PDA

View Full Version : Silent Partner question re: dropweight (posted for rich s)

wfudeac
10-18-2006, 07:29 PM
This message is for Rich S, since he provided some useful help on the SP Swing but can't receive emails. Anyway, I have a SP Swing and wanted to make sure I had the dropweight alignment correct. As I understand it, you have to have the left side of the dropweight aligned with the tension you want, and not the right side. However, this means that the sticker on the dropweight when it was shipped to me is incorrect, since it says "Tennis" and has an arrow on the right side and not the left. Should I take the weight off and flip it around, or just align the tension on the left side and disregard the sticker?

Also, when I string my first cross, what does the clamp hold onto when I apply tension, since there is only one cross? My friend says that since there is nothing for the clamp to hold on to, you actually have to string the first two crosses and then tension them both at the same time. Is that right?

For the crosses, does the clamp hang from the bottom or do you clamp on top?

wfudeac
10-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Another question: When doing the crosses, does the first cross go over or under the first main, or does it matter, as long as you alternate? When you begin the second cross underneath the first (top-down) do you start the same way (over or under) the last cross finished?

Nuke
10-19-2006, 04:42 AM
Flip the weight around, although it hardly makes any difference as long as you read the scale on the left side.

For the first cross, clamp on the tensioned string and put a piece of scrap on the other side of the clamp to keep things even. The clamp holds because the fingers of the clamp are pushed down between the mains (clamp from above, not below), so the mains keep the clamp in place. No, don't tension crosses two at a time -- there's too much friction in the weave for it to even out.

Except for that first cross, which should be clamped from the top, I don't think it matters much whether you place the clamp above or below for the crosses.

If you don't have staggered grommets, then it doesn't matter if the first cross goes over or under the first main it encounters. The next cross may or may not start the same way, since it may begin one main farther out than the first cross. Just make sure you start it so that it alternates with the first cross when they go over the same mains.

wfudeac
10-19-2006, 05:12 AM
ok so basically what you're saying is that I can keep the weight like it is, as long as I align it on the left side. I may as well flip it even though it would look different from the way it looks in the owner's manual diagram ( with the fat part of the weight on the outside.)

I don't have staggered grommets (using a babolat Pure Drive Team). The advice regarding making sure the second cross alternates with the first cross on whatever mains they both go over makes perfect sense, thanks!

rich s
10-19-2006, 03:51 PM
ok so basically what you're saying is that I can keep the weight like it is, as long as I align it on the left side. I may as well flip it even though it would look different from the way it looks in the owner's manual diagram ( with the fat part of the weight on the outside.)

yes you can leave it or flip it or you can leave it and peel the sticker off the "outside" face and restick it to the "inside" face.

I don't have staggered grommets (using a babolat Pure Drive Team).....

then you can weave the first cross at your preference.