PDA

View Full Version : Grip size change: now I can really slice!

FireSon
08-08-2004, 06:32 AM
Because I could buy a racquet with a 4/8 grip, I tried my racquet (3/8 t90) with an extra leather grip. This setup complies with the the 'index finger rule' and when I tried it out the biggest suprise was I could really slice! In my normal repertoire I do not use a lot of slice, but it's all there now: control, length & touch.
Since I am demoeing the n90 at this moment I put the extra grip on this racquet as well, and it is really amazing! About three years ago I switch from 4/8 to 3/8 when I got the feeling that I could generate more spin with it, but playing with this setup the spin did not suffer at all.

Just curious if someone has had similar experiences...

louisc
08-09-2004, 05:10 AM
yes, i did too. i went from a 4 1/2 to a 4 3/8 for the same reasons. however, the samller size gave me "golfer's elbow" - pain on the underside of the elbow. i tried various things to remedy the problem and ended up at what is my correct grip size which is 4 5/8 with 2 overgrips, without noticing any loss of spin ability, but gaining some extra pop and saving my arm.

D. Nelson
08-09-2004, 09:26 PM
........I did THE same thing....WITH the same results !!! I tried a smaller grip size after being 'curious' about the way GUGA could just 'flip' some of those forehands......and Stich...and some of the other guys that can play with such small ggrips.... My initial results....terrible consistency with volleys...pain in elbow...chronic....and a LOT less fun !! The ONLY 'better' thing I DID get --- much better in getting the rframe around; in panic/reflex situations...AND for SOME serve returns....????? The overall playability benefits from going 'back' to the bigger grip size FAR outweigh the smaller size....... I hope this saves SOMEBODY the pain, and the time spent, on UN-founded "curiosity" !!!