PDA

View Full Version : Basic Stringing Questions (SP Swing)

gfdoto
10-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Got my SP Swing yesterday and strung an old racquet last night, but I had a couple concerns/questions during the process that I hope you guys can help answer.

1. How tight should the flying clamps be? The instruction manual said that if the clamps are leaving marks on the string then it's too tight. As I was stringing I was gliding my fingers over the strings and I definitely felt that the clamp had deformed the surface of the strings a little bit so I made them a bit looser but I don't know how to make sure that they are not too loose, resulting in loss of tension.

2. When starting the crosses, the manual states that the mains are enough to hold the tension when I have the first cross on one side of the clamp and a dummy string on the other. I was not comfortable with this, since I saw the clamp move a bit when I raised the drop weight. Am I doing something wrong or is this movement ok?

3. I was having a hard time with using the clutch as described in the manual. I found it impossible to lift the arm while holding the gripper after I drop the weight but if I lift the arm to near vertical position, it became a lot easier. Any advice on this?

Thanks for the help.

aussie
10-20-2006, 06:34 PM
I use a Klippermate so I can't comment on the clutch system of the Swing, but as to the clamps leaving impressions on the string, I wouldn't worry too much. I 've probably got my clamps adjusted too tight as the clamps actually flatten the string somewhat, but I find that this neither affects playability or durability. I'd rather the clamps be a little too tight and hold the strings tightly than have them too loose and let the string slip a little.

I've watched the Silent Partner video on stringing on an eStringer, and had my doubts about pulling that first cross and using the clamp on top with a dummy piece of string. Surely there must be major tension loss doing it that way. I pull the first 2 crosses together after raising the tension +8 lbs and find that works well.

gfdoto
10-21-2006, 12:38 AM
I guess I was worried about how tight the clamps were because someone suggested that SPPP could potentially break if clamped too tightly. That's the main thing I'm worried about with the tight clamps - premature string breaking.

max
10-21-2006, 10:02 AM
It's not something to worry much about.

CoconutGT
10-24-2006, 11:57 PM
I've just strung my 2nd racquet with SP swing thirty minutes ago. Here's my insights to your question.

1. Clamp tightness. After stringing my first racquet last night, I know that I used the clamp too tight because I also feel the deformation on the string. So, for the 2nd racquet today, I reduced the tightness considerably. Thus, during the tensioning of the second main, the clamp slipped. Of course I have to start over, but now I get the 'feel' of the clamp tightness on the string I'm working with. The bottom line is that you have to kind of get a feel to it (in general). Another method I use is before stringing is to test the string with the clamp first to see how far you can reduce the tightness so that you won't deform the string.

2. Starting cross. I was surprised last night about how the clamp use the main to hold tension as well. Personally, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I use the dummy string to get my clamp to hold the string properly then proceed normally.

3. Clutch system. I love the clutch system on my SP swing. I noticed that the more tension the the string has, the harder to use the clutch. So, try to get it horizontal in the first two clutch pulls.

I'm going to string two more dummy racquets before I string my main playing racquet tomorrow. Wish me luck :)

FYI: My first racquet took me 2 hours to string. The second one I just did took 1 hour and 20 minutes.

max
10-25-2006, 06:00 AM
I haven't worked the clutch system; I use a K-mate. But it seems to me that they both work equally well, since I usually get the right amount and don't have to tweak it a lot. But I REALLY like the ease of the K-mate metal clamps.

aussie
10-25-2006, 08:49 PM
Once again, don't get too hung up about the clamps leaving impressions on the strings. Better to have the clamps a little too tight than not tight enough and have the strings slip. Slight impressions on the string don't seem to affect durability or playability and remember that they are not in the hitting area.

gfdoto
10-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Strung my racquet with Topspin Cyber Flash last night and the clamping issue was bugging me again, but I decided it wasn't worth losing sleep over. Played with the racquet today and it was great. The extra effort for stringing with poly definitely paid off. I did find that my knots weren't as tight and neat though...

unkast
11-17-2006, 09:04 AM
What do I do if I clutch too much, and the bar is above horizontal? Is there a way to remove the string and re-tension it?

Nuke
11-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Just lift the bar and push/pull the string a bit farther back in the open gripper. No need to remove the string and start again -- just add an inch of slack and try again.

unkast
11-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Oh, I see now. String can come out if you push it the right way. Thanks.