PDA

View Full Version : SPPP too brittle, not durable!

bank5
10-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Just broke my SPPP hybrid after less than 10 hours of play. I'm not a huge string breaker but have had synthetic last a lot longer. It broke on a miss hit near one of the tie off knots so maybe it was a fluke thing. When I was stringing the racquet, I also broke the string because it kinked.

The string felt great and didn't lose tension, but I'm not a huge string breaker and would've like to get more than 10 hours out of it.

psp2
10-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Any string, especially poly, will snap if you mishit high near the grommet. You can't fault the string for that.

dainova
10-23-2006, 08:42 PM
SPPP known to break after mishit, it's the only way you basically can do this.

Kevo
10-23-2006, 09:50 PM
If you kink a poly during stringing it is more likely to break on mishits because those kinks weaken the string. Even if you don't kink it some strings are known to be more susceptible to this type of break, but I don't think SPPP is one of them. I do remember some talk on this board of fake sets on the auction site or something like that. Did you buy from TW or a reputable retailer?

CoconutGT
10-24-2006, 12:43 AM
I've broken all the following Poly strings by mishits on the main (All which broke on the very top middle bed:

Hours played:

12 hours --Signum Pro Poly-Plasma 17
18 hours --Wilson Enduro Pro 17
4 hours --Topspin Cyber Flash 17

Could be bad grommets or string job in my case I guess. I'm going to be stringing my own racaquets from now on. So we'll see

tennus
10-24-2006, 12:50 AM
Just broke my SPPP hybrid after less than 10 hours of play. I'm not a huge string breaker but have had synthetic last a lot longer. It broke on a miss hit near one of the tie off knots so maybe it was a fluke thing. When I was stringing the racquet, I also broke the string because it kinked.

The string felt great and didn't lose tension, but I'm not a huge string breaker and would've like to get more than 10 hours out of it.
Yes, I have used this string for a while now and most string breakages have occured as a result of a mishit near a grommet. This aside the 18 gauge is more durable than any other I have tried at the same diameter. :)

plarazza
10-24-2006, 01:19 AM
I have a 17 Poly Plasma. I aslo strin gmy own racquets but just wonderin what is kinking?

tennus
10-24-2006, 03:00 AM
I have a 17 Poly Plasma. I aslo strin gmy own racquets but just wonderin what is kinking?

I think it refers to the act performed by the monkey on Michael..........:) ..no, sorry I think it refers to a stiff inflexible string which is permanently damaged by folding back on itself at an acute angle. The string is left with a type of casing crease otherwise known as a kink. :)

chess9
10-24-2006, 03:29 AM
I have SPP in one of my nCode 6.1 90 racquets. It's been in there since July. Must have 20 hours on it. Still plays fine.

-Robert

Richie Rich
10-24-2006, 03:35 AM
you get a kink when you bend the string. take a scrap peice of SPPP and fold it in half and see where it kind of flattens out - that's a kink and it weakens the string.

jonolau
10-24-2006, 03:43 AM

I also did not kink my SPPP 17L during stringing. Mishit at the head tie off on the first outing after stringing and it snapped immediately. Have mishit with other polys such as TF Spinfire, Gosen Polylon SP, Polylon Ice, TF Recode, and never had it snap. Yes, I know, I shouldn't be mishitting so often, but I have astigmatism and usually play at night ... :D

eagle
10-24-2006, 05:05 AM
Agree with the consensus here. I've been using SPPP 17 for over a year. I've only broken one and it was at the grommet. And yes, it was because there was a kink at that point when I strung it. The string got caught between the stringer hardware and caused the kink.

Haven't had problems since. Breaks normally happen with the crosses and not the mains for me.

Thanks,
eagle

sw00sh
10-24-2006, 05:51 AM
Sadly, I have had the same experience twice on the first 2 times I used the SPPP (17g or 1.18mm). Now using it for the 3rd time, so far no such snapping yet. The first 2 snapped exactly near the grommet on top of the frame (head grommet). Not sure if its due to kink as I dont string myself.

I have used SSH 17g (1.2mm) and never had that ever for the whole reel I bought.

bank5
10-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Until I used SPPP I had never broken string near the grommets (and I do frame a lot of shots) and I had never broken string while stringing a racquet. I'm hoping my initial experience w/ SPPP was just unlucky. I'll probably give the string another shot because it did feel great and has received a lot of great reviews.

I'm also going to try Gosen Polylon SP 17. Seems like that also has some great reviews.

jackson vile
10-24-2006, 09:57 AM
How hard did you miss hit the ball, it is really strange I have never had a string break pre-maturely.

jonolau
10-24-2006, 10:00 AM
How hard did you miss hit the ball, it is really strange I have never had a string break pre-maturely.
I find it strange myself. I regularly frame the ball, and the SPPP 17L is the only one that snapped. On top of that, it was also the only string that has snapped on me whilst stringing.

ATXtennisaddict
10-24-2006, 12:38 PM
I broke my SPPP over the weekend when I mishit near the tie off too.

jackson vile
10-24-2006, 03:17 PM
I find it strange myself. I regularly frame the ball, and the SPPP 17L is the only one that snapped. On top of that, it was also the only string that has snapped on me whilst stringing.

With that information I would think that it was just a quencidence, 17l hit just right in the worst place.

If it happens again in a different spot then for sure there would be a problem, but I have never herd anyone have a problem with SPPP.

I have heard people say how misstringing, and kinking ect can cause problems

LoveThisGame
10-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Most polys can suddenly shear through on a mishit, particularly at the shoulders of the frame (where strings are not perpendicular to the frame). Those with windshield-wiper forehands (a difficult stroke to hit consistently in the sweetspot) beware.

Bent
10-25-2006, 05:28 AM
I have sheared a lot of diff. polys in my POG's (SPPP, Lux BB etc.). With new grommets. Always the top center M's.

Now I use tubings in the top of my center M's. Works perfect !

Fatmike
10-25-2006, 08:57 AM
I cut SPPP cause it won't break.

But for the smal gauge SPPP (18g I htink, 1.18 ) it broke after 3-4 hours only. (plus the stringer broke 3 sets while installing it)

jonolau
10-25-2006, 09:05 AM
I cut SPPP cause it won't break.

But for the smal gauge SPPP (18g I htink, 1.18 ) it broke after 3-4 hours only. (plus the stringer broke 3 sets while installing it)
Was that done at a pro shop?

Fatmike
10-25-2006, 09:10 AM
Was that done at a pro shop?

yep...

the one who strings for the Montreal Masters

jonolau
10-25-2006, 09:13 AM
yep...

the one who strings for the Montreal Masters
Wow ... then why is Signum still selling these strings? Seems like quite a fair number of people on this board have issues with SPPP.

Fatmike
10-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Wow ... then why is Signum still selling these strings? Seems like quite a fair number of people on this board have issues with SPPP.

well, the feel I got from SPPP 18g was awsome

If you can afford to re-string them often, they are very nice.

They stringer suggest that my grommets were used so they make the strings break.

The 17g is very nice too, comparable to alu power.

jonolau
10-25-2006, 09:24 AM
well, the feel I got from SPPP 18g was awsome

If you can afford to re-string them often, they are very nice.

They stringer suggest that my grommets were used so they make the strings break.

The 17g is very nice too, comparable to alu power.
Great, thanks for your feedback. I'm doing home stringing, and a few of my customers are using SPPP. So, if I end up breaking too many sets, then I'll be out of pocket.

chess9
10-25-2006, 09:43 AM
I've strung two racquets with 18 ga. SPP. One is strung around 60, the other about 54. Both sets are going strong. I have a serve and volley game, with a topspin/flat forehand and slice/topspin backhand. No heavy topspin though. I've only broken two sets of strings in the last year. One was Hurricane Pro 17, the other some aramid 18 (the aramid had a cut in it near a grommet).

SPP is nice string. Soft for a poly, like the new Hurricane Tour Pro.

-Robert

Kevo
10-25-2006, 10:47 AM

Breaking one set on a bad grommet I can understand. 3 sets seems excessive. You'd think after the first that the bad grommet(s) would be inspected and then some tubing would be used, or you'd replace the grommets. I have a feeling that some people just don't take the extra 5 minutes or so needed to prevent kinking polys. Everyone has surely experience what happens to plastic when you crease it. It weakens it a lot. Once you do that with a string a few times and then apply 60lbs. of tension to it, it's gonna break pretty quickly.

Fatmike
10-25-2006, 01:46 PM
I have a feeling that some people just don't take the extra 5 minutes or so needed to prevent kinking polys. Everyone has surely experience what happens to plastic when you crease it. It weakens it a lot. Once you do that with a string a few times and then apply 60lbs. of tension to it, it's gonna break pretty quickly.

euh.... what is a kinking poly?

I was there when he broke 3 sets, he just took them up the package and start stringing.

Midlife crisis
10-25-2006, 11:53 PM
euh.... what is a kinking poly?

I was there when he broke 3 sets, he just took them up the package and start stringing.

When you sharply bend a poly string, the internal, microscopic structure gets altered and the string weakens significantly. This is a problem with poly strings because they have a lot of coil memory - they tend to want to stay curled because they've been packaged in a curled state. It's a problem mostly when you start to string, because you have a lot of string laying around and the curliness makes it easy to get it all tangled up.

Kevo
10-26-2006, 08:32 AM
A kink is like folding the string so that it creases. It's like bending a piece of wire or plastic over and over until it breaks, except with a string under tension you don't need to fold it more than once. One time is enough to damage it where it will break much more easily under tension. A good poly should not break except where there is notching. There are lots of polys that were not so good that would break easily on mishits, but most of the newer ones are much better in that regard. However, kinking can still cause that problem because of how it weakens the string.

Fatmike
10-26-2006, 09:09 AM
ok, I understand that kink thing.... maybe that's what he did cause like Midlife said, the strings were curling all over and he was kind of rough manipulating them...

Midlife crisis
10-26-2006, 12:53 PM
ok, I understand that kink thing.... maybe that's what he did cause like Midlife said, the strings were curling all over and he was kind of rough manipulating them...

Time to find a new stringer!