PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Strings

WhiteSox05CA
10-19-2006, 04:19 PM
So as I understand this, the Mains are the strings used for the majority of the spin put on the ball when hit. And the crosses are used for power? Is this correct? What is a good type of hybrid setup with string types? Such as polyester for the mains and synthetic gut for the crosses. What's a common hybrid selection?
________
Marijuana Bubbler (http://bubblers.net/)

AUSSIEEEEEE
10-19-2006, 04:29 PM
From what i know you are correct more or less. You are correct that the mains are where the strings have the most effect on spin(but most spin is generated by your stroke) I am not so sure about the crosses giving the power, both strings mains and crosses give the power (i dont know all that much) A very popular hybrid that i am trying out now is SPPP (signum pro poly plasma) and gosen og sheep micro, i like it alot. Hope this helps, others who know more than me will probably respond as well.

Fist
10-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Aussieee, you play exactly what I play, very nice setup. As far as the mains, they provide power and spin (as much as your strings can, that is). The crosses provide more of the feel of the stringbed. However, these are not mutually exclusive, meaning that some power is supplied by the crosses and some feel is provided by the mains.

WhiteSox05CA
10-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Gotcha, so is this a common string setup you were talking about? The SPPP and the Goosen? Can I get it at my local pro shop? Why is it good?
________
CALIFORNIA DISPENSARY (http://california.dispensaries.org/)

Fist
10-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Its good depending on your game. Signum Pro Poly Plasma is a great poly string, but that doesnt mean its a great string for your game. If you dont hit with significant spin AND significant rackethead speed, you neednt look at polys. Their benefits will not be found and many other strings will MUCH better suit your game. However, if you swing very hard and use spin (as you would have to in order to swing very hard), then polys might suit your game. The SPPP is popular because it is easier on the arm than many polys, has almost no power, has a deadened feel to it, seems to give better spin than synthetic gut, but most of all: it holds its tension better than nearly any other poly string out there. Its a nice hybrid because its soft and holds tension, yet gives the user the other attributes of poly strings (spin, no power, dead feel).

MTChong
10-19-2006, 09:47 PM
So as I understand this, the Mains are the strings used for the majority of the spin put on the ball when hit. And the crosses are used for power? Is this correct? What is a good type of hybrid setup with string types? Such as polyester for the mains and synthetic gut for the crosses. What's a common hybrid selection?

The mains also contribute a large amount of power; if the tension was exactly the same, negating string-on-string friction, then the mains would provide more power than the crosses because the longer string length.

What do you currently use; and what are you looking for out of it?

WhiteSox05CA
10-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Currently I'm using Wilson Reaction 16 gauge @ 62 lbs. It's been on for about a month. I do hit with high racquet head speed, and put a good deal of spin on the ball on my groundstrokes. I just thought that a hybrid setup would be more efficent.

Also...
What's a comon hybrid setup? If I get a job done at a shop or by a local pro, will it cost the same as a regular stringing? Will I be charged for two sets of strings? Is polyester usually used for the mains in these situations? Is synthetic gut used for the crosses? Thanks.
________
WATERBONGS (http://glassbongs.org/)

MTChong
10-20-2006, 05:22 PM
If a multifilament lasts you one month, that is good. However, if you really want, you can cut down costs by putting the Reaction in the mains and a cheap synthetic cross like Gosen Micro.

As to your questions, the set-ups vary; some people that like the play of poly use that with a softer cross to make it softer. Others use it to cut down costs of a premium multi or natural gut. It's all down to what you like; you have to give them a go. Also, a hybrid needs two packages of string, and those two packages can generally accomodate two racquets. If, however, half-sets are available, then you could purchase two half-sets to hybrid instead of cutting full sets in half.

WhiteSox05CA
10-21-2006, 12:37 PM
So if I wanted to try poly for the mains, then I would want something softer with more feel for the crosses right? If so, what what type of string? Does synthetic gut offer a soft feel?
________
Laguna Bay Condos Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

<3Tennis
10-21-2006, 12:38 PM
just a quick question...

how long does the SPPP and Micro Sheep hybrid last?

was considering this hybrid....

sry bout breaking up ur thread here =[.... im currently using SP 17 and Superfine Play hybrid setup.. it feels pretty good except for the tension loss

WhiteSox05CA
10-21-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm looking for a softer string that I could use for the crosses with a polyester, something like Luxilon ALU or Babolat Hurrican Tour, string for the mains. What would complement a string like these polyesters?
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

MTChong
10-21-2006, 05:14 PM
I would avoid multifilament crosses because they get eaten up; I would recommend the following:
Head Synthetic Gut PPS
Gosen OG Micro
Forten Sweet
Ektelon PowerPlay

Perhaps some others will chime in - if you really want to spend the money, go for multi or even gut crosses, but beware, for the multi anyways, durability will be pretty shabby most likely.

WhiteSox05CA
10-21-2006, 07:29 PM
So would synthetic gut be a good choice for the crosses? Any brand or type in peticular that is good? What about tension for the two? I heard polyester should be strung lower than usual. I'm using a full set strung @ 61 lbs. So for my mains, I would use the polyester strung at like 57 lbs.?
________
Vaporizer-Info (http://johan-luis.tumblr.com/)