PDA

View Full Version : How easily strings can be cut

AUSSIEEEEEE
10-23-2006, 04:22 PM
I just got my racquet back from a friend who strung it for me and i was putting head tape back on... I am slightly anal about how perfect it is put on so i was using a razor blade to trim it(horrible horrible idea:mad: ) and i put a nick in the string accidentally... so pretty much i hit the ball once and it snapped.:mad: . I dont recommend ever using razor blades around your racquet, unless you want to waste $15 or more. Just wondering has anybody else had experiences with ruining strings such as this?

VGP
10-23-2006, 04:42 PM
.....live and learn.

Sorry to hear it.

gfdoto
10-23-2006, 04:58 PM
I was a bit concerned about this when I was messing with blocked holes during stringing. I was thinking that if I accidentally nicked a string with the needle nose pliers that it would snap prematurely. Anybody have any advice on this?

diredesire
10-23-2006, 05:38 PM
I was a bit concerned about this when I was messing with blocked holes during stringing. I was thinking that if I accidentally nicked a string with the needle nose pliers that it would snap prematurely. Anybody have any advice on this?

It can, any sharp edge can shear/nick/and bust a string, doubly worse if there is tension on it.

Steve Huff
10-23-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm sure many stringers have nicked strings with an awl trying to get through blocked holes. That's why it is always best to enlarge holes before the 1st string ever goes in.

pcpshortbus
10-23-2006, 05:55 PM
i tied a knot once in the wrong spot so i had to use an awl to get it out (it was the last string in the racket) and the strings popped in the stringer because i cut a little chunk out of the strings... i was so angry lol

equinox
10-24-2006, 05:08 AM
I'm sure many stringers have nicked strings with an awl trying to get through blocked holes. That's why it is always best to enlarge holes before the 1st string ever goes in.
Agree, those awls are evil if misused.

jonolau
10-24-2006, 05:13 AM
No matter how many years experience a stringer may have, or how careful he may be, Murphy's Law has a way of enforcing itself when least expected ... ;)