't break, the actual bolt did! I made due with only 3 for a while, then another broke and I called it quits, went back to the normal feet. Fun little project that was WAAAAY easier than carrying the machine (Gamma 5003) a good 50 feet or so.

ryohazuki222
10-26-2006, 03:40 PM
did the wheels you buy, have screws? to screw in?

i went looking today, but all i saw were wheels that i would just have to stick in there... i'd prefer something that screwed in

JetFlyr
10-26-2006, 11:42 PM
Yes, they had screws and twisted right into the holes where the original foot screws had been. I used a pair of Vise-grips.

bleach
10-31-2006, 09:00 AM
This is a great idea. I don't move my machine much, but having wheels will make it easier to move around (string in a different room, move out of the way....). I have the Gamma 5003. The feet on my machine have a larger screw than the casters you bought have. Not to be detered in solving a problem (whether it really existed or not). I found a company, ClarkeCasters.com, that has a set for about any application. I measured the screw on my machine's feet to be 1/2", so I order 2 locking, 2 non-locking casters with a 1/2" threaded steam. You can choose the wheel size and type, I went cheap. Total with shipping was $34.53. I'll let you know how they work out.

ryohazuki222
10-31-2006, 09:16 AM
thanks for the response... i actually found some in the second store i looked at.... the first store didnt have any that screwed in.

...but my problem is a funny one.... it just so happens that of the four leg things screwed into the base at the moment... i managed to unscrew the ONLY one i was capable of.... i tried unscrewing the other three after buying the casters... but they wouldnt budge.... the one wheel that i could get in fit like a charm though....

coach
02-08-2008, 10:02 AM

My tv is usually on while I string, but in an adjacent room. I put on a DVD I have seen 1000 times so I can listen to it, enjoy it, but I don't have to watch and be distracted. Recently, we had a foreign exchange student living with us and she was fascinated by the machine and the stringing process. She took pictures, we talked a lot. The next day I noticed I missed a weave. Bummer. Stringing isn't brain surgery but it does take concentration.