PDA

View Full Version : What is the lowest power string out there?

TonyB
10-22-2006, 06:56 AM
Anyone have an idea?

From the strings that I've used so far, it seems that SPPP 1.23 has pretty low power and good control. But I would assume that there are even lower powered strings out there.

I've read good things about Head RIP Control, too, but I haven't used it.

Any others?

Valjean
10-22-2006, 07:04 AM
How about Gamma Synthetic Gut With Wearguard? Dullsville.

looseswing
10-22-2006, 07:34 AM
What about kevlar? I'm pretty sure that that is pretty low powered.

chess9
10-22-2006, 07:57 AM
16 gauge kevlar at 70 psi, will make you a lot stronger. :) Or, you will be having trouble getting the ball over the net.

-Robert

Midlife crisis
10-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Anyone have an idea?

From the strings that I've used so far, it seems that SPPP 1.23 has pretty low power and good control. But I would assume that there are even lower powered strings out there.

I've read good things about Head RIP Control, too, but I haven't used it.

Any others?

Kevlar strings will be lowered powered.

If you like the feel of SPPP, give the Kirschbaum P2 a try. It is a very nice string, slightly lower powered than the SPPP, with less of the springy feel that you get with SPPP on moderate shots but equally or slightly more firm when you hit hard (which is where it is noticeably lowered powered than SPPP). It seems to be intrinsically pretty well dampened, and generates very little buzzing vibration even when you mis-hit. Those flat shots that seem to fly every so often with the SPPP aren't there, and the control seems better all around.

milo
10-22-2006, 11:10 AM
I also think that kevlar gives you the lowest power.

ryohazuki222
10-22-2006, 11:50 AM
i never noticed a difference in strings at all... until recently... coincidentally, it's around the time i starting stringing for myself......

i never thought kevlar was low powered...... until i started hitting with other strings... i tried gosen micro at 58... gamma w/wearguard at 60... cyberflash hybrids at 58 and 60.... sppp (18g sppp... everything else is 17g) at 60....

i sitll had a racket strung with a kevlar hybrid that i havent been playing with since i've been busy trying out new strings/setups.... but when i played with it (originally strung at 58)... WOW... it had like NO power.... so in my experince... the least powerful string by far that i've played with was a kevlar hybrid strung at 58 (ashaway kevlar.... at the time i had biphase crosses...)

TonyB
10-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Kevlar. Thanks for the information, folks. I am a bit concerned about the Kevlar being overly harsh on the arm.

Not that I have TE problems or anything like that, but I do notice that after an hour or two of really hard drilling practice, my arm gets a little sore around the wrist and elbow (but not in the TE or GE area). So, I don't want to kill myself by putting Kevlar in the racquet just for the sake of getting a bit less power.

ryohazuki222
10-22-2006, 01:20 PM
I hear this A LOT! Some of my friends said i wasnt human to be playing with kevlar.... but i think kevlar gets a bad rep....

I've never tried a full kevlar job... i always used it as a hybrid. mostly with gamma syn gut wearguard. I never felt that it was harsh, and i never felt any arm pain. To put this in perspective i HAVE experienced slight pain in my arm or wrist at some point with the following: ... one time i tried gosen polylon (full job) and i felt slight pain in my arm... also, with a hybrid of cyberflash 17g and gosen micro 17g.... and a hybrid with revelation 16g and cyber flash 17g crosses...... all these were strung around 60lbs.

Kevlar feels very unique... it's hard to describe. Sort of muted, but definitely not mushy. I didn't notice any considerable difference when i changed crosses in my hybrid either. and BTW... i was using 17g kevlar... not sure if i mentioned that. I think it's definitely worth a try... if it DOES hurt your arm... then just stop... but i don't think it's as bad on the arm as ppl make it out to be.........

Oh ya... i never understood the whole racket stiffness/flexability stuff and hwo that factors in... but for what it's worth... i currently use a tt warrior mp.... and used to use a (old red and black version) tt hornet os... with neither rackets did i feel any pain when using kevlar.

psp2
10-22-2006, 01:43 PM
I have Ashaway Kev 18g M/TF Spinfire 18g X @ 45/48 lbs., respectively in a 84 sq. in. Max 200g. 200g is a 18x20 pattern. Let me say that there is PLENTY of power from this setup. The spin generation is great as well.

superstition
10-22-2006, 11:45 PM
Kevlar. And... it's the worst string I've ever used. I had it pretty tight in a rather stiff racquet, though. I played one match and cut it out.

superstition
10-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Oh ya... i never understood the whole racket stiffness/flexability stuff and hwo that factors in... but for what it's worth... i currently use a tt warrior mp.... and used to use a (old red and black version) tt hornet os... with neither rackets did i feel any pain when using kevlar.
You'll understand as soon as you get pain. If you're like me, once you get elbow pain, you'll have it forever. Ever since my elbow started hurting about six months ago, I can't use a stiff racquet or stiff string like 16 gauge synthetic gut.

As you get older, you'll probably come to a point where Kevlar string isn't an option. I got to age 29 before my elbow became an issue, but I've played mostly with a Wilson Prostaff 85 with 17 gauge gut. I hurt my elbow playing with synthetic gut and poly in a stiff Ultra 2 racquet.

jonolau
10-23-2006, 12:57 AM
Prior to stringing my own racquets, I used full kevlar strings for 8 years and had no problems with it in terms of comfort. The real benefits I found from full kevlar were:

1. Durability - virtually impossible to snap unless it was strung too high or your grommets are shot.
2. Tension maintenance - I could leave it on for a whole year and still plays like it was strung fresh.
3. Good ball bite - sharper than a Great White. I felt that it could generate insane spin, but this comes due to its high stiffness.

Yes, it was harsh because of its stiffness. However, I only starting getting tennis elbow when I switched to Gamma ZO Sweet and tried to pull off the same spin stunts. I ended up pronating my arm at weird angles and hurt myself. So, it would be unfair to point a finger at the strings. Once I saw a teaching pro, all it took was one lesson to spot the problem and I've been TE free ever since.

Ripper
10-23-2006, 08:04 AM

If you like the feel of SPPP, give the Kirschbaum P2 a try. It is a very nice string, slightly lower powered than the SPPP, with less of the springy feel that you get with SPPP on moderate shots but equally or slightly more firm when you hit hard (which is where it is noticeably lowered powered than SPPP). It seems to be intrinsically pretty well dampened, and generates very little buzzing vibration even when you mis-hit. Those flat shots that seem to fly every so often with the SPPP aren't there, and the control seems better all around.

Hummm, that P2 sounds interesting. It's like if you were describing Lux BB TIMO, which is one of my favourite polys.

Midlife crisis
10-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Hummm, that P2 sounds interesting. It's like if you were describing Lux BB TIMO, which is one of my favourite polys.

I've never tried TIMO because the first time I tried SPPP, it did just about everything I could want in a string. I've got about six hours on the P2 now and it appears to be holding tension slightly better than SPPP too. Just like SPPP, there's no need to straighten the strings, and I've yet to have a ball sail on me like what happens once or twice a set with SPPP. It is easier to hit touch shots, and I pulled off a couple of the best (deliberate) drop volleys I've ever hit. The P2 seems to be a bit softer when hitting soft shots, but firms up more when hitting hard, but has a bit less power overall. This is just more to my liking.

I'm playing one more session with this string, then I'll be cutting it out and replacing it with SPPP just to make sure that I want to make a wholesale switch to the P2.

Smooothone23
12-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Just wanting to revisit this. I have gotten away from my standard looking for a new and improved string that cures all problems.

Any other suggestions besides kevlar and P2?

Thanks

Thor
12-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Try Duralast

Smooothone23
12-18-2006, 03:11 PM
TW doesnt sell this. Any other suggestions?

What about Prince Topspin?
Lux Original
Klip K Boom?

How are these on the power spectrum?

ChicagoJack
12-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Hi Tony B -

Yes, many folks here have mentioned the lowest powered string is the stiffest string. The three stiffest kevlar strings on the planet are:

Prince Pro Blend......................981 (lb/in)
Gosen Aramix pro 16 ...............795
Ashaway Crossfire II 16 ...........764

For comparison sake:

Poly:
Signum Pro Poly Speed Spin 1.28...289
Kirschbaum P2 1.30 ...................273
Gamma Dura Blast 17.................264
Luxilon BB Ti Mo 17 ..................261
Klip K-Boom 16..........................255
Luxilon BB Original 16................249
Babolat Pro Hurricane 16 ...........241
Signum Pro Poly Plasma 1.23...... 233
Gosen Polyon SP 17................... 215
Tecnifibre Pro Mix 125................199

[..]

Nylon, or Nylon Blend:
Ashaway Monogut 16..................242
Gamma Dura Spin 15..................230
Prince Synthetic Gut orig 16.........217
Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16...........204
Gamma Live Wire 16 .................190
Babolat Xcell Premium 16...........187
Head Rip Control 16 ..................184
Gamma Live Wire Professnl 16 ....174
Ashaway Dynamite 17................147

[..]

Natural Gut:
Babolat Tonic and Longevity........119
Klip Legend 17 .........................113
Babolat VS Touch 16 .................107
Wilson Natural Gut 16.................102
Pacific Prime Gut 16....................92
Unique Tournagut 17...................84

Since you mentioned Head Rip Control, I'm using it because I need a comfortable and long lasting string that I can use at high tension. High tension with a stiff string, in a stiff frame such as mine, doesnt work too well - but a comfy one works perfect for my setup. Comfortable, cheap and long lasting is a rare combination. Comfortable premium nylons tend to get beat up easily and start to fray right from the get go, but not this one. You get the life span of poly with a feel much closer to gut. Hard to beat Head Rip Control if those are the attributes you are looking for.

If you want to stay in the lower tension range, and are looking for more control... you'll have to search for a stiffer string than Head Rip Control. IMO, polys work better at the low end of tension range, and the premium nylons work best at higher tension.

-Jack

Smooothone23
12-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Wow, thanks for the info. Is there a place to look at all the specs for all brands?

Thanks

ChicagoJack
12-18-2006, 04:27 PM
Wow, thanks for the info. Is there a place to look at all the specs for all brands? Thanks

Hi Smooth ;)

RSI 2006 : http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200609/200609stringselector.html

Knock yerself out. Great way to whittle demo choices down to a managable few, then just forget the numbers and go with what feels right on the court.

-Jack

TalkingTennis91
12-18-2006, 05:00 PM
If the mood should strike you, you could give Prince Tour Silver 16 a shot, not as a hybrid but as a full job. That stuff's pretty low-powered.

jeffreyfranz
12-18-2006, 10:35 PM

:confused: Thank you for a very informative response. (I am not the author of the thread.) Now if you or anyone could elaborate: I, too, want the lowest powered string I can play well with, but not at the expense of harsh, steely, elbow-killing, etc. (I have heard Kevlar is the antithesis of sweet, soft, touch sensitive--True or not?) I like a sweet, feely string, which is what I like about multis, but I want less power than most multis. In light of my remarks, do you still recommend the Kirsch?

Thanks a lot.:smile:

jeffreyfranz
12-18-2006, 10:36 PM

:confused: Thank you for a very informative response. (I am not the author of the thread.) Now if you or anyone could elaborate: I, too, want the lowest powered string I can play well with, but not at the expense of harsh, steely, elbow-killing, etc. (I have heard Kevlar is the antithesis of sweet, soft, touch sensitive--True or not?) I like a sweet, feely string, which is what I like about multis, but I want less power than most multis. In light of my remarks, do you still recommend the Kirsch?

Thanks a lot.:smile:

Oh, PS: I don't want to have to string my racquets at 70+ pounds like Bjorn Borg, either. I don't want much, do I?

jeffreyfranz
12-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Hey, people, I apologize for the dup. post. The cable in our area is running, as it usually does, at slower than dial-up. It was taking so long to send my post, that I had time to think up the "PS" and (I thought) call it back to edit. Wrong. Duplicate posts. Sorry

jeffreyfranz
12-18-2006, 10:49 PM
Ignore this error, please. Thanks, Jeffrey

jeffreyfranz
12-18-2006, 10:50 PM
OK, I'll stop now.

jeffreyfranz
12-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Kevlar. Thanks for the information, folks. I am a bit concerned about the Kevlar being overly harsh on the arm.

Not that I have TE problems or anything like that, but I do notice that after an hour or two of really hard drilling practice, my arm gets a little sore around the wrist and elbow (but not in the TE or GE area). So, I don't want to kill myself by putting Kevlar in the racquet just for the sake of getting a bit less power.

Oh, that's a good sign. I'll get off the Kevlar train, now.:D

f2fanatic
12-19-2006, 05:44 AM
Have alook there:
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200609/200609stringselector.html

I have ordered Ashaway kevlar and I was sondering what cross string I should use; I want to string low tension (48-52) and have good ball pocketing. I have available different polys, Gosen sheep 17, NRG2 18...

mhstennis100
12-19-2006, 10:29 AM
My dad is using Prince Problend (kevlar mains, syn gut w/ duraflex crosses), and doesn't have elbow pain. He is 46 and using it in a Wilson N6(not 6.1, just 6), and doesn't have any pain. He has had tennis elbow before, but he's been using this 3 months with no problems. He uses hard, flat strokes.

ClimbK2
12-19-2006, 08:37 PM
I played a bit with my brother's old Wilson HyperHammer 5.3MP strung with Prince Pro Blend this past weekend. I was amazed at how much spin I could put on the ball, and how much that combo helped me hit my backhand harder with more topspin or slice. I've never played with a stiff string before and presently use a PK Ionic 5 PSE w/16 gage BDE gut.

I've had TE problems, so I'm actually disappointed at how much I liked the setup (powerful racquet, stiff string vs. low powered racquets with multi or gut). My elbow was a bit sore afterward though. Any suggestions? Perhaps a different hybrid?

I'm considering adding 2 - 3 ounces of weight to the handle of the Hammer (www.racquetresearch.com solution). Anyone have experience with that extreme weighting (making the racquet VERY head-light).

I'm 45, a 4.0 consistent player.