PDA

View Full Version : im a baseliner; what is better low or high?

patrick922
10-23-2006, 07:32 PM
my game is based on a solid baseline game [similar to nalbandian]. would i benefit from a lower string tension say 55-60 or a higher tension say 60-65lbs? i do hit with topspin the the forehand side so which tension gives you more spin? i know nadal uses a low tension so does that contribute [apart from his technique] to the amount of spin he generates?

arifed
10-24-2006, 04:26 AM
I would tell you that lower tension produces more spin and power.

Personally I like low tension but it's a matter of preference.

The real suggestion is to try and find out by yourself what suits your needs better.

take care

fuzz nation
10-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Probably the loosest tension that lets you swing out, yet still land your shots with confidence. My flexible groundstroke machine is the Prince NXG mid with my favorite Laserfibre synthetic (laserlite 16 or 17 ga) laced up at 54 lbs or less. Spin is great and the power comes from me because the frame is very mellow. Stiffer frames with more juice seem to need tension near the top of their range so that they have some control, otherwise my full strokes can more easily trampoline too deep. It's a really subjective issue--if you post your frame and preferred string type, some fellow users may tell you what works for them.

If you try looser string, give it a chance if it feels freaky at first. I did with the NXG and it really broke my ground game open. Good hunting!

bad_call
10-26-2006, 07:22 PM
I would tell you that lower tension produces more spin and power.
Personally I like low tension but it's a matter of preference.
The real suggestion is to try and find out by yourself what suits your needs better.
take care

i'm of the same opinion...at least with my old PS 6.0 85. i think if ur a baseliner then that may also work for u. i'm a baseliner too but i come to the net on any opportunity. :)

Young Pete
10-27-2006, 11:43 PM
i'm of the same opinion...at least with my old PS 6.0 85. i think if ur a baseliner then that may also work for u. i'm a baseliner too but i come to the net on any opportunity. :)

i noticed over the years playing with a ps 85 that with plain synthetic gut string strung on this racquet play better when you see after a few rallies the strings are in need of adjusting, straightening.....

if the strings do not need straightening....it waz strung too high...and would feel boardy.

BobbyChicken
10-27-2006, 11:51 PM
It's really personal preference more than anything else.

TERRYTOPSPIN
10-28-2006, 11:19 AM
It is a matter of preference but I think you need to think about your game and personal needs along with your play style. If you are a baseliner who uses a lot of topspin and can generate a lot of your own power but having some dificulty keeping it from going long, I would say string it as tight as you can and back off 1 pound at a time next consecutive stringings if you need more power. Keep in mind that strings will also loosen up as you play. If it is great for a month then you are getting to much power.... time to re-string.

On the other hand if you needs more power to get the ball deep and have no troubble keeping it in the court I would sudgest starting 2 lbs below the reccomended midpoint.

As in a lot of things it is a lot of trial and error but knowing your needs will give you a good starting point.

bcsax123
10-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Pure baselining requires loose so you can hit full power every hit. At the baseline I can play great with any racket, at any tension, but for anything other than groundstrokes and serve, lower tension sucks.