PDA

View Full Version : Should I try a "pure" player's racquet?

tensai
08-07-2004, 11:35 PM
I am an intermediate player who is seeking for improvement in my game.
I started tennis about 1 1/2 years ago.
When I started, I did not really what kind of racquet I should use so I bought one of those ultra light game improvement racquets.
Now that I am more serious about tennis, I became aware about racquet quality. I've been considering to buy a new racquet that would improve my game.
Now my question is,
as an intermediate player, should I buy those ultimate "player's" racquet like the PS 6.0 85 and the POG to improve my game?
I've heard someone say that these "pure" player's racquets will force you to play better. Is this true?
I did demo the PS 6.0, and it was heavy and hard to maneuver, and the sweetspot was very small (the feel was GREAT though), but should I use those kind of racquets for improvement?
By the way, right now I am about a 3.0-3.5 player, who is basically a base-liner who uses a lot of topspin when playing singles.
I also play doubles so I do volley as well.
If you have any racquet recommendations, it will be very thankful to tell me.

K!ck5w3rvE
08-08-2004, 01:29 AM
Yes they force you to play better. I have a friend who was using the Bab Pure Drive +'s, which aren't really players frames. They're wide, powerful, and don't really meet the criteria of a players stick. He bought an i.prestige, and hit with that for about 6 months. It strengthened his arm, and with the smaller headsize he had to time everything well. He's still go it, but he now uses the PD +'s again. He's got more power and he's playing a lot better, but he played baly for a portion of the 6 months with the i.prestige. So yes, go for it, but only if your willing to compromise on your short term playing ability.

mary fierce
08-08-2004, 06:08 AM
"Should I Try" is a question best reserved for skydiving, heroin, armed robbery, stadium hot dogs, and other activities that involve some measurable risk. You've ALREADY tried a players' racquet, so what exactly are you asking?

Rackethead
08-08-2004, 08:32 AM
I would recommend against it. I went from a Babolat Pure Drive OS to a Prestige Classic which feels great -- but it is harder to make clean contact with the smaller head size.

I would recommend instead something 98-102" headsize, medium weight (i.e. 11.5-12 oz), regular length handle. I'm currently trying out a Prestige Classic Midplus (102" head, about 12.2 oz) and would recommend something like that, or LM Prestige MP, or V1 Classic, etc.

If you find you can still consistently get the sweetspot with these racquets, then in another six months you can consider moving to something with even smaller headsize like a 93-95"

BigK35
08-08-2004, 09:12 AM
If you using an Oversize don't go any smaller than a Midplus something right around 12oz would be good.

I personlly went from a Wilson Hyper Hammer 6.3 OS to a Head i. Prestige MP. It took a lot of getting used to.

-BigK35-

tensai
08-08-2004, 03:01 PM
I will do whatever it takes to improve, so I am willing to compromise.
It seems that a MidPlus 12oz racquet is the way to go.
If so, is the Yonex RDX 500 MP a good choice?
More comments will be appreciated.

BigK35
08-08-2004, 03:27 PM
That is a good one, I would recommend an open string pattern for good spin. Yonex RDX 500 is fairly open. I would also look into the Wilson PS 6.0 95, Wilson n95, Volkl Tour 10, Babolat Pure Control Team Standard.

-BigK35-

raven5288
08-08-2004, 04:17 PM
went from a 110 HH 5.3 to the LM Prestige MP. I wouldn't go any smaller.

Swan Song
08-09-2004, 03:57 AM
I went from a Radical 107(LM and Ti) to the POG Mid.

Feņa14
08-09-2004, 04:23 AM
I went from a POG OS (107) to a Yonex SRD Tour 90 (90)

BTW THIS IS MY 1000th POST!!!!!!!! :D :D

-Liam