PDA

View Full Version : Brief G-Starr Review

larrhall
08-07-2004, 02:30 PM
I can not recall if there is one or two 'r's' in G-Starr. I bought one anyhow, and like the frame. It is somewhat stiff still responsive, packs a nice punch, and is pretty mobile despite what is, for me, a perilously close-to-even balance. Meaning I am used to head-light frames. There was some initial wrist pain but as a well-known racquethead pointed out, stringing at 63 lbs with Isospeed 17 probably caused that. The strings have loosened and the comfort has increased. The spin does seem decent though not great. Just a solid frame, strikes me as a mix between a Head Prestige, a Dunlop Tour Pro and a Gamma Trad 20.

larrhall
08-07-2004, 04:06 PM
A few other comments -

The head size seems about 95096 si to me, not 98. I compared it to a 97 si Prince and a 90 si Yonex and it does not seem a true midplus.

Also, the racquet is quite stable, as most stiff frames are.

And...the balance feels right. I can't define 'right' but it's one of those things. For example, the PS 6.0 85 balance always felt right when I hit with it, 6.1 did not.

Pro_Tour_630
08-07-2004, 08:45 PM
the G is looking more and more like a Dunlop tour pro with 18X20,

mmcwill1969
08-16-2004, 08:44 PM
I've had my G-Starr over a month, and I still like it. My main ***** about the frame, however, is that it's heavy enough that my racquet speed has slowed way down during serving. I depend on a lot of slice and it's hard to whip the racquet up when serving. In practical terms, my 2nd serve is not as consistent now -- it either goes long or into the net, as I'm constantly trying to adjust. I guess the trick would be to toss way out in front, so I'm still trying to do that consistently to get some rhythym back into my second serve.

larrhall
08-17-2004, 08:37 AM
That makes sense. It is kind of a club. However, I wouldn't toss way out in front on a second serve to remedy what you're experiencing. Instead, I would try to generate more racquet head speed by holding the handle looser and really snapping through it while trying for kick. That is, hit the 'bottom of the ball' while making your racquet path pretty much lateral - 'towards the fence' is how my coach used to put it.

You might also cut a little off the grip to lighten the frame a bit and lower swing weight marginally.

I still like the way this one swings, but agree with you about its swingweight. Kind of a chore.

BDAZ
08-19-2004, 06:12 PM
larry, if i recall, you have used the head ti. fire pro edition. in the feedback section, someone said that it looks like the same mold without the torsion bar (was that you? i don't recall.). i also have the fire pro. i was wondering how the two compare.

larrhall
08-19-2004, 06:21 PM
BDAZ, I'd refer you to Michael's comment above. You have a good memory on the Fire Pro, though.

Similarities - stiffness, though Fire Pro played stiffer, probably due to stabilizer bar. Beam width - the same, I guess.

Differences - I just don't think this frame is 98 si. I put it on top of my 90 si RD Tours and a 97 si Prince Graphite II. It wasn't so much bigger (head size than the Yonies), and was clearly smaller than the Prince.

Another difference is that the Fire Pro was somewhat head-light. Without adding weight (I added a heavier grip and some lead), the G-Starr is nearly even-balance.

I read the comments in the threads and on the feedback sections that this is a Head frame. To me it plays more like the Dunlop Tour frames, eerily so.

mmcwill1969
08-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Larry, thanks for the suggestions of keeping the grip loose; I'll try to work on that a bit.

I added two 3" strips of lead (about 4 grams) to the handle to reduce the swingweight a tad. I don't know if it's my imagination, but changing the balance just a point seems to have made a big difference in how it feels in my hand, although I haven't gotten out to hit with it.

NoBadMojo
08-19-2004, 08:00 PM
dont think you can reduce the swingweight by adding weight..even if you add the weight in the handle area. you can obviously make it more headlight though. ed

mmcwill1969
08-20-2004, 09:23 AM
A bit of twisted logic, perhaps. Mea culpa --

MM

mmcwill1969
08-20-2004, 09:48 AM
However, if adding weight to the handle doesn't reduce swingweight, how is it that racquets that weigh more than the G-Starr have lower swingweights? Less mass in the head?

NoBadMojo
08-20-2004, 09:50 AM
no worries mm...i think it is a common misconception. ed

larrhall
08-20-2004, 10:18 AM
yes, mmc, because their weight distribution is quite different. The balance point is so head-light compared to a slightly heavier, even-balanced racquet that the SW is lower (in general, not in reference to the G-Starr or any other frame).