PDA

View Full Version : machines that come with free string?

woody6.1
10-17-2006, 06:25 PM
On the few sites that i've been to i haven't seen any 'free string' in the descriptions of the stringers and i was just wondering if anyone could tell me if any ones do that are in the $400-$500 range? thanks

MikeCrowChip
10-17-2006, 07:07 PM
I bought my Gamma from ATS, and they threw in a slew of free string. Check out their website it indicates that it comes with free string package #2.

...i don't remember if my Klippermate came with any...too long ago.

rod_b
10-17-2006, 07:08 PM
The Eagnas stringers come with a reel of their 16g syn gut

theace21
10-17-2006, 07:20 PM
I would rather have them discount the stringer and I can purchase the string I really want. They want you to order their string brand, when you need string. You are much better off ordering from TW, quality strings from a wide variety of companies.

Steve Huff
10-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Mark threw in some Alpha string when I bought my Alpha Apex. I'm glad he did. Their Vengeance and Sphere are getting more popular all the time.

whomprat
10-18-2006, 02:47 AM
Laserfibre sends some string with the TT as well.

WillyWonka
10-18-2006, 06:09 AM
Silent Partner has the e.Stringer CL that comes with a free reel of their own brand of string called Ultimatum for $469.00.

varuscelli
10-18-2006, 10:10 AM
I would rather have them discount the stringer and I can purchase the string I really want.

I am admittedly not very knowledgeable in this area, but I agree with what theace21 says. Unless they're throwing in some really desirable string (which I think some, but not necessarily all, do).

The analogy I can make is in terms of buying photo gear. Most of the people that go out and buy a really nice camera (an SLR with interchangeable lenses) want to buy a camera that comes with a lens. And there are many cameras that are packaged exactly that way. But the problem is that most camera lenses that come packaged as "kits" with cameras are the bottom-of-the-line lenses (or nearly so). Most really knowledgeable photographers won't buy the packaged "kit" unless they get to choose what lens they want as part of the kit because they don't want the crappy lens that the manufacturer wants to give them as a supposed bonus. Virtually all professional photographers and advanced amateurs make separate purchases of camera and lens (and accessories).

Take it to an extreme and get a camera "kit" that includes a $1 blower that's said to be worth $10, a $4 mini tripod that's said to be worth $29, a $3 cleaning kit that's said to be worth $12, and a $10 carrying case that's said to be worth $40, and a $3 battery that's said to be worth $9. None of it is stuff you really would have bought extra, but you go away thinking you've been given $100 worth of extra stuff when really you've gotten $21 worth of junk.

But that's just my analogy.

I'm not saying the stringing machine sellers are doing this (most of them likely aren't), but I still agree that it's better to buy what you want, unless what is being thrown in is of known good value to you. (And, no, I'm NOT against bonus items like string being thrown in. I love the idea, especially if what's being thrown in is good stuff. But that's something that probably should be evaluated carefully, case by case.)

snoflewis
10-18-2006, 10:42 AM
all silent partner machines come w/ reels. the lower end models come w/ a synthetic gut and the higher end models come w/ better string (can't recall what kind).

gfdoto
10-18-2006, 10:50 AM
all silent partner machines come w/ reels. the lower end models come w/ a synthetic gut and the higher end models come w/ better string (can't recall what kind).
I'm curious, is the silent partner syn gut any good? I have the SP Swing coming in and it comes with a reel of their syn gut.

gbt tennis acer
10-22-2006, 06:29 PM
Does anyone know what the ats package sends with the lower quality machines i just ordered one and was wondering what i was in store for.

PrinceN3ung1
10-22-2006, 07:48 PM
ya u get some nice gamma strings.. like gamma tnt cores, and others....did u buy the ats stringer or sumn like that? IMO, its not really good for a dropweight

MTChong
10-22-2006, 08:19 PM
As they stated, some do and some don't; I didn't get string with my machine.

Though I wouldn't let that sway your decisions; don't get a machine for the string. Unless, maybe, it comes with 8 sets of quality natural gut...

patrick922
10-25-2006, 06:24 PM
gamma x-2 from hola-bird sports came with a load of free gamma strings...the strings were probably worth more than the stringer lol....the strings were mostly tnt fat core which is about $14 or so;)

max
10-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Klippermate sends a nice sample of different kinds of string, plus a string board with odd scraps of their different strings so you can see what they're like.

gotwheels
10-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Alpha gives a string allowance with the purchase of their machines. The $ amount depends on the machine cost. The nice option here is that you can choose the Alpha strings you want and they have some nice choices. Talk to Mark or Greg at Alpha / New Tech Tennis. Good quality machines and outstanding service.

gbt tennis acer
10-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Yea i got the ats just for know i am a young tennis pro who goes through alot of string and It's the machince i strung my first racket on. It's coming in today so I will see what I get with it.

varuscelli
10-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Alpha gives a string allowance with the purchase of their machines. The $ amount depends on the machine cost. The nice option here is that you can choose the Alpha strings you want and they have some nice choices. Talk to Mark or Greg at Alpha / New Tech Tennis. Good quality machines and outstanding service.

That's a great way to do it. I like the idea of the customer being able to choose the string they want. Very nice.

steve d
10-26-2006, 01:42 PM
When I bought my LaserFibre MS200TT last year they included 5 sets of LaserFibre SuperNatural Phenom XRC. At TW prices that would amount to $70 worth of string. I would have rather had a chance to pay less for the stringer and not get the string. But it all worked out OK in the end.

mucat
10-27-2006, 08:17 AM
I'm curious, is the silent partner syn gut any good? I have the SP Swing coming in and it comes with a reel of their syn gut.

They are heavy, very noticeably heavier than prince syn gut i use before. But hey, the stringer is nice and free string, I am happy. Once I use up all the free string, I will get some good ones. Patient, mucat, patient mucat......

Nuke
10-27-2006, 08:34 AM
I wasn't too impressed with the SP "Original Syn" that came with my Swing. Nothing terrible about it, but Gosen Micro or PSGD are better, and now I'm hybriding those with polys. The SP string will be used for my 3rd & 4th racquets (which are only backups), kids racquets, and anyone else who asks me to string and is not picky about what string to use.