PDA

View Full Version : Want to try poly strings...opinions?

pickles1107
10-19-2006, 06:05 AM
Hi all,
First a little background:
I am 20 and I've been playing tennis casually for about 8 years. Always used cheap synthetics. I'm playing more and more now (about 4 times/week) and want to try poly strings to see what all the rave is about. My game is mostly baseliner but will come to net if given the oportunity. Nice topspin forehand (semi-western i think) and weak 2hbh.
Right now I'm playing Gamma TNT2 17 at 57 pounds in my Mfil 200 (18*20) because I got a bunch of free packs with my stringer.

I found a reel of CyberFlash 17 for around $50 and alot of people seem to like this string.

I would also be interested in trying SPPP, Luxilon, super smash honey/spikey, TF Redcode, Gosen Polylon SP, etc.

I also read that people don't like full poly jobs in dense patterns. What is the basis for this?

Anybody care to comment?

alan-n
10-19-2006, 06:13 AM
Polys are very stiff, dense patterns feel like you are hitting with a board. Lower tension with polys help but it doesn't make the string any less stiffer than it is. If you decide to go full poly, string it at least 5lbs lower.... don't be afraid to string it 8lbs lower than you normally do with other strings. If you end up thinking polys are too stiff than try a hybrid setup or just give up on polys.

Valjean
10-19-2006, 10:53 AM
There isn't a "rave" about polys; there is a necessity, though--provided you break your string so frequently you don't know what to do. The trade-off, more often than not, is significant shoulder and arm trouble, sooner or later. Do a board search here for more on it.

whomprat
10-19-2006, 11:29 AM
I use an m-fil 200, and I was using synthetic guts, but I was breaking them after a couple days, so I tried out the laserfibre polytour(mains) with the laserfibre class 17G for the crosses at 55lb and it feels very nice, and lasts a couple weeks before I cut it out. I believe the polytour is very similar to the kirschbaum super smash string. I actually like the feel of this setup more than any of the full synthetic jobs I tried. I seem to be playing better with it as well, and the spin seems very heavy, but it may just be in my head. :)

Whomp.

pickles1107
10-19-2006, 01:05 PM
There isn't a "rave" about polys; there is a necessity, though--provided you break your string so frequently you don't know what to do. The trade-off, more often than not, is significant shoulder and arm trouble, sooner or later. Do a board search here for more on it.

Nope. I'm not a string breaker by any means. I could use a 17g synthetic and it would last me for a couple months. In this case, is there not even a need for me to use a poly?

armand
10-19-2006, 01:34 PM
I'm not a string breaker neither and have had some arm problems but I recently switched to full poly and love it. I was using natural gut before(and tried buncha multis) but I'll never go back. No arm problems either!

Kevo
10-19-2006, 10:57 PM
Nope. I'm not a string breaker by any means. I could use a 17g synthetic and it would last me for a couple months. In this case, is there not even a need for me to use a poly?

If I were you I'd get a reel of Klipper Zyex 17g and be very happy for a long time. Unfortunately I am a string breaker and that doesn't work for me money wise. These days I find that the number one thing I look at is how much will it cost per stringing, and second is how long does it last. If I can get 2 weeks then I'm pretty happy.

AJK1
10-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Poly's have no power, and lose tension very quickly, they have very good control, that's why they are suited to better players, they don't need the power, they need the control.

Bent
10-20-2006, 12:28 AM
Try Tecnifibre Spinfire 18g for M and Ashaway Liberty 16g for X.

A cheap and nice poly setup with a durable and soft X.

fishuuuuu
10-20-2006, 01:15 AM
As with all other strings, with cost you get what you pay for. So using the premium strings of a string type will always yield the best results and anything else will yield subpar results.

That said, Luxilon, Signum Pro, and several others make exceptional polyester-type strings, namely Luxilon for Big Banger ALU Power.

Valjean
10-20-2006, 03:56 PM
That's right. Coming from a TNT string, no stringbreaker and wanting to try out something else, I'd recommend you do a multifilament now, instead. Best transition string from what you used last might be one of two Tecnifibre products. Both are still somewhat firm; the softer is their newest, Multifeel, and their TrC is the control version.

tennis_nerd22
10-20-2006, 03:59 PM
beware of a lack of feel with poly's. other than that they're pretty good

Chicken Neck
10-20-2006, 04:27 PM
I am using the Cyber Flash now and love it. You may lose some power with the poly but you will see an increase in control. You will also have the ability to take a nice full cut at the ball without as much fear of hitting long.

aussie
10-20-2006, 06:52 PM
I use Wilson Enduro Mono (1.28mm) as a full string job and will never go back to syn or multis. The benefits I find over say a Gosen OG Sheep Micro syn gut job are that I can string the poly at a much lower tension than the syn gut which gives a bigger sweet spot, pockets the ball well, and more power. Plus, even though the tension is low, the strings don't move around at all. I do not have arm, elbow or shoulder problems and am not a string breaker. I have played at a high club level for 30 years.

SteveI
10-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Hi all,
First a little background:
I am 20 and I've been playing tennis casually for about 8 years. Always used cheap synthetics. I'm playing more and more now (about 4 times/week) and want to try poly strings to see what all the rave is about. My game is mostly baseliner but will come to net if given the oportunity. Nice topspin forehand (semi-western i think) and weak 2hbh.
Right now I'm playing Gamma TNT2 17 at 57 pounds in my Mfil 200 (18*20) because I got a bunch of free packs with my stringer.

I found a reel of CyberFlash 17 for around $50 and alot of people seem to like this string.

I would also be interested in trying SPPP, Luxilon, super smash honey/spikey, TF Redcode, Gosen Polylon SP, etc.

I also read that people don't like full poly jobs in dense patterns. What is the basis for this?

Anybody care to comment?

Hi,

The set-up I use most of the time is Gosen SP 17 (mains) and a soft syn gut (Forten Sweet, Gosen O/G Micro, Ashawy Liberty) crosses. The frame I use has a 16 x 19 string pattern so it is more open than the 200G. The SP 17 plays much like a syn gut and is one of the softer and arm-friendly polys out there. Doing a hybrid with a soft syn gut creates a nice soft felling stringbed that can create nice spin and power and is easy on the arm. In addition, this set-up has a very price/performance ratio. A reel of the SP is $50.00 for 660 feet and reels of the syn guts listed above are some of the best priced products on the market. I hope this infomation is of some help to you.

Regards,
Steve

BaseLineBash
10-21-2006, 01:25 PM
beware of a lack of feel with poly's. other than that they're pretty good
True, they play dead after your fresh stringing and they play dead before you need them cut-out, but they aren't made to be a feel string they're are made for power hitters that want a consistant range(depending on your tension and power you produce).

WhiteSox05CA
10-21-2006, 01:32 PM
What's a common hybrid setup with polys?
________
MegaBoobs4U (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/MegaBoobs4U)

tennis_nerd22
10-21-2006, 02:24 PM
True, they play dead after your fresh stringing and they play dead before you need them cut-out, but they aren't made to be a feel string they're are made for power hitters that want a consistant range(depending on your tension and power you produce).

basically for baseliners, but ya they let you swing out

SteveI
10-21-2006, 03:12 PM
What's a common hybrid setup with polys?

Poly in the mains and something soft in the crosses... or just the opposite. There are numerous combinations. The most common on this board as of late seems to be SPPP and OG Micro. Others would be SP 17 and something.. Hurrican and something.. etc.

Regards,
Steve