PDA

View Full Version : Losing tension while stringing...

ladiator
03-07-2004, 08:28 PM
First off, I've read that Eagnas hasn't been getting many favorable reviews on the boards, and had I known about this discussion board before the purchase, I likely would have changed course.

The problem I've noticed is that the tension feels inconsistent by each string. I don't think that it is the crank, but rather the fixed clamps. Even after tightening the clamps, they move once I release the crank. I'm tempted to buy some hanging clamps and forgo the fixed clamps, but that seems to defeat one of the main features of the stringer. HELP PLEASE! thanks...

Deuce
03-07-2004, 09:20 PM
If you locate your missing 'G', you might find a clue as to where the lost tension went...

Gaines Hillix
03-09-2004, 04:02 AM
ladiator, try this; pull tension on a string in the situation where you are suspecting slippage. Clamp the string. Don't release the tension head. Mark the string next to the clamp on the tension head side of the clamp. You can use a crayon for this. Then release the tension head from the string. Watch the mark you made. Also watch for movement in the clamps. If you see the mark move toward the clamp or into the clamp jaws, the string is slipping. You may need to adjust them tighter. Or,
you might try folding a business card made from good paper stock(not slick/shiny) and then inserting it into the clamp jaws.
Then clamp the string between the folds of the card and repeat the procedure to check for string movement. I wouldn't revert to using flying clamps. If you have to resort to new clamps, see if Eagnas will send you a set of their PN1002 clamps on a trial basis(not sure they will, but it's worth a try).

mark rodgers
03-13-2004, 06:35 PM
I own an Eagnas Hawk machine and I too have had problems with the clamps. The problem that I have is that if I don't tighten down the base of the clamp in a certain way, when I release the tension head the clamp shifts in whatever direction it wants. To keep this from happening, I secure the clamp to the string first and then adjust the base of clamp before securing it down. Another problem was with using paraffin wax while stringing gut. Suffice to say that I don't apply wax while the racket in the stringer.

Eagnas doesn't exactly make the best quality stringers but I couldn't beat the price. I've learned to adjust to its shortcomings and overall I've been happy with the results.