PDA

View Full Version : Sports Authority

abenguyen
10-21-2006, 08:07 PM
Well i went today and i asked a guy about how they are on stringing. the kind said that the guy that strings the racquet has been doing it for many many years now and is really good. i question this because at another Sports Authority in Tulsa, OK, the people stringing were using a book and they had 2 people working on one racquet. they kept questioning each other where to do this and that. could the guy at my Sports Authority be lying about the stringing guy? because the stringing guy looks somewhat old. could he be just saying that so i would string there, or is he really telling the truth?

thejackal
10-21-2006, 08:11 PM
in general thes kind of stores are pretty bad for stringing. if i were you i'd watch him string for a bit, and see how he works.

abenguyen
10-21-2006, 08:12 PM
but i have never strung a racquet or seen someone string before. how would i know if he was doing a good job or not? the time i saw that one person stringing was very short. i was looking at some stuff in the tennis section and it was a very short session. i didn't see the whole stringing job.

theace21
10-21-2006, 08:40 PM
They probably only do a couple of rackets a week. I have never seen the local SA ever have a racket mounted on the stringer. Pretty hard to become good, when you never practice...

Swissv2
10-21-2006, 08:52 PM
do you have any other choice for stringers?

abenguyen
10-21-2006, 09:07 PM
my tennis coach, he has like 6 03 tours along with his son, and last time my friend has him string his racquet it took a week. possibly some other kids on the tennis team have stringers. but who do i trust?

racingdad23
10-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Are you in Tulsa?

dainova
10-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Nguen,
there are very nice Pro stringers in the city or Reihnam, which is in Kent county, just south of London, UK. They charge equivalent $USD=22 for labour.
S&H should not be a problem as it very important issue. Let me know I can provide address, probably they have openings once raining season here.

We say better cheat on your wife then change your stringer.

Best

abenguyen
10-22-2006, 09:39 AM
i live in keller, TX. i visit family in Tulsa,OK thats how i went to Sports Authority with my cousin who also plays tennis.

Dainova, i don't plan to ship my racquet overseas just to get it strung. i rather just get it strung here somehow.

should i maybe let my coach string my racquet? or maybe someone else on the team? or try Sports Authority and see what they can do?

goober
10-22-2006, 09:48 AM
I would probably let your coach string your racquet since he probably has more experience. In the long run if you are better off getting a stringer and doing it yourself. You will save alot of money and you don't have to wait for anybody.

WhiteSox05CA
10-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Just go to a local tennis shop. They always are qualified and know what they are doing, and they usually wil offer the quickest service because they do so many racquets. The where I live will do it in one day. They'll probably have the most string selection too at a tennis specialty store.
________
Electric cigarettes (http://www.ecigarettes123.com/)

goober
10-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Just go to a local tennis shop. They always are qualified and know what they are doing, and they usually wil offer the quickest service because they do so many racquets. The where I live will do it in one day. They'll probably have the most string selection too at a tennis specialty store.

I think from his post that it was evident that this was not an option.

LttlElvis
10-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Abenguyen

I know there is a healthclub with lots of nice courts in Colleyville or Southlake. Go there and I am sure somebody can hook you up with a good stringer.

If you are really into tennis, buy your own stringing machine. It will pay off in no time.

abenguyen
10-23-2006, 03:04 PM
i am really into tennis. buying a stringing machine is a little out of the question for me. i know there is a southlake tennis center, but they charge about $18 for the cheapest stringing($13 labor) which is pretty good but i don't go that way very often. i know the strings on my n6.1 are about to break soon. it's either going to be my coach or sports authority.

Valjean
10-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Of the three, I second the tennis center; an all-sports store and someone else's father--even if he is your coach--are not up to the normal stringing practice of a tennis shop. You'll have nothing to regret that way...

TW Staff
10-23-2006, 03:29 PM
According to Yahoo Yellow Pages, there's a tennis shop in Keller:

Tough Tennis Inc
Address: 111 Minnie St, Keller, TX 76248
Phone: (817) 337-2615

Good luck,

Don/Tennis Warehouse

Banger
10-23-2006, 04:07 PM
Like everyone else said since the Sports Authority guys dont look like they know what they are doing, I would go to that specialty shop. As far as Sports Authority employees' knowledge, my brother and I have been getting our racquets strung at the local one for a year with no problems. The guy does seem like he knows about tennis and how to string though. I was very hesitant at first about getting it strung there but the local tennis outlet here won't let you carry in string and charges an exorbitant amount for the crap string they do sell. Talk about getting ripped off, after they charged me 45 dollars for Babolat Ballistic with stringing, Sports Authority changed my mind real quick.

abenguyen
10-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks Don, I'll look into that. Sports Authority might be a possibility. The next time I come I will try and see if the guy is stringing the racquet, that way i can see if he knows what he is doing.

HBK
10-24-2006, 09:16 AM
Out of curiosity, what machine does Sports Authority use?

abenguyen
10-25-2006, 07:37 PM
not for sure but it was on a big stand, and looked really fancy.

Swissv2
10-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Just because they have the equipment, doesn't mean they are good at stringing.

SFrazeur
10-25-2006, 07:44 PM
I saw a racquet being strung at my local Sports Authority, he would pull the string through the racquet like it was the last ripcord to his parachute. Also, he strung from bottom to top.

Swissv2
10-25-2006, 07:46 PM
I saw a racquet being strung at my local Sports Authority, he would pull the string through the racquet like it was the last ripcord to his parachute. Also, he strung from bottom to top.

Poor racquet, hope you did a service for "whoever" owns that racquet and went up to that guy and said "hey, easy on the racquet, ok?"

abenguyen
10-25-2006, 07:48 PM
i take that as a no on sport authority? well i guess my coach is the last answer. i just broke my strings on my nsix-one. he will likely string it with PSGD if i ask him to (and pay him). is that something i should do?

SFrazeur
10-25-2006, 07:51 PM
Poor racquet, hope you did a service for "whoever" owns that racquet and went up to that guy and said "hey, easy on the racquet, ok?"

If I had known then what I know now, I would have. I am sure he thinks he does a crack-up job; as it were.

Valjean
10-25-2006, 09:33 PM
1. PSGD is much stiffer than NXT; you'd need to drop tension if you care about the feel you have.

2. That tennis center must be awfully far away.

Kaptain Karl
10-25-2006, 09:58 PM
(Based on two shifts) I've calculated the odds of getting A SINGLE good Stringer at a medium-sized metropolitan area Sports Authority at 19.622%.

Odds of your Tennis Coach doing a good job = 39.883%

Odds of the shop Don referred you to = 96.449%

Hope that helps....

- KK

equinox
10-25-2006, 10:18 PM
Remember a lot of places outsource the stringing jobs overnight to ex-employees / students to catchup with the work left over from the day.

I think it's really important to know your local stringers name and actually spend time watching them go about there business. If happy request them to string your racket.

I've seen work experience students being taught to string. Hopefully not on paying customer rackets.

I think he was restringing the new rackets with factory strings. He seemed a bit lost, i don't blame him though.

boxingguy
10-25-2006, 10:27 PM
i am really into tennis. buying a stringing machine is a little out of the question for me. i know there is a southlake tennis center, but they charge about $18 for the cheapest stringing($13 labor) which is pretty good but i don't go that way very often. i know the strings on my n6.1 are about to break soon. it's either going to be my coach or sports authority.

Young man, you must learn right now that nothing is ever out of the question.

If you care enough about tennis to go on this board, then you need to do your own stringing.

Get a Gamma X-2. Every time you string your racquet you'll be saving ($13 labor). After about 10 stringings, it will have paid for itself.

If you have four or five tennis playing friends and you charge them $10 labor for stringing, after ten string jobs each, you will have made enough to upgrade to a better machine.

You can make it happen :cool: .

abenguyen
10-26-2006, 04:07 PM
when it comes to my dad, things can be out of the question. it took me about a month just to convince my dad to let me get the flexpoint i have. he allowed me to buy from the tennis center for $180(racquet+stringing) compared to $90 from someone on the board. a machine costing $130 would give my dad a heart attack. he is a crazy person and you wouldn't understand my him.

theace21
10-26-2006, 04:57 PM
when it comes to my dad, things can be out of the question. it took me about a month just to convince my dad to let me get the flexpoint i have. he allowed me to buy from the tennis center for $180(racquet+stringing) compared to $90 from someone on the board. a machine costing $130 would give my dad a heart attack. he is a crazy person and you wouldn't understand my him.
I wouldn't call him crazy because he does want to by you a stringer, so you really want one and buy it yourself. My sons wanted Ipod's a couple of years ago, I thought it was crazy to spend that much money. They really wanted, they worked for it.

Find some jobs around the neighborhood and it won't take long to earn the money.

abenguyen
10-26-2006, 06:55 PM
i don't live in a neighborhood right now. in apartments currently. i have about $200 in the bank. i plan to save it for college use and all since im a junior in high school. i really wouldn't have the space for a stringer and it would take me forever to learn how to string a racquet.

another thing to put to mind is that i don't tend to break strings very often. this is the first time in a couple of months i believe maybe half a year. a set could last me another half a year. i believe i will invest in a stringer once i am out of college and have a job that way i will have the money

KFwinds
10-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Have your coach do it.

Fist
10-26-2006, 10:44 PM
First off, $200 for college use will last about 1/2 hour. If money is the issue, then buy the stringer, learn how to use it, and then charge people to string their rackets as it appears there is nobody already filling that niche in your area. Quite soon, you will have your $200 built back up, have your own stringer, and the ability to make even more money. I know this because Ive already been to college...:cool:

Dedans Penthouse
10-27-2006, 12:35 PM
There may be a 'hoople' in Sports Authority's Tulsa branch, but some other Sport Authority branches may have good stringers; stringers that, for example, might be working there as a "2nd job" especially when their "private club" stringing business dies down a bit during the winter months.

Discretion rules the day (i.e. no names please), but in this neck 'o the woods, there's a guy who is the head stringer for the Sports Authority stores in both Yonkers, NY and White Plains, NY, and he has done "the pros" frames, i.e. has done "for hire" work at the U.S. Open and also the Nuveen Senior tour. Top shelf stringer whose work is "subcontracted TO" by a number of pros working at other clubs around here as well.

Your mileage may vary; can only speak (volumes) about this guy.

LuckyR
10-27-2006, 01:02 PM

Judging by your moniker, your dad probably had a similar take on this issue as mine did. Appeal to his practical side by saying that you could learn to string for your friends and turn the stringer into a business opportunity. (Which is true, BTW)

Good luck

djarc
10-27-2006, 01:10 PM
lol 200 for college use.... amusing... that might buy you a couple new #2 pencils and a highlighter.

Just buy yourself a racket after you get accepted into your ivy league college.

PS: If you really want to get money for college, start applying for scholarships there are plenty out there. A part-time job in the summer will go really far too.

abenguyen
10-27-2006, 04:15 PM
i know $200 won't last long in college. its just a start towards it. i will possibly try sports authority next time but if my coach does a good job i will have him string my racquets from now on because it will cost cheaper. My cousin and I were thinking about buying a stringer together, with him being in college and all, he doesn't really ahve the money. otherwise we would and would share it. unfortunately i moved and so we can't. my dad is very hard to convince. asian parents say one thing and stick with it. no matter what you do. unless you offer them like a million dollars

eunjam
10-27-2006, 04:25 PM
have your coach do it.

and that $200....good job.

don't let others bring you down about that lasting 1/2 hour, etc.

i know plenty of self made well off people (didn't use daddy or mommy's help) that remember when they had their first $200 and now are EXTREMELY well off.

Valjean
10-27-2006, 05:17 PM
I wonder it they lacked the entrepreneurial spirit, all the same.

abenguyen
10-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks eunjam. As of right now I am happy with the racquet i play with. I just needed the opinion on which choice of stringing would be best. I have already given my racquet to the coach and he will string it for free or $15(he never stated a price).

Young Pete
10-28-2006, 12:58 AM
i know $200 won't last long in college. its just a start towards it. i will possibly try sports authority next time but if my coach does a good job i will have him string my racquets from now on because it will cost cheaper. My cousin and I were thinking about buying a stringer together, with him being in college and all, he doesn't really ahve the money. otherwise we would and would share it. unfortunately i moved and so we can't. my dad is very hard to convince. asian parents say one thing and stick with it. no matter what you do. unless you offer them like a million dollars

dude u need to chill out. when i waz in HS as a beginner JV i started with a prince pro oversize aluminum! and really wanted a graphite racquet shortly but i didn't want to disappoint/become a burden to my dad so i just learned to live with the prince pro until the following year when my dad offered to buy me a sale priced graphite at big 5! look at it this way, if you have a graphite modern era racquet that is all you need!!! and since u don't break strings, dont have funds at all (saving for college) screw the string machine..if someone can string for free, buy cheap strings online and give it to someone wholl string it for free....it would be a pleasure for myself to let them do the work!!!dude ur a young guy don't get all caught up with the material things...enjoy / work and improve your game thats what matters. if you become an excellent player who knows u might get sponsored!

Young Pete
10-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Thanks eunjam. As of right now I am happy with the racquet i play with. I just needed the opinion on which choice of stringing would be best. I have already given my racquet to the coach and he will string it for free or $15(he never stated a price).

at your economic situation / level / age a 16 gauge generic nylon.

abenguyen
10-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Thanks Young Pete. I started off with a titanium my first time playing back in the 7th grade. I quit for 2 and 1/2 years and decided to give it another try. At the start of sophomore year(10th grade) i took tennis again. I got a Prince Rebel Ti 400 Oversize from Academy and still have it today. I just bougth a Flexpoint fire and got me a nsix-one 95 from someone. The nsix-one is teaching me to work on my strokes and all. And at the new school i go to they are teaching very well. I have become a much better player than i used to be.

M1KE
10-28-2006, 02:50 PM
The stringing guy at a City Sports seemed to know what he was doing. He was very overweight, so I was doubtful of his tennis experience, but he was very helpful and answered all of my questions.