PDA

View Full Version : soft synthetic string...

gvanzky
10-18-2006, 06:56 PM
what is the softest synthetic sting g16? Loved the og gosen & babolat super fine but w/ my racquet strung at 63lbs to give me more cotrol, it seems that it is starting to give me a wrist trouble since i don't play as much as i used to.

GS
10-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Tecnifibre 515, hands down. I tried all the other "soft" strings out there, since I string at 65 lbs---they all hurt my arm. And don't bother with TF's X-1 Biphase or the NRG2, for lots of reasons. And don't bother with Alpha Gut 2000, either. It's either 515 or natural gut, in my little opinion....

snoflewis
10-18-2006, 07:22 PM
what is the softest synthetic sting g16? Loved the og gosen & babolat super fine but w/ my racquet strung at 63lbs to give me more cotrol, it seems that it is starting to give me a wrist trouble since i don't play as much as i used to.

from what you described, i'd recommend that you get your technique checked...if you don't play as much, you're probably wristing through balls to get more topspin and keep the ball down...but of course, i could be wrong. also, what racket are you currently using?

gvanzky
10-18-2006, 07:54 PM
from what you described, i'd recommend that you get your technique checked...if you don't play as much, you're probably wristing through balls to get more topspin and keep the ball down...but of course, i could be wrong. also, what racket are you currently using?

i'm using hps 6.1 OS. yes! i'm adding more spin to keep the ball down, but that was my stroke before. I used to play at least 4-5 times a week, but for the past 8mo, i get to hit the ball 1-2x/week for about 1-1/12 hr. i've been using this racquet for almost 4 yrs i think & never had a problem. i'm thinking that i need a softer and bites the ball. i tried x-cel before and i like it, but it's just to expensive for me.

counterpuncher
10-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Not a 16g, but Iso-Speed 1.25 is softer than just about any synthetic out there including TF 515.

Steve Huff
10-18-2006, 10:29 PM
The softest is Vollmer Boris Becker Super String. I'm not saying it's good, just soft. It's too soft. It's mushy. TF 515 is a soft, playable string. Alpha Prodigy feels a lot like 515, but seems to hold its tension better. Alpha Sphere has a softer "feel", but also seems to have more control. It's a different feel, but all of those I've strung it for (including myself) have really liked it.

gvanzky
10-19-2006, 11:51 AM
The softest is Vollmer Boris Becker Super String. I'm not saying it's good, just soft. It's too soft. It's mushy. TF 515 is a soft, playable string. Alpha Prodigy feels a lot like 515, but seems to hold its tension better. Alpha Sphere has a softer "feel", but also seems to have more control. It's a different feel, but all of those I've strung it for (including myself) have really liked it.

how do you compare the tf 515, alphas, volkl to babolat x-cel? on power, keeping tension and feel coz i like the mushy feel of xcel, it's just to expensive.

Steve Huff
10-19-2006, 01:03 PM
I think the Alpha Prodigy holds its tension better than 515. Alpha Sphere holds its tension well also, but has a different feel than the other multi's I've tried. When I first tried Alpha Sphere, I'd aim the ball to a certain area, the ball would feel as if it were going longer than I aimed, but then the ball would land just where I aimed (it didn't go as long as the initial feel of the strings). After a couple of times playing with it, I really liked it. Other multi's made the ball land shorter than I aimed for a while.
I only tried the Volkl multi once. It broke while warming up, so I can't really comment on it too much, other than it hit very well for that short period. I haven't tried XCell, but I have tried the Attraction Power 17. It felt nice, but didn't have as much power as I expected.

Valjean
10-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Prince's Premier with Softflex.

snoflewis
10-19-2006, 03:19 PM
btw OP, are you asking for a synthetic gut string? or any synthetic string (meaning anything besides gut)?

gvanzky
10-19-2006, 03:48 PM
btw OP, are you asking for a synthetic gut string? or any synthetic string (meaning anything besides gut)?

synthetic string (not natural gut "to expensive for me). coz a string would only last me for like about 4-5 hrs max. soft but the cheapest if possible.

Valjean
10-19-2006, 03:56 PM
If you plan to buy your own string set here, say, then Ektelon Power Play--formerly Prince's Synthetic Gut Soft--would suit your wallet: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACPRINCE-PPP16.html

gvanzky
10-20-2006, 12:41 PM
thanks for your info!