PDA

View Full Version : I found my holy grail of strings

tennis_nerd22
10-18-2006, 01:47 PM
that's right, the holy grail :rolleyes:

anyways my setup was prince polygut 17g mains and gosen og sheep micro super 16g crosses (strung at 57/56). i love everything about this hybrid and it finally brought the touch of my game back.

i like this over a full gosen job, a full SPPP job, and over a SPPP/gosen hybrid.

and whats better, the price for each stringjob is less than 5 bucks...

i definitely recommend this setup. however the only i will do next time is string the crosses at 54 instead of 56, because the stringer who strung it (a USRSA member) said that the frame (yonex rds 001 mp) bended when he was doing the crosses. so he said next time to put a 3 lb difference instead of just 1. other than that, im sticking to this hybrid.

hope this helps, because its a great combo that you might want to give a try

rscottdds
10-18-2006, 02:08 PM
So what did you like better about it? What didn't you like about the SSP/ Gosen hybrid? I know a lot of people like the SSP/Gosen hybrid with the x's strug a few lbs higher than the mains.
-Robert

Richie Rich
10-18-2006, 02:19 PM
doesn't the prince polygut lose tension pretty quickly?

tennis_nerd22
10-18-2006, 03:37 PM
So what did you like better about it? What didn't you like about the SSP/ Gosen hybrid? I know a lot of people like the SSP/Gosen hybrid with the x's strug a few lbs higher than the mains.
-Robert

mmm to be honest im not exactly sure what it is but its just one of those times where you like something but can't explain why... however i do know that this combo gave me a lot more feel and touch compared to SPPP/gosen hybrid, and i had strung the crosses tighter.

im not sure there's just something i like about this combo. maybe its the tinny sound :D

tennis_nerd22
10-18-2006, 03:39 PM
doesn't the prince polygut lose tension pretty quickly?

ive heard (and am hoping) that it doesn't/won't. however i'll have to get back to you on that, as i only tried it for the first time today. if they lose a bit of tension and then settle in for the rest of their lifespan, then next time maybe i'll string a bit tighter. so i won't say right now.

however even if i have to restring every couple of weeks, 5 bucks isnt too bad. however the 15 dollar labour charge cuz i don't have my own stringing machine (but might be getting one for my birthday) kind of sucks :)

Richie Rich
10-18-2006, 04:05 PM
i used polygut for a bit and found it was soft but did lose tension so was wondering what you thought. it is cheap. yes - get your own stringer. it will pay for itself in no time.

tennis_nerd22
10-20-2006, 11:34 AM
richie rich, the strings have lost a bit of tension, maybe a couple of pounds, but it isnt that bad after 2 days of playing. im sticking to these.

the only thing i dont understand is i got more bite on slices and drop shots from this hybrid compared to a full SPPP job. maybe im stupid :) but i dont understand why that is..

diredesire
10-20-2006, 02:00 PM
I find the "first gen" style type of polys (polygut falls into this category in my opinion) play crisper, and a little deader than copolys such as SPPP, Lux ALU, etc. I prefer this feel over co-polys, so i tend to play with less "performance" style jobs, unless they are full jobs. I'm going to be comparing TF Pro Red Code with Cyberflash coming up in a few days, and playing with them for a week or two before coming to conclusions. Poly gut isn't a bad string at all, for the price it is a darn good deal.

tennis_nerd22
10-20-2006, 02:52 PM
I find the "first gen" style type of polys (polygut falls into this category in my opinion) play crisper, and a little deader than copolys such as SPPP, Lux ALU, etc. I prefer this feel over co-polys, so i tend to play with less "performance" style jobs, unless they are full jobs. I'm going to be comparing TF Pro Red Code with Cyberflash coming up in a few days, and playing with them for a week or two before coming to conclusions. Poly gut isn't a bad string at all, for the price it is a darn good deal.

maybe thats what i felt, cuz i prefer that feel more too. when i did the same hybrid but with SPPP mains (strung a pound lower), there was way too much power. i think combining the older style poly's with the deader feel makes a nicer mix with a syn gut. now there's probably a different type of string that compliments the newer co-poly's more, perhaps a multi?