PDA

View Full Version : I need the exact definition of a TWEENER?

frankseven
08-07-2004, 06:59 AM
Or what does this word mean to you...my tennis partner, thinks this is the funniest word.

Steve H.
08-07-2004, 08:31 AM
In the beginning, all tennis racquets were small-headed, flexible, and swung like logs. In fact they were made from logs. Then somebody got the bright idea of using materials other than wood (graphite, boron, kevlar, titanium, kryptonite, etc) which made it possible to make racquets bigger and lighter, and therefore easier to swing and hit the ball at great speeds. For a while people getting into tennis thought this was great and bought racquets as large, light, and stiff as possible; meanwhile more serious players stuck closer to the wood model, creating a chasm between "game improvement" and "player's" racquets.

Then a little after that, somebody got the bright idea of splitting the difference, of making frames 'between' the old heavy style and the oversize flyswatters. Hence the name 'tweener' for a racquet around 10 or 11 ounces, with a midplus or slightly oversize head size.

rich s
08-07-2004, 08:43 AM
After you get the definition of TWEENER lets try to get the definition of a HEAVY ball. :D

Virgilio
08-07-2004, 09:20 AM
Great, thanks for the info, I myself always asked myself what the meaning could be but never asked for it...I thought a tweener racquet wasn't something too good, lol, was I wrong.

NoBadMojo
08-07-2004, 09:52 AM
a heavy ball is one which has a certain combination of pace and spin which causes it to actually feel heavier on your opponents racquet and also shoots thru the court faster than you think it might. most usually heavy racquets are the only ones that can hit a heavy ball. ie sampras had a very heavy serve (heavy racquet) altho not the fastest, and roddick (lighter racquet) while having a very fast serve doesnt really hit a heavy serve. ed

David Pavlich
08-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Hey Ed! I thought a heavy ball was what you had after playing for an hour on a hydro-rubico court?!

David

barry
08-07-2004, 10:27 AM
NoBadMojo

Actually, a head heavy racquet generates a heavy ball. A 12-point head light racquet does not, unless you have a super swing. Weight in the head makes a shot feel heavier when struck. Probably why the Sampras frame had all the lead tape at 9 and 3. Question is can you control the power, Sampras could.