PDA

View Full Version : Wrist problems...

10splaya
08-07-2004, 05:47 PM
I was playing with a friend a few days ago and during our practice, my right wrist started hurting. Now, 3 days later, it is still bothering me and I am not able to play tennis. What could be the problem? Could it be tendonitous (however you spell it) or just stress... I have no clue. How can I help this? I am used to playing tennis everyday and I can't stand not playing! I need to practice. Should I tape it up or something? Thanks for you help!

BigK35
08-07-2004, 07:26 PM
I have the same thing right now. I'm using one of those thing you squese with your hands. That are supposed to strenghthen your wrist they usually work well.

-BigK35-

Kajan
08-07-2004, 09:26 PM
After both wrist and arm probs I'm completely convinced it's due to playing w/ too light raquets. My wrist problem was due to snapping the raquet w/ my wrist w/ a lighter raquet. I have been playing w/ heavier raquets since my wrist probs and I haven't had any probs. Try it and see if it helps - but pls completly rest your wrist first and follow above advise and strenghten your wrist w/ wrist exercises.

Rackethead
08-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Try a more flexible racket, stringing at lower tensions, striging with a softer string, adding weight to the racket, particularly the handle, wrist exercises, ice, ibuprofen, rest

10splaya
08-08-2004, 05:45 AM
Thanks guys!

rooski
08-08-2004, 08:28 AM
Good suggestions. Also, FWIW...the only time my wrist hurts playing tennis is with long (.5 - 1.0" stretch), lightish rackets. I think the overlength is more a problem for me. The PD+ almost destroyed my wrist. Went back to standard length sticks and have had no problem.

David Pavlich
08-08-2004, 12:34 PM
I would ask if you've changed anything as far as your strokes are concerned...or...are you playing more than you used to...or did you do something with your equipment, ie, add lead tape, change strings/tension?

What I usually find when I ask customers these questions is the player has increased his or her amount of sessions. It's a cumulative effect.

If your answer is none of the above, then I would say that you did something out of the ordinary; got too wristie with a shot or tried to get that extra snap on a kick serve.

I don't know how old you are, but it could be that age is creeping up on you and the wear and tear is catching up to you.

As far as therapy is concerned, as already suggested, ibuprofen, ice to ease the inflamation and a couple hours later, heat to promote blood flow...which get the meds to your injured area.

David

kninetik
08-08-2004, 01:38 PM
I feel your pain 10s!!! However, I know clearly how I got much problem... Trying to learn to hit a topspin backhand shot, but being primarily a slicer beforehand, I took every ball late. Also tried to hit flat serves with a continental grip not really knowing how to properly hit it. Kept that up for a month and BAM! It all accumilated and now my wrist hurts when I dont hit properly. I dont get pains when I hit a forehand shot, but ANY type of late backhand hit and I'll get sharp pains telling me I shouldve taken it earlier.

Earlier today I decided to take rackethead's advice and take out my old 200g with the crazy heft and flex out for a spin. And compared to the PS 6.0 85, my wrist did not suffer at all except for one extremely mistimed shot.