PDA

View Full Version : Stability and light weight -- an impossible combination?

altawolfe
08-08-2004, 04:14 AM
I injured my hand and need a racquet with slightly less heft. I'm a 4.5 baseliner who hits both flat and top. Is there anything that you can think of that is sub 11.5oz but also . . . stable.

Brent Pederson
08-08-2004, 05:55 AM
Yonex mp tour 1 xf is 11.3 and very stable. Swings heavier than its static weight though. The radicals can be quite stable as well.

BigK35
08-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Dunlop 300g, very good light weight racquet.

-BigK35-

K. Wilson Moose
08-08-2004, 03:25 PM
ProKennex Laver S and SX are really nice frames which fit your requirements.

moonshine
08-08-2004, 03:33 PM
LM Radical MP is pretty stable for its weight. Far superior to say a Pure Drive

NoBadMojo
08-08-2004, 04:11 PM
sure almost all sub 11.5 oz frames are stable (other than the el cheapo discount store ones)....uranium can be unstable :) the frames talked about on this board are all stable no matter what they weigh. people confuse instability w. light weight it seems..if you dont hit the sweetspot, then all racquets become unstable if your def of unstable is torque and twisting, rather than having the racquet pushed around on you when you encounter someone that hits a heavy ball. so if you are having a prob w. the frame twisting and torqueing on you i would look for something w. a larger sweetspot...the torqueing and twisting can also be more pronounced if you mis-hit and your grip is too small for you. my .02. ed

TommyGun
08-09-2004, 05:59 AM
I hit with the racquet at a demo in NJ. It hit solid, but was only 10.5 ounces. No twisting, due to its head configuration. Not available here yet, but its worth a look.

tommygun

altawolfe
08-09-2004, 09:43 AM
my experience is that there is a relationship between weight and stability, though that relationship may have more to do with the distribtuion of weight, e.g., head light frames sometimes do transmit more feedback from balls hit in the upper hoop than frames with more mass in the head. obviously, flexibility also plays a role. given that, I was kind of looking to see if anyone has played with something sub 11.5 that they felt was uniquely stable -- and I seem to have some good leads. Thanks!!

TennsDog
08-09-2004, 01:07 PM
I second the 300G is quite stable for its light weight. You can even add quite a bit of lead tape to 9 and 3 to increase stability and still be well below 11.5 oz. That is what I did, but now I just want a bit more hefty racket.

netman
08-10-2004, 11:24 AM
Prince Hornets are light and stable with large sweetspots. Very comfortable as well due to the Sweetspot Suspension.

The new Shark is essentially the next generation Hornet if you want something new.

BAB
08-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Isn't the Shark much more powerful than the Hornet?

netman
08-10-2004, 12:13 PM
Don't know. I haven't hit it with yet. The thing I like about the Hornet is the lower power. Makes it an easier transition from a heavier player's frame. Hope the Shark isn't too powerful or it won't be a true evolution of the Hornet concept.

BAB
08-10-2004, 01:04 PM
Prince gives the Shark OS a 1000 power rating and 925 for the MP. These are pretty high up the scale.

netman
08-10-2004, 01:17 PM
My Tungsten Hornet MPs are also rated a 925. Its really not that powerful. It has more power than say a Diablo MP, but not much more.

The Prince power scale seems to be very subjective and appears to be a pretty low precision measurement scale. I originally stayed away from the Hornets in my quest for a lighter racquet because I thought it was a power racquet. My loss. Turned out to be a great enhancer of my game. Proved to me that you can't use specs alone to chose a racquet.

BAB
08-10-2004, 01:24 PM
Netman: see my post -- 3.5 looking for a new racquet. I presently use the More Game 110 which carries a 1050 rating and I find I really need more control.

netman
08-10-2004, 01:40 PM
The Hornets are dirt cheap right now as they clear them out. Sharapova used a Hornet to win Wimbledon and Gambill still uses a Hornet OS. They both have MORE Attack paintjobs, but they are Hornets.

You could look at the Bandits as well if you want a lighter racquet. I've added a little over 1/2 oz of weight to my Hornet MPs. They now weigh 10.8 oz and are 6 pts HL. Added weight at 3 and 9 and to the handle. Plenty of control and extra power when I need it. Plus I can still swing it full speed deep into a long match.

The Hornet was an underappreciated racquet that got lost in all the MORE hype.

couch
08-10-2004, 06:30 PM
My vote goes for the Volkl Tour 8. I think it fits into the same mold as the 300g. I have hit with both and I think the Tour 8 is better from the baseline and the 300g a little better at the net.

The Tour 8 has an open string pattern and can put a good amount of spin on the ball from the baseline. I think your would like it.