PDA

View Full Version : lowest tension you tried, and your results?

andyroddick's mojo
10-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Not that I try to be exactly like federer, but I'm wondering what I'd feel if i strung my strings at around 50-52. I know fed strings in the 40's, but I don't think I wanna go there. So just wondering, what significant changes will I feel at 50 pounds? Will there be a longer ball dwell time? I especially want to hear from people who string all their rackets low, and play like this on the regular. Thanks.

morten
10-23-2006, 07:48 AM
longer dwelltime indeed, great for fluent swings, not good for jerky fast swings.

Ripper
10-23-2006, 07:55 AM
The feel well depend on the type of strings and on the head size.

enigma54
10-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Do you low tension players restring more frequently as we all know how quickly strings lose their tension after the first 24, 36, 48, etc. hours? Or is it no different than for someone stringing at relatively higher tensions?

Ripper
10-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Do you low tension players restring more frequently as we all know how quickly strings lose their tension after the first 24, 36, 48, etc. hours? Or is it no different than for someone stringing at relatively higher tensions?

I don't think stringing at a higher tension to compensate for tension loss is the way to go. In my humble opinion, the higher you string, the faster the strings will lose tension (and I think this is specially true about polys). Furthermore, if you take two freshly strung raquets, one at 50 pounds and the other at 60, and give them the same use for a month, at the end of that month, the amount of tension lost between the two will be higher on the raquet that was strung higher. In other words, the difference in feel, from freshly strung to after a month, between the two raquets will be more dramatic in the one strung higher.

Pro_Tour_630
10-23-2006, 10:55 AM
All depends on what type of machine you are stringing on, head size, pattern, string type, method of stringing where/when you clamp etc... I am down to 45lbs on an 18X20 MP using LF200DX with regular 18g synthetic strings. You have to have classic smooth strokes for very low tension. I notice that with higher tension on certain types of strings (kevlar,Poly) my shots go long. I need to string them lower to keep the ball in.

nickarnold2000
10-23-2006, 11:12 AM
Wow, that's interesting! I always thought that higher tensions would result in more control. I'm stringing power rough mains at 54 and TF biophase 52 in my rds 001 90. Next time i'm going lower to 52 -50? mains. Does Fed really string in the 40s?

Ripper
10-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Does Fed really string in the 40s?

From info I've read here, I believe he does, sometimes. BUT remember he uses a raquet with a very small head, compared to what most people use these days.

rasajadad
10-23-2006, 12:19 PM
I play against a guy who strings 17g. natural gut in an old Prince OS at 14lbs! Gets incredible spin. He restrings every 6-8 months rotating three frames. Playing approximately 4-5 times a week.

Midlife crisis
10-23-2006, 02:48 PM
I don't think stringing at a higher tension to compensate for tension loss is the way to go. In my humble opinion, the higher you string, the faster the strings will lose tension (and I think this is specially true about polys). Furthermore, if you take two freshly strung raquets, one at 50 pounds and the other at 60, and give them the same use for a month, at the end of that month, the amount of tension lost between the two will be higher on the raquet that was strung higher. In other words, the difference in feel, from freshly strung to after a month, between the two raquets will be more dramatic in the one strung higher.

Are you talking about absolute tension loss or relative tension loss? If the racquet strung at 60 pounds loses 12 pounds of tension and ends up at 48, is that more, less, or the same as a racquet strung at 50 pounds that ends up at 40 pounds? They're both 20% tension loss.

Which do you think will present greater control difficulties for the user?

fishuuuuu
10-23-2006, 04:57 PM
I use full Luxilon Big Banger ALU at 52#/54$ in my racquet and the spin, power, and control is unbelievable. Don't let the price scare you, try it once, you'll be hooked.

However, as the last user said, if you're not the point where you can take big fluid, quick strokes, this isn't your string.

superstition
10-23-2006, 08:35 PM
I don't string lower than 60 with 17 gauge gut in my Prostaff 85. Although my forehand gets more powerful and my slice becomes more junky when the tension drops, everything else suffers.

The lowest tension I tried was something like 47 with Durathin 18 in a tan Rossignol that I found on clearance years ago. It had a tiny head (probably 75 inches) and I think it was made with Kevlar. It may have been the worst thing I've ever tried to hit with. I was a teenager and didn't try it with a restring. I blamed the racquet. My friend broke it, and that's unfortunate because it would be interesting to see how it would have played with a better string job.

morten
10-24-2006, 12:32 AM
Anyone string low but not poly/luxilon?