PDA

View Full Version : Stringers - how many fakes racquets have you seen?

Radical Shot
10-18-2006, 01:32 AM
Just wondering. I'm seen a few fake tennis racquets come through to be strung recently - Pure Drives that aren't Pure Drives etc.

How many have you seen?
Do you string them? One of the "Babolats" that I strung barely hung in there during the stringing process. A few hours into a game it was dead - cracked and obviously fake.
How do you tell the person?Please people, don't buy cheap racquets from auction sites! If they're cheap and coming from unknown sellers, watch out!

LoveThisGame
10-18-2006, 07:39 PM
None that I know of!

DRtenniS1112
10-18-2006, 07:50 PM
0! I have never seen one at all in fact.

Richie Rich
10-18-2006, 08:38 PM
seen a fake drive and a fake nsix-one 95. was an ntour with the nsix pj.

snoflewis
10-19-2006, 03:22 PM
seen a fake drive and a fake nsix-one 95. was an ntour with the nsix pj.

how'd you know it was an ntour?

theace21
10-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Never, but then again - most of the people I string for belong to clubs and they only buy their rackets from authorized dealers.

Richie Rich
10-19-2006, 07:03 PM
how'd you know it was an ntour?

was the same length, beam shape and string pattern as the ntour. then again it could have been an htour with a pj. anyway, it was no nsix-one 95.

Steve Huff
10-19-2006, 08:11 PM
I've seen "legal" fakes. These are discontinued rackets that the manufacturer has sold the license to make copies of. The first I saw was the Prince RIP. A guy brought it to me to get restrung and a new bumperguard. The RIP bumperguards wouldn't fit. I called Prince. One of their personnel told me that when a racket is discontinued, they occasionally will sell the license to copy it. However, the company that buys it has no obligation to even match specs. But, without holding them up against one another, it looks the same. I've seen several of these RIP fakes, as Dick's sold them in this area. The 2nd one I saw was also a Prince--a ThunderBolt OS. I knew it looked odd the minute I saw it. This one had the Triple Threat weighting (which the ThunderBolt didn't) and it was 28" long (as opposed to 28.5). This racket was also purchased at Dick's.

kchau
10-19-2006, 08:22 PM
i strung a fake babolat aeropro drive, the customer wanted to string it anyways even though i told him that it will crack.. guess what? it cracked. :)

jonolau
10-19-2006, 09:08 PM
i strung a fake babolat aeropro drive, the customer wanted to string it anyways even though i told him that it will crack.. guess what? it cracked. :)
Thanks for the heads up.

tennisguy2121
10-20-2006, 12:49 AM
ive seen a few, one was supposed to be a n1 i think, except that it was quite heavy, and the frame was a different width. my memory isnt great, but i think it was an n5. someone brought in an aero tour i beleive, that was supposed to be a 3/8, but it wasnt, the people just put a 3/8 but cap on the racquet.

fishuuuuu
10-20-2006, 12:51 AM
I've seen a variety of fakes, usually from players that bring in new racquets from overseas. These racquets are blatant fakes, too.