PDA

View Full Version : how to weave crosses quickly?

looseswing
10-17-2006, 03:19 PM
I have now strung around ten raquets and have cut the time for stringing mains down to like ten to fifteen minutes, but it takes me around an hour to weave crosses with poly. Any tips on how to speed up the process?

DRtenniS1112
10-17-2006, 03:24 PM
I have now strung around ten raquets and have cut the time for stringing mains down to like ten to fifteen minutes, but it takes me around an hour to weave crosses with poly. Any tips on how to speed up the process?
Weaving one cross ahead of the one you will tension makes it a little easier as long as you leave a loop to tension with. The reason that it is easier is because the mains are already staggered upward and downward so they are easier to go around.

eunjam
10-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Weaving one cross ahead of the one you will tension makes it a little easier as long as you leave a loop to tension with. The reason that it is easier is because the mains are already staggered upward and downward so they are easier to go around.

so THAT's how you do it!!

thanks!

i will try that next time.

i didn't bother with one ahead because i heard that one premise:

you need to do it anyways, so why bother one ahead or do it as you go.....

enigma54
10-17-2006, 06:10 PM

Sorry for being dumb...but I don't understand what you mean by the "mains are already staggered upward and downward so they are easier to go around". Weaving is what slows me down and I've tried this pre-lacing method but I don't find that it makes any difference in terms of speed. Can you elaborate?

DRtenniS1112
10-17-2006, 06:13 PM
When you weave one cross ahead the mains tend to stagger more so than they would if you went directly after the tensioned cross. With this extra little bit of elevation in the main it makes it easier to slip under, same goes for the ones that go down toward the ground more.

ryohazuki222
10-17-2006, 07:41 PM
does anyones hands get slippery while stringing? (im not sure whether i manage to sweat.. or if the strings themselves make my hands slippery) .... if so... how do you avoid this?

i can string synthetic crosses a lot faster than i can string poly crosses.... is there any advice other than prelacing?

looseswing
10-17-2006, 07:59 PM
My hands also get slippery, but I think it is from the string and not sweating. I also find that stringing with multis and other such strings cuts down stringing time by around twenty to ten minutes.

enigma54
10-17-2006, 08:15 PM
When you weave one cross ahead the mains tend to stagger more so than they would if you went directly after the tensioned cross. With this extra little bit of elevation in the main it makes it easier to slip under, same goes for the ones that go down toward the ground more.

Ahhhh....now I get it! Should've been obvious but my technique needs a lot of work. I've watched some of the stringing videos and I can't for the life of me keep weaving with one finger on top and one finger on bottom without stopping and pulling the slack a bit more before I can continue weaving. Net result is >1 hour to string a racquet.

nViATi
10-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Ahhhh....now I get it! Should've been obvious but my technique needs a lot of work. I've watched some of the stringing videos and I can't for the life of me keep weaving with one finger on top and one finger on bottom without stopping and pulling the slack a bit more before I can continue weaving. Net result is >1 hour to string a racquet.
Weave diagonally (at an angle). It will help reduce the friction quite a bit.

Tennis_Gnat
01-12-2007, 07:21 AM
I'm a newb to stringing, and I've got my time down to an hour now (as opposed to 2hrs and 15 mins, my very first racquet). My main problem is weaving the crosses and weaving technique. My hands do get sweaty so the string does get slippery. Like right now, my hands are sweating typing. I have the worst time trying to actually get the string moving across the racquet, I'll try weaving diagonally.
I understand all the tips, but when you say "weaving one cross ahead" do you mean weave the cross you're on, make a big enough loop outside the racquet so you can tension the cross you're on, but before you tension it, weave the next cross?

rod_b
01-12-2007, 07:38 AM
...but when you say "weaving one cross ahead" do you mean weave the cross you're on, make a big enough loop outside the racquet so you can tension the cross you're on, but before you tension it, weave the next cross?

Yep, you got it!!!

Craig Sheppard
01-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Also not sure how you're weaving, but it's faster if you use the snake method to weave rather than passing the string end from one hand to the other. This is harder to explain than to do... i use 2 index fingers, one on top of the stringbed, one under the stringbed. I then "snake" the string under and over each string, without actually picking up the string, just pushing it up or down with each finger. That significantly speeds up your time. Try to watch some online stringing videos of high-speed stringers and you'll see what I'm talking about. If you already do this, well, I guess it just takes practice to go faster. :)

FH2FH
01-12-2007, 10:59 AM
How can you pull the string through with just two index fingers? I've seen it done, but it seems like I have too much friction. Do you pull a big loop throught the grommet first? I think I spend the most time pulling 20ft of string all the way through (avoiding kinks), then pull the same amount through my hand before I poke through every grommet. It takes me 45-50 mins on a drop weight. Wish it was faster... but I'm happy with the results.

courtrage
01-12-2007, 11:26 AM
http://www.grand slam stringers . com/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,99/?g2_itemId=1237&g2_GALLERYSID=fdce0b1af383dd3fd9bf%20b00a1dd9a0c6

i'm gonna try sam chan's way of just standing at the top of the racquet and weaving downward...save a little time instead of spinning the racquet around all the time...still gotta spin it so you can tension strings on both sides, but i'll see how it goes...

link isnt working...go to grand slam stringers . com, click on photos and videos then stringing videos...

Tennis_Gnat
01-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks all, I'll try your suggestions and watch the vids. Edited to add: Excellent vids, by the way, the page is now a bookmark :)

My strings are about to break on my current racquet so I'll test the methods and see how it goes. I'll tell you all if it goes well of if I have further questions. :)

dancraig
01-12-2007, 04:06 PM
There are pro stringers that "pull a loop" instead of pushing the string through with the two fingers. I used to think that all high level pro stringers developed the "push" technique". But after asking at GSS, I learned that many respected pro tournament stringers never developed the push method. Some say they can do the "push" method, but not as quickly and acccurately as the "pull a loop" method.

FH2FH
01-12-2007, 05:27 PM
OMG.... How in the **** do they do that?!! LOL. They've weaved the entire cross through the stringbed in the time it takes me to get through the first 2-3 strings!!!

I do notice they pull a loop of slack through the grommet before going across. I haven't been doing that... which has been adding too much friction to do them fingertip to fingertip.

md3113
01-12-2007, 10:38 PM
stringing one ahead is essential. after that, think of like weaving a rug. i remember when i was in high school my first racket took an hour and 30 min. i worked in a racket shop, and after 1 month i was down to a fairly normal 30 - 35 min and i no longer made mistakes. (granted stringing multiple rackets 4 - 5 days a week) now, years later you've done it so much you can tell when you make a mistake by just how your fingers feel, and every racket takes 20 min or so. its just practice. the more rackets you do the better feel for the strings you will get. thats where the speed comes in.