PDA

View Full Version : Brand new pack of string has "Nick" in it

JetFlyr
10-22-2006, 08:16 PM
As a recent Luxilon convert (Alu Rough), I decided to try a different string within the "Big Hitter" lineup and bought a package of Luxilon Ace. I cut the set in half (because I hybrid), and proceeded to progressively string the mains. I was about halfway done when I noticed the string was damaged. Thankfully, I noticed this "nick" before I pulled tension on it. I took all of the string out and used the remaining half to do the racquet. I took the damaged string back to the tennis store where I bought it and they gave me a replacement set no questions asked.

I've noticed with Luxilon string, sometimes there are "beads" at intervals along the string. I'm not sure if this is where different lengths of strings are joined together during the manufacturing process or what. It appeared that this damage was at one of these such places, and the cut was nearly all the way (about two-thirds of the way) through the string.

Has anyone else had this type of problem with Luxilon or any other string? I wonder if this type of problem is more likely with an individual set at opposed to a reel?

jonolau
10-23-2006, 12:00 AM
This is something I noticed about Luxilon strings. It is easy to kink and ends up appearing as a "nick". I opened a pack of Luxilon BB Alu Power today and it was unblemished. But during stringing, it accidentally got caught in the grommet and kinked. After tensioning, it appeared fine and not problems hitting with it.

Kevo
10-23-2006, 07:48 AM
Yes, it was probably the result of stringing in an excited state, or failure to respect the poly. You have to be careful not to kink it or those "beads" occur. Those kinked spots if they end up in the right spot will likely be the place the string breaks. Just slow down a little next time and don't kink the poly.