PDA

View Full Version : what is natural gut made out of...im a vegetarian

MonkeyMan123
10-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Hi

I want to use natural gut on my babolat aeropro drive, but if they do kill the animals for natural gut, then im not gona use it.

Do they just use already dead animals to make the natural gut or do they kill the animals just to make it?

What body parts of the animals are used to make natural gut anyways?

AJK1
10-19-2006, 10:11 PM
I've heard they use monkeys for gut in Asian countries, they make a nice soup too!

kchau
10-19-2006, 10:18 PM
they dont specifically kill cows just to make natrual gut, im pretty sure that they buy the part from the meat companies..

they use like part of the digestive system.

tw's natural gut 101: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Naturalgut.html

Bent
10-19-2006, 11:24 PM
You are not supposed to EAT the strings

ryohazuki222
10-19-2006, 11:41 PM
... but CAN you eat the strings? ... it'll taste like beef jerky, right? :)

fishuuuuu
10-19-2006, 11:46 PM
Haha go to sleep ryo ;)

It's coated with layers of chemical protection!

ryohazuki222
10-20-2006, 12:34 AM
but what if you get them uncoated... like this one...

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACKLIP-KLIPLUC16.html

THEN it would taste like beef jerky, correct?

Young Pete
10-20-2006, 01:09 AM
its made out of cats!

Young Pete
10-20-2006, 01:10 AM

try chewing a stray gut string, its very chewy

MonkeyMan123
10-20-2006, 07:32 AM
You are not supposed to EAT the strings

Ya, i know, but, im not gona use natural gut if they kill the cows to make it..
so do they kill the cows to mkae natural gut or not?:confused:

mileslong
10-20-2006, 07:38 AM
mmmmm cats, the other white meat...

mucat
10-20-2006, 08:08 AM
Ya, i know, but, im not gona use natural gut if they kill the cows to make it..
so do they kill the cows to mkae natural gut or not?:confused:

Isn't it less humane to take the gut out when the cow is alive?

psp2
10-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Hi

I want to use natural gut on my babolat aeropro drive, but if they do kill the animals for natural gut, then im not gona use it.

Do they just use already dead animals to make the natural gut or do they kill the animals just to make it?

What body parts of the animals are used to make natural gut anyways?

Move on to synthetic materials, for NATURAL gut is made from cow's intestines.

Nextman916
10-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Since your a vegetarian........its made out of salad and broccoli. Dont worry its safe.

Valjean
10-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Here: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Naturalgut.html

mucat
10-20-2006, 08:55 AM
Lets say a cow got cancer in its intestine, can we use synthetic gut to replace the natural gut and save the cow?

In this pic
http://rs.tennis-warehouse.com/tw/img/page12.jpg
they just look like noodles?

power_play21
10-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Of course they dont kill a frickin cow just to make natural gut strings. that would be a waste of a cow.

and off course they dont buy 100 cows and wait for them to die to get the natural gut.

like someone pointed out, they jsut buy the guts from meat industry, so no one knows whats done to get to teh point of the guts being sold.

that is such a ridiculous thing. think about it. you only live once. life is short. why the truck would you want to go through that one experience not enjoying the best strings ever, or a suculent angus beef hamburger?

that just makes me wonder... and mouth water for a burger!

LoveThisGame
10-20-2006, 06:17 PM
When cows (or pigs or goats or chickens or ...) are slaughtered (industry term, not used here for any effect) for meat, slaughterers look for ways to sell the parts they do not need rather than dispose of them some other way.

Some unbelievable things go in to what are called variety meats. Bones can be used to make gelatin, etc.

(I did work a decade for a manufacturing company in the meat industry.)

So, I wouldn't worry about using natural gut strings. They certainly are something to enjoy.

MonkeyMan123
10-20-2006, 08:02 PM
When cows (or pigs or goats or chickens or ...) are slaughtered (industry term, not used here for any effect) for meat, slaughterers look for ways to sell the parts they do not need rather than dispose of them some other way..

hey man, thanks a lot for answering my question ..this was the only response that helped of the 17 lol. I think im gona use the natural gut because i learned from u that they are killing the cows for the meat, not for the gut..the gut is just being used from the already dead cow rather than being disposed...i guess im okay with that

MTChong
10-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Basically, it's a part of the cow that isn't used for much else, so the string companies just buy them and manufacture natural gut out of it. Cows aren't killed for the string, but the string is derived from the cow still. So you should be fine using it.

AJK1
10-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Don't be so sure that meat is the only reason cows are killed. All the other uses for their parts and intestines are big business too!

aznspongehead
10-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Don't be so sure that meat is the only reason cows are killed. All the other uses for their parts and intestines are big business too!

I think there are more beef-eaters than natural-gut-users in this world... :rolleyes:

plarazza
10-21-2006, 12:24 AM
Natural Gut is made outa a cows intestine called the serosa. It is regarded the best because of the molecular structure of this serosa. It is great at withstanding stretching and contraction and has great elasticity. Companies just pick up these left over from all ready dead cows and make natural gut out of them

mucat
10-21-2006, 12:49 AM
hey man, thanks a lot for answering my question ..this was the only response that helped of the 17 lol. I think im gona use the natural gut because i learned from u that they are killing the cows for the meat, not for the gut..the gut is just being used from the already dead cow rather than being disposed...i guess im okay with that

So, I guess eating cow tail or cow tongue is ok for you as a vegetarian too...
Just use the damn gut and stop comforting yourself with excuses!! Yes!! They have to kill the cow for the gut!!

Bent
10-21-2006, 01:59 AM
Lets say a cow got cancer in its intestine, can we use synthetic gut to replace the natural gut and save the cow?

In this pic
http://rs.tennis-warehouse.com/tw/img/page12.jpg
they just look like noodles?

returner
10-21-2006, 06:49 AM
same logic applies to buying leather couch, tennis shoes, leather grips.

Lakoste
10-21-2006, 07:51 AM
Are you a vegan or vegetarian? I always thought vegetarians could use animal byproducts, unless you're doing it as a personal choice or something...

slice bh compliment
10-21-2006, 07:59 AM
Calfskin grip? Leather interior on a car? That's a no-no for the vegetarians, isn't it? I'm an offender on both counts, sorry.
My mother's friend is a strict vegetarian. She drives one of the few Mercedes Benzes withOUT leather interior. But I bet there are leather shoes in her closet.

racingdad23
10-21-2006, 08:35 AM

Jerky is made from beef. But if you like "Chitlins" you might find nat gut a bit tasty :)

Chitlins = http://smilies.vidahost.com/cwm/cwm/puke.gif

hummer23
10-21-2006, 09:11 AM
As mentioned above there are several uses for the intestines of a cow, besides gut strings. Similar parts are used for the casings of sausage if i remember correctly, with the small sack above intestine, the serosa, useful for strings. If you are a vegitarian, and feel it is wrong to kill animals for food, or other purposes, use synthetic gut. You won't be missing out on too much, and you can use that extra cash you save on some very nice sets of syn gut, that really do mimic the feel of gut.

slice bh compliment
10-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Yeah, there's a German company that makes artificial stomach lining, for surgeons. They also make some materials that are amazingly gut-like for tennis. LaserFibre markets the product as SuperNatural Gut. It is way more gut-like than Sensation, Tecnifibre or anything else I have hit with.

I think Luxilon is actually also in the medical industry as well.