PDA

View Full Version : Chris Evert divorces husband Andy Mill

Mick
10-20-2006, 05:32 PM
BOCA RATON, Fla. (AP) -- Former tennis star Chris Evert and husband Andy Mill said Friday that they're divorcing after 18 years of marriage.

more at:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-evertdivorce&prov=ap&type=lgns

ACE of Hearts
10-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Geez, i would be sick sticking with someone for 18 years.:rolleyes: :mrgreen:

Mick
10-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Geez, i would be sick sticking with someone for 18 years.:rolleyes: :mrgreen:

That's a long lasting marriage for a tennis player because we all know "Love" means nothing to a tennis player http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif

maverick66
10-20-2006, 07:57 PM
i hate news like this. let these people have there personal life. this is between her family not us. i dont know why this even comes up.

Mick
10-20-2006, 08:04 PM
i hate news like this. let these people have there personal life. this is between her family not us. i dont know why this even comes up.

They issued a statement saying their marriage was over and that's how this made to the news.

breakfast_of_champions
10-20-2006, 10:18 PM
2 divorces for the ice maiden now. always thought andy was a gigalo.

bdawg
10-20-2006, 10:27 PM
who cares?

scineram
10-21-2006, 04:00 AM
"Love" means nothing to a tennis player http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif
ROTFLMAO

CanadianChic
10-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Hey you guys, before you all start casting judgement do we even know what the precipitating factors are?

Grimjack
10-30-2006, 04:08 AM
untrue. i talk to her all the time and shes very friendly. she is still very competive as she hits with the top girls at her academy.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with what he's saying. He's saying she was a legendary **** in the 70's.

Edit: :roll:

I mean, legendary prostitute.

dirtballer
10-30-2006, 05:47 AM
There's a rumor that she's seeing Greg Norman. I don't know if it's true.

SFrazeur
10-30-2006, 05:50 AM
BOCA RATON, Fla. (AP) -- Former tennis star Chris Evert and husband Andy Mill said Friday that they're divorcing after 18 years of marriage.

more at:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-evertdivorce&prov=ap&type=lgns

You hate to see that. Well, at lest they gave it a good run.

Steve Huff
10-30-2006, 08:08 PM
You women can jump all over me for this comment, but I've seen it numerous times. When a married woman loses weight, gets in shape, takes on more responsibility at work, and grows her hair longer, it means one thing--an impending separation and/or divorce. It's probably true for men too, except that they have to buy a sports car to go along with it.

rafan
10-30-2006, 09:33 PM
...and a wig

Swissv2
10-30-2006, 09:50 PM
These two just broke their marriage vows. shame.

LN_Dad
10-31-2006, 12:24 PM
2 divorces for the ice maiden now. always thought andy was a gigalo.
I thought the same thing. I don't think Andy would marry her if she wasn't a rich celebrity.

Roger is Boring
10-31-2006, 01:08 PM
That's a long lasting marriage for a tennis player because we all know "Love" means nothing to a tennis player http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif

ha ha ha!

BabolatFan
10-31-2006, 01:12 PM
You women can jump all over me for this comment, but I've seen it numerous times. When a married woman loses weight, gets in shape, takes on more responsibility at work, and grows her hair longer, it means one thing--an impending separation and/or divorce. It's probably true for men too, except that they have to buy a sports car to go along with it.

ROFL!!!

35ft6
12-08-2006, 04:42 AM
Ex-tennis star Chris Evert's divorce final
December 5, 2006

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) -- Former tennis star Chris Evert's divorce is final after she signed a settlement that calls for her to pay her ex-husband $7 million in cash and securities by Wednesday.

Evert, 51, and skiing hall-of-famer Andy Mill, 53, were divorced Monday afternoon after Circuit Judge Arthur Birken signed off on the settlement.

Evert also will become the primary caretaker of the couple's three sons, ages 15, 12 and 10, according to the settlement.

Mill and Evert, the winner of 18 Grand Slam tournaments, were married for 18 years.

Provisions in the settlement included that Mill receive a $3 million wire transfer to his bank and a $2 million deposit to his retirement account, as well as $2 million in securities.

Evert keeps the couple's $2.8 million home in suburban Boca Raton, and Mill gets their $4 million vacation home in Aspen, Colo.

Financial disclosure forms indicated Evert's worth to be $24 million. Not bad. I wonder if Navratilova has even less since corporate America back then, and even today, weren't jumping at the chance to have a thick accented, homely, super muscular lesbian as their spokemodel.

bribeiro
12-08-2006, 05:07 AM
Now's my chance :D

grizzly4life
12-08-2006, 09:37 AM
i didn't see it in the article.... but huge rumors (and no denials) that she's hooked up with newly separated greg norman

Jack the Hack
12-08-2006, 10:33 AM
i didn't see it in the article.... but huge rumors (and no denials) that she's hooked up with newly separated greg norman

Interesting...

A steady champion that never choked under pressure hooking up with a flashy champion that often folded up like a cheap lawn chair...

That would also explain why Chrissy was willing to cut Andy loose with $7 million in cash and a $4 million dollar vacation home... even if she's worth $24 million herself, the Shark is reportedly worth hundreds of millions from his business ventures.

12-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Lest we forget the dude gets the house in ASPEN! He wins this one!

jmsx521
12-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Lest we forget the dude gets the house in ASPEN! He wins this one!He'll be right at home on the slopes... plus he doesn't get to pay for ski-lift tickets, based on his ski-celebrity status.

alwaysatnet
12-28-2006, 04:49 PM
In her day she certainly "got around" and still managed to keep her All American image in tact.You can't change a tigers stripes,I suppose.

mctennis
12-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Finally she can date me now without having to sneak around like we did.

Linda
12-30-2006, 02:54 AM
i'm wondering...what happened so that she's paying him even though he was a pro athlete in his own right? did he go the 'emotional distress' route since she may have been cheating with greg norman?

armand
12-30-2006, 03:19 AM
Hey you guys, before you all start casting judgement do we even know what the precipitating factors are?Yep, she made the terrible decision to turn 50.

Marius_Hancu
12-30-2006, 05:37 AM
i'm wondering...what happened so that she's paying him even though he was a pro athlete in his own right? did he go the 'emotional distress' route since she may have been cheating with greg norman?

No, it's just 18 years of marriage. You must share the revenues on divorce in one form or another, and in this case she was the higher earner, so it's her who must disburse some moneys.

Also, as per North-American laws, in many circumstances you must provide such that the former spouse can maintain the previous level of comfort. Strange to me, but it works both ways (i.e. for men and women. )

However, the "emotional distress" may have been an extra argument, if Andy was furious.

Rabbit
12-30-2006, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I'm sure Andy fought the law and the law won. (Definite tongue in cheek here)

Roforot
12-30-2006, 09:44 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/nba/12/29/jordan.divorce.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Alas Michael Jordan is also getting divorced after 17years of marriage...

Mick
12-30-2006, 12:55 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/nba/12/29/jordan.divorce.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Alas Michael Jordan is also getting divorced after 17years of marriage...

Jordan's ex- and the lawyers are going to become quite rich after that one.

tennismike33
12-30-2006, 06:18 PM
My childhood dream of getting with Chrissie may now come true!!!

West Coast Ace
12-31-2006, 10:45 AM
A steady champion that never choked under pressure hooking up with a flashy champion that often folded up like a cheap lawn chair...Jack, I initially thought the same thing.

Yep, she made the terrible decision to turn 50.LOL! Post of the Month candidate!

The Sydney Morning Herald had a story with pics of them walking hand-in-hand.

Norman is also going through a divorce - but as others mentioned he has so much cash that he'll have tons left when the lawyers get done.

When I think of Chrissy I always recall the Sports Century feature on ESPN and Dick Enberg, with one of his rare intelligent comments saying that when she was single "the line was long but it sure moved fast!"

armand
01-01-2007, 04:15 AM
Haha, thanks WCA, glad someone noticed!

mctennis
01-01-2007, 05:42 AM
Now's my chance :D

With who..Chris or Andy?????

Deuce
01-02-2007, 10:45 PM
2 divorces for the ice maiden now.
Plus an engagement with Jimmy Connors that was called off.

Hmmm... I dunno... how could these guys not see this coming? Would you date a woman who's known as the 'Ice Maiden'?

Rabbit
01-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Now's my chance

With who..Chris or Andy???

That elicited a spew of beveage....that there's funny, I don't care who you are...

Would you date a woman who's known as the 'Ice Maiden'?

Abso-damn-lutely!

AAAA
01-06-2007, 07:21 AM
I don't get what some guys see in her but Tracy Austin is something else.

jmsx521
01-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Everyone's divorcing; it's the new cool thing to do.

alwaysatnet
01-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Apparently Andy Mills introduced the two.Greg Norman was a buddy of his.There is nothing sadder than having a "friend" move in and turn your life inside out. Also, apparently, Mills will get custody of the knife that's stuck in his back.

alwaysatnet
01-12-2007, 06:25 PM
I don't care who you are,that's funny!

christo
01-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Which one has to pay for therapy for the 3 kids, the're the only losers in this deal. She'll be off with the Shark and Andy'll be fishing in Colorado.

alwaysatnet
01-16-2007, 08:38 PM
the kids always pay the most in any split.

Marius_Hancu
09-11-2007, 02:42 AM
Shown on TV at the USO 2007 men's final with Norman "with whom she's spending lots of time these days" they mentioned.

obanaghan
10-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Obviously, she is not such a good Catholic school girl. Married a second time outside the Church and she ends that relationship by committing adultery with a married man. I am sure her father, a daily Communicant, is real proud of her.

bluetrain4
10-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Obviously, she is not such a good Catholic school girl. Married a second time outside the Church and she ends that relationship by committing adultery with a married man. I am sure her father, a daily Communicant, is real proud of her.

I'm not saying your wrong, but is there any definitive proof of adultry.

Also, I'm sure her father is plenty proud of her. People aren't perfect, and if you're going to love anyone (sister, brother, wife, parent, child), you'll have to accept that small little fact.

But, it's always nice to see the anonymously judgmental on a message board.

obanaghan
10-09-2007, 12:35 PM
You are right I should not be so judgemental especially when I don't sign my name. It just makes me sad as the child of divorce myself to see these boys without their parents ib the same home anymore. I expect she would swim through shark invested water to save a son so why couldn't she keep working to save her marriage? Even if the marriage was beyond repair she should not be dating. She cose to have kids and this is the crappy part of parenthood. Society and her children do have the right to expect her to put the kids' needs above her own.

tennislover54
10-16-2007, 01:10 AM
a lot has been said and wrote about this issue.the truth is "WHO KNOWS??". i think Chris really want things with Andy to work (they were in therapy)...but they didn't... i think she and andy are parents good enough to try to give their kids all the love in this situation. good luck to them all.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/09/25/50...ch_for_C.shtml

Age is no match for Chris Evert

The 52-year-old tennis icon finds that maturing is about acceptance, learning and health. "Each decade brings special gifts,'' she says.

By Dave Scheiber, Times Staff Writer
Published September 25, 2007
In 1971, teenaged "Chrissie" Evert faced Billie Jean King in St. Petersburg. "I think I have a very special relation with the St. Pete-Tampa area," Evert said recently.
photo

Though she teaches tennis and organizes a signature tournament for charity, Chris Evert has shifted her focus to her three sons.
photo

Former champion Chris Evert plays in her annual Pro-Celebrity Tennis Classic, which she spends a lot of her time organizing.

She is an American icon, a South Florida native who helped infuse women's tennis with personality, style and some of the game's greatest moments in the 1970s and '80s.

But she also became a pop culture presence for decades, whether pitching products on TV or making headlines for the ups and downs in her love life: her engagement to Jimmy Connors, her marriage in 1979 to British tennis star John Lloyd, and their divorce in 1987, then her well-publicized marriage to Olympic skier Andy Mill in 1988, and less than a year ago, another painful divorce. Now reports have her romantically linked to pro golfer Greg Norman.

Today, at 52, Evert is not just older but wiser. She feels more fulfilled than ever by motherhood - she and Mill have three young sons - by running the Chris Evert Tennis Academy in Boca Raton and the Chris Evert Tennis/Raymond James Pro Celebrity Tennis Classic Nov. 2-4.

I first met Evert in 1987, interviewing her for a Sports Illustrated profile in the wake of a knee injury that had sidelined her for five months - and her breakup with first husband Lloyd. She was in Largo to play in the now defunct Eckerd Open, at the Bardmoor Country Club

What I remember most is not that this would become the last singles title of Evert's Hall of Fame career; it was her refreshing candor, insightfulness and self-effacing manner during our interview.

Twenty years later, Evert returned my call on her cell phone: She was picking up her boys from school.

And I discovered that she hadn't changed one bit.

What are the things most important to you now in this phase of life?

"You know what? Health takes over looks."

She laughed - the first of many during our conversation - then continued:

"Let's put it that way. I think when you're in your 20s and 30s, you're very concerned about how you look. And at 50, it's like, 'Aahhh, the most important thing is to be healthy,' because that's when things start kicking in ...

"That's when your bones are a little different and you're not as fast as you used to be; you don't have the energy level you used to have. And I think that the important thing is staying active. I feel (I'm) active physically and in my mind.

"Those two things are very important."

What keeps you busy?

"I'm not the typical Boca woman who likes to have lunches and have her nails done. I mean, some of these women just are dripping in jewels, with the lunches and the hairdos, and they've never earned a cent in their lives.

"And not to put them down or anything, but I like to go and I like to be stimulated. So the academy stimulates me and I'm there in the mornings, and then at 3 o'clock, sure enough, like, I'm making two trips in the car. Now I'm going to pick up my 10-year-old because they get out about half an hour apart.

"So it's all about the kids and play dates and sports after school."

It sounds as if you've created a normal life. You have all these demands on your time, but you're there shuttling your kids around and doing the things that just anybody would do.

"You know what? I'm not commentating on TV anymore. That was (finished) three years ago and, you know, I have a few endorsements from my playing days, but I put my energies and time into my academy and to my charity event in November. And we've raised about $15-million so far (to help children and families at risk due to drug and alcohol addiction).

"Then there are my kids, and the fourth is me.

"My kids come first, obviously, but I don't want to travel any more. I don't want to go anywhere to make money. Either people will come to me or I say no to the deal because I really think my three boys - they're now 10, 12 and 15 - need me. They need me especially this year."

Obviously it's been a hard year, with your divorce (last December). How are you and the kids doing in that regard?

"It's been a tough year. It's been a tough year, but, you know, the most important thing is the love and communication, and that's been there. And it's eased it a little bit. Still, it's been tough.

"But the kids have a great relationship with both of us, and that's the most important thing - when you (are a child with) divorced parents, it's important that you realize that the parents aren't divorcing you. They're just divorcing each other and you can still have a great relationship, and some relationships even get better."

Can you tell us a little about your kids?

"Alex is 15 and he played on the high school tennis team, and he loves tennis and golf. And Nicky is 12 and he's No. 1 on the middle school (tennis) team, and I'm going to actually go watch a match this afternoon.

"All three of them love skateboarding. They like the extreme sports. Colton, my 10-year-old, is probably the best of all of them. They snowboard when they go out to Aspen.

"And they're really good athletes, obviously, because my ex-husband was a very, very good athlete. And they're great kids.

"They just fight all the time among themselves. That's my one criticism - you know, if they'd just be peaceful. They're very competitive, so they're always trying to outdo each other.

I've read that you said motherhood is the most fulfilling part of your life. True?

"Yeah. I think because I was in such a self-absorbing profession as tennis - and any champion has to be selfish and self-absorbed - it was a welcome change when I had kids and I felt that giving feeling.

"And I had retired by then, so I had 100 percent emotion to give to them, and it was really a nice change to care about somebody else besides myself."

Would you say you feel wiser, more confident at this phase of life?

"I certainly feel wiser. I think you feel more confident in your own skin the older you get.

"And I think each decade brings special gifts. I just feel like in your 40s, you're really starting to come into your own. You start to get what life is all about, and you start to know yourself the best.

"And then the 50s - you kind of better find out in the 50s, for sure."

How have your 50s been so far?

"They've been fine. You know what? The 20s were silly. That's all I can say. That was silly.

"And then in my 30s, I began to have my family and it was really starting on the way to life. In the 40s, I started to get more wisdom, but by the 50s, like I said, there are no masks.

"I mean, I am who I am, and I can accept my faults and my strengths. And I think you're just more accepting of yourself and you're hopefully kinder to yourself."

And not many aches and pains?

"Not yet. I want to be healthy. I can't stretch wide for the shots like I used to. I can't move as fast as I used to, so, yeah, you've got to be careful. I can't be going out there thinking I'm 18 again, you know?"

Looking back on this past year, is there anything that you've learned about yourself?

"I learned that I'm far from being perfect. So that trick you learn, too."

Dave Scheiber can be reached at (727) 893-8541 or scheiber@sptimes.com.

- - -

What tennis says about Chris Evert

Former star Pam Shriver:
I keep in touch with Chrissie pretty regularly, a lot of its electronic and voice mail. We see each other once or twice a year.
I played her like 25 times in singles. We played with each other in doubles . . . She was one of my best friends on the tour even though I was always trying to chase her down.
I find her funny and insightful about life. The thing that I like most about Chrissie is her sense of humor. Its amazing: Its not like shes book smart or has a four-year degree from Stanford or whatever. But she has a lot of life smarts . . .
I have a lot of admiration for her.

Pioneer Billie Jean King:
Shes great for her academy. Anytime a kid can hit with her, listen to her, be around her, watch her practice, its a great learning experience.
Shes so intense. Shes just a champion when it comes to her intensity. In the 80s, I used to say, 'If you can see Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert practice, thats practicing. Because most of the kids dont have any concept of intensity. None.
Its great for kids to be around people like her because shes a champion.

Former star and current TV
analyst Mary Joe Fernandez:
Shes done a great job of giving back. Shes a role model growing up, being from Florida . . .
Shes in the best shape when you see her, she looks fantastic. What I love is that her charity has raised so much money for abused children and moms whove been on drugs.

Larry Scott, CEO of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour:
Ive made a point to get to know her and keep her involved. Shes still an iconic figure in womens tennis, somebody people look up to . . . Chris still has an important voice in the game.