PDA

View Full Version : Wilson (Pro) Staff from the 80's... Help!!

Kajan
08-07-2004, 10:15 PM
In the late 80's (like many) I played w/ the thick framed Wilson Staff w/ the PWS (16x18). Due to injuries I stopped playing in the beg of the 90's and started playing again in the late 90's. At that time I bought some light Head raquets and quickly developed tennis elbow. I have since played w/ PK 15g, PK 5g, Dunlop MW 200g but have had wrist and elbow probs w/ these raquets and they don't feel quite right.

Earlier today, I found my old Wilson raquets and brought them to the court. Playing w/ my old trustworthy raquet, not only my elbow pain went away (couldn't hit a forehand or a serve 3 days ago) but it played much better than above mentioned raquets.

My problem is that one of my Wilson's is cracked and the other one is on it's last leg so I need something similar as replacement. Does somebody know the specs of these old raquests? What raquets are playing similar to those today? I think the raquet is the early predecessor to the 6.1 and I know that I bought them in Europe shortly after they came out. I have borrowed both the PS 6.1 and the HC PS 6.1 but they don't feel the same. Any help is appreciated so I can rid my injuries for good and enjoy the game pain free!!! Thank you.

BreakPoint
08-08-2004, 12:27 AM
Are you sure you weren't using the PS 6.0 85 (Pete Sampras' racquet)? Is it matte black with red and yellow pin stripes? If so, you can still buy them here at TW.

andreh
08-08-2004, 02:32 AM
In the 80s there were several Wilson racquects that had the same mould as the PS 85 that is still sold at TW. There were also some that had a very similar mold like my old stick Wilson Matrix w/o PWS. Today the stick that is most similar to any of these is Pro Staff Original 6.0 85. Possibly the Tour 90 and the ncode 90 could work for you as well.

Ronaldo
08-08-2004, 04:54 AM
The only thick-framed Pro Staffs were the wide-body, profile style PS 5.5 and 4.5 that I recall from the early 90s. There also is a PS 6.0 that is blue and black that a few players in our club still use 15 yrs after it was introduced. Had a really damped feel but prematurely aged after too many stringings. Try **** but a modern replacement my be the Dunlop Super Revelation. Any modern widebody candidates?