PDA

View Full Version : grommet keeps coming out when I try to tension string

weed
10-18-2006, 09:16 AM
What do I do when a grommet pulls out of the frame with the string when I tension it? It's my first time stringing a brand new racquet and since a grommet near the throat is not bent, it keeps pulling out so that when I tension the string it touches the frame. I tried bending the grommet like it would be if the racquet had already been strung before but it still pulls out and I tried just putting pressure on it with my fingers but it was too hard to keep it in. What do you guys do?

snoflewis
10-18-2006, 09:30 AM
What do I do when a grommet pulls out of the frame with the string when I tension it? It's my first time stringing a brand new racquet and since a grommet near the throat is not bent, it keeps pulling out so that when I tension the string it touches the frame. I tried bending the grommet like it would be if the racquet had already been strung before but it still pulls out and I tried just putting pressure on it with my fingers but it was too hard to keep it in. What do you guys do?

it was like that w/ my 03HTs. before i tension it, i push the grommet in w/ my thumb, and then tension...it works for me.

psp2
10-18-2006, 10:36 AM

A similar thing happened to me. I replaced a grommet set on a POG mid and started to string it with gut. I got to the 8T main and "pop" goes the gut!! The tensioning string pushed the grommet back into the hole, hence the gut got sliced by the frame. Lesson learned.

As someone mentioned, you can pull tension VERY slowly while pushing on the grommet from the back (use a strong blunt object, if necessary). Worked for me.

Valjean
10-18-2006, 11:31 AM
You should also stick your awl through the grommet, enlarging it so it adheres somewhat to the frame.

Jerry Seinfeld
10-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Sadly some grommets are prone to pulling through the frame. Pretty frustrating, isn't it?

Here are a couple of fixes for you. Get an awl and heat gun. Warm the grommet. Insert the awl part way (from inner frame) and turn in an oval motion. This will help rim or stretch out the grommet so it won't be as easy to slip through.

Even better is an inexpensive tool ($20.00) called "Flare-It." This nifty tool will flare the grommets so you won't have to worry about them pulling through. They are available at a few web sites. The Grand Slam Stringer site has them in their online stringer's tools store. The URL is

https://www.grand slam stringers.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=19&option=com_oscommerce&osMod=index&osCsid=1b851a6896f4102bb8e798fb4b49a95

Just remove the spaces and you should be golden.

weed
10-18-2006, 01:15 PM
thanks alot guys. I'll probably get the flare tool