PDA

View Full Version : cheap stringer---->please help

M1KE
10-22-2006, 07:09 PM
The only place I can get my raquet restrung has a ridiculously small variety and charges way too much. Therefore, I'm thinking of buying my own stringing machine. I can't afford and don't need anything fancy, definitely under $200. I've read plenty of threads on here, but I'm still unsure. Should I get a Gamma X-2, Klippermate, or SP swing? Is it worth the extra $60? Is two points enough? What's the chance of my raquet breaking?

aussie
10-22-2006, 08:54 PM
All 3 you mention will let you string your own. They are not fast, but the end result is well worth it. You get to string your own, try out different strings, tensions, patterns. I have a Klippermate with a 2 point mounting system and have not had any problems with a variety of different racquet sizes. Take your time and all will be well.

HBK
10-23-2006, 12:44 PM
I got an X-2 last month, then my hitting partners found out, so, now I'm stuck stringing everyone's frikin' racquet.

LttlElvis
10-23-2006, 02:18 PM
The only place I can get my raquet restrung has a ridiculously small variety and charges way too much. Therefore, I'm thinking of buying my own stringing machine. I can't afford and don't need anything fancy, definitely under $200. I've read plenty of threads on here, but I'm still unsure. Should I get a Gamma X-2, Klippermate, or SP swing? Is it worth the extra $60? Is two points enough? What's the chance of my raquet breaking?

Mike,

Are you a pretty serious tennis player? If so, you should really be looking at saving at least $550- $600 for a stringer and get one that you won't have any buyers remorse. The Alpha Revo 4000 ($550) is a great start up stringer because of the build quality. You probably won't want to upgrade with this one. Chances are you will want to upgrade with the stringers you mentioned above.

If you are only stringing for yourself, those stringers are fine. If you are going to string for others (and you won't believe how many people will want you to string) then invest in something more. String 3 racquets/week @ a $10 profit = over $1500 profit. I have yet to talk to a stringer who said they did not have a positive return on investment.

In high school, I bought an inexpensive stringer, and it paid for itself in 1 week. Now, I string for fun and relaxation. I do not charge anyone, yet my friends still insist on paying me. (I do donate all the money given to me).

max
10-23-2006, 03:10 PM
If you're a young guy, perhaps the extra couple hundred works out, makes sense for you. I have a K-mate; works extremely well. But if you're able to get 25 years of work out of it, why not pay more upfront?

Richie Rich
10-23-2006, 03:37 PM
I just upgraded my old Gamma II (which had 2 point mount) to a 6 point mount. It's way better than a 2 point. Only trouble is it still has floating clamps but I've had the stringer long enough to know how to compensate for the tension loss.

I agree with littlelvis - i'd spend the extra to get a machine that has 6 point maount and fixed clamps as a minimum. Then you won't need to ever upgrade. You just have to decide if you want drop weight or crank. Drop weight is cheaper and works great for me.

fastdunn
10-23-2006, 06:14 PM
If you can afford, buy cheapest(or used) crank machine with
6 or more point support and fixed clamp.
I've seen some poepl can not tolerate the hassle of stringing
with basic drop-weight model.

theace21
10-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Hey Mike,

I agree with Little Elvis. Buy the best stringer you can afford. If you are really into tennis, invest the money in a quality stringer. While many still use a drop weight, most upgrade. When you realize how much money you save, plus picking up a few extra rackets a month. You will get your investment back rather quickly. The Alpha Revo is a great option.

Good Luck.

Steve Huff
10-23-2006, 09:39 PM
HBK, if you make only $5/stringjob profit, 30 rackets will pay for your stringer. Charge $10 total for a synthetic and you'll have it paid for in no time, plus they'll be getting a super deal too.

CoconutGT
10-24-2006, 06:10 PM
I just strung my first racquet today with Silent Partner Swing. Took 2 hours and the end result is very comparable to the place where I usually get my racquet strung from. I'm very satisfied.

I chose Silent Partner Swing over Klippermate because I like the idea of the clutching system (which I like a lot), arguably better mounting system (not a big concern) , and free 660' reel (big plus) :)

M1KE
10-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the info everyone, but I really can't make a $200+ investment now.

What's a clutch and how does it help?

gotwheels
10-25-2006, 08:53 PM
Mike, Look at the Alpha String Pal. Think I saw it at <$120 with clutch. Very comparable to all of the entry level dropweight machines. Good folks, good service.

theace21
10-26-2006, 07:04 AM
I would probably go with the SP Swing.

M1KE
10-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Thanks everyone for your input.

If all goes well, I think I'll get a Gamma X-2 because it comes with some string and free shipping.
I haven't found anything negative about them. If anyone has any complaints about X-2s, I'd like to read them before I place an order.

M1KE
10-31-2006, 05:43 PM
I ordered the X-2! :-D

purespin
11-01-2006, 09:48 AM
I chose Silent Partner Swing over Klippermate because I like the idea of the clutching system (which I like a lot)...
What is clutching?