PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Eagnas Combo 810

AUSSIEEEEEE
10-23-2006, 09:29 PM
I am looking into starting to string and this is one of the choices that i am interested in (http://www.eagnas.com/com810.html). From what i have heard Eagnas has bad customer service but has well built machines so i dont think that the customer service should be a problem. It seems to me that this is a competitor with the alpha revo 4000 which i am also interested in, what would your reccomendation be without considering customer service in your decision.

thanks,
aussieeeeee

Audiodude
10-24-2006, 02:33 AM
I am looking into starting to string and this is one of the choices that i am interested in (http://www.eagnas.com/com810.html). From what i have heard Eagnas has bad customer service but has well built machines so i dont think that the customer service should be a problem. It seems to me that this is a competitor with the alpha revo 4000 which i am also interested in, what would your reccomendation be without considering customer service in your decision.

thanks,
aussieeeeee

The bad customer service has only been an issue when their well built machines suffer problems due to their build quality. Getting Eagnas to stand behind their product isn't always the easiest thing to do.

jj300
10-24-2006, 05:44 AM
for $100 more get the revo. you will never have to worry about it because if something does happen the guys at alpha provide the highest cs out there. You will also get some quality strings such as the gut 2000. The strings alone can make the price of the revo more comparable to the eagnas. E-mail mark at alpha and find out how much worth of strings they are giving with the revo at this time. Also I know alpha was working on some new parts for their machines so find out if the revo got upgraded with anything since a few months ago.

LttlElvis
10-24-2006, 06:30 AM
Does anyone know why some Alpha Revo 4000 machines have a thin black table as opposed to the thick blue table?

http://www.mansionselect.com/stringer-machines-tennis-stringer-machines-alpha-stringer-machines.html

http://www.nothingbuttennis.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?action=link&product=183&uid=360

jj300
10-24-2006, 06:36 AM
the black table is the old model. The new model has the thick blue table. Check the new tech tennis site for details. Alpha may have changed some things slightly since they moved their production to a different factory. Best bet is to e-mail Mark or Greg at alpha and ask them for details.

niknax
10-24-2006, 07:54 AM
I have an Eagnas Combo 810. It's probably over 4 years old, I string about 5-10 racquets per month on it and it still going strong. The stringing machine is practically bullet proof.

The only downside is the customer service for the stringing machine isn't the greatest it's probably the worst. To be honest, it's absolutely frustrating dealing with them. They're telephone number is usually busy and it takes days for them to respond to emails.

My number one worry was that if I need replacement parts how would I go about getting them without getting ****ed off. This is what I found out. You can actually use the parts from other "brands" of machines for the eagnas machine. Most of the stringing machines are out of same factory and the only difference is that each machine has it's own logo on it when it arrives in the states. For example, take a REALLY close look at the Alpha pictures and the Eagnas pictures. The parts are practically interchangable.

For the Eagnas 810 I can use Alpha parts. And trust me, the Alpha customer service is outstanding. I took a chance and I ordered an extra manual crank from Alpha for my Eagnas and it works great. I got some other parts also, but if you want to save yourself the overall hassle, just get something else other than an Eagnas. The machine are great, their customer service isn't.

jj300
10-24-2006, 08:16 AM
Be aware that although parts may look the same, a tiny measurment difference can make a huge difference. The post of stringing clamps have different measurments and I know that some posts will not fit in the hossle of the clamp bases on other machine. the clamp bases itself may have a difference design make them unusable on other machine. always ask for measurments if you want to use parts from different companies

niknax
10-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Be aware that although parts may look the same, a tiny measurment difference can make a huge difference. The post of stringing clamps have different measurments and I know that some posts will not fit in the hossle of the clamp bases on other machine. the clamp bases itself may have a difference design make them unusable on other machine. always ask for measurments if you want to use parts from different companies

Understandable, but I can't say that would be the case with me. I ordered better clamps for my Eagnas from James at Mutual Power (James has excellent customer service by the way, he responds to all e-mails), the SC-501 models and there was no problems, they fit fine. I didn't like the PN-1012clamps that were on my eagnas and replaced them. I substituted the parts from another company's with a machine very similiar to mine. I think the Eagnas Machines are cheaper clones or replicas of more expensive machines.
Either way people do what you like and do what's best for you. I just didn't want to deal with Eagnas anymore and took a chance of sustituting parts from another company's product, fortunately it turned out fine.

sstchur
04-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Understandable, but I can't say that would be the case with me. I ordered better clamps for my Eagnas from James at Mutual Power (James has excellent customer service by the way, he responds to all e-mails), the SC-501 models and there was no problems, they fit fine. I didn't like the PN-1012clamps that were on my eagnas and replaced them. I substituted the parts from another company's with a machine very similiar to mine. I think the Eagnas Machines are cheaper clones or replicas of more expensive machines.
Either way people do what you like and do what's best for you. I just didn't want to deal with Eagnas anymore and took a chance of sustituting parts from another company's product, fortunately it turned out fine.

niknax:

How have you liked the SC-501? Do you find the clamps to be really good?

I ask because I have an MP Titan 7700 with SC-201 clamps. I wonder if an upgrade to the SC-501 is worth it? I'm honestly not sure what the difference is except that James tells me the SC-501 are more "heavy duty."

I think the SC-201 are fine for the most part. I actually was hoping MP offering something in 3-tooth, but apparently they don't.

I see you didn't like Eagnas's PN-1012. What didn't you like? I was actually considering buying them and see if they would work with my machine, but your comment has me reconsidering that.

You can email me if you have any info to offer -- I'd appreciate it: sstchur(at)live(dot)com

struggle
04-25-2010, 09:24 PM
a 4.5 year old thread regarding technology?

anyhow.........the new eagnas clamps are nice, i just bought a combo 910.

not sure i'd upgrade an older machine, just buy a new machine for the same price as the clamps, plum nearly.

Lakers4Life
04-25-2010, 09:33 PM
I prefer the Eagnas PN-1012 clamps to the Gamma 5 tooth clamps. They are copies of the Babolat Star 3 and Star 4 clamps. They should work on a MP Titan, since it's a clone of an Eagnas design.

The PN-1012 shafts are 12.00mm in diameter.

sstchur
04-26-2010, 08:51 AM
I prefer the Eagnas PN-1012 clamps to the Gamma 5 tooth clamps. They are copies of the Babolat Star 3 and Star 4 clamps. They should work on a MP Titan, since it's a clone of an Eagnas design.

The PN-1012 shafts are 12.00mm in diameter.

Having never used anything but 5-tooth, what is it about 3-tooth that some folks prefer?

From just casual browsing of the forums, I see that some folks prefer 5-tooth.

The most obvious thing I can think of is that 3 tooth would be easier to fit in tight spaces and cause the mains to move less. That would be nice, but do 3-tooth usually hold string as securely, or do they slip more?

Or are they about the same and it's all just personal preference?

Lakers4Life
04-26-2010, 09:35 AM
From my experience, the 5 tooth clamp is a more general clamp designed for dense patterns. On wide patterns, which are usually on the sides of the rackets, they tend to push the strings aside. You would have to clamp closer to the center of the racket to get them to fit without pushing strings aside. Typically you want to clamp as close to the frame as possible. Also both types of clamps are diamond dusted (coated), but the Gamma has a rougher surface than the Eagnas, which tends to mar poly string more.

It more about personal perference than anything, and a bit of ignorance.

Here is a close picture of both types of clamps:
http://i38.tinypic.com/2mnrcdx.jpg

nirianto
04-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Why don't you go with the Combo 910? That's the one I am planning on getting.

sstchur
04-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Why don't you go with the Combo 910? That's the one I am planning on getting.

Just because I already spent money on the Titan. It cannot be returned at this point. I've had it for over a month (I think their return policy is within 14 days).

I suppose I may be able sell it for 80% of my original cost and then try to buy the 910, but I'm not sure there is that much market for Mutual Power machines, since they aren't quite as well known.

To be clear, I think the MP machine is quite good for its price. Considering that James is always very prompt to answer my emails and helpful whenever I call, I think it's reasonable that MP machines cost a bit more than Eagnas's.

My complaint isn't against MP or their machine at all. It's just a case of me, not having realized that I really wanted until after the fact.

Lakers4Life
04-26-2010, 10:12 AM
sstchur, pvaudio just bought a set of spring assisted clamps from Eagnas, and is considering selling his machine or returning the clamps. You might want to talk to him about possibly selling you the clamps he just bought. You can get them from Eagnas, you just tell Victor or whoever answers the phone you have a Flex 940 or some other model slimier to your machine. They are expensive though, I heard $230 for the pair. Which is a lot lower than I was quoted, before. Another possible supplier is Alpha, which are the same as Eagnas spring assisted clamps.

sstchur
04-26-2010, 10:18 AM
sstchur, pvaudio just bought a set of spring assisted clamps from Eagnas, and is considering selling his machine or returning the clamps. You might want to talk to him about possibly selling you the clamps he just bought. You can get them from Eagnas, you just tell Victor or whoever answers the phone you have a Flex 940 or some other model slimier to your machine. They are expensive though, I heard $230 for the pair. Which is a lot lower than I was quoted, before. Another possible supplier is Alpha, which are the same as Eagnas spring assisted clamps.

Thanks for the info!

I spoke to Greg at Alpha. He said $75 each for their spring-action clamp bases, which doesn't sound too bad to me. However, I am unsure if my existing MP clamps will fit in the Alpha bases. Greg gave me precise measurements but said it may be unlikely that my existing clamps would fit.

Is there a proper way to measure (or a specific /thing/ to measure) to ensure that I would have a fit?

Lakers4Life
04-26-2010, 10:38 AM
The shaft Outer Diameter is usually 12.00mm and the Base Clamp Hossel Inner Diameter is 12.00mm also. The best way to measure is to use a caliper, digital or analog.

sstchur
04-26-2010, 10:47 AM
The shaft Outer Diameter is usually 12.00mm and the Base Clamp Hossel Inner Diameter is 12.00mm also. The best way to measure is to use a caliper, digital or analog.

Do I have any chance of getting it right if I don't have a caliper?

Does anyone have the shaft outer diameter of the Eagnas spring-action base clamps?

David123
04-26-2010, 11:24 AM
hmm interesting thread. Mark at alpha told me that the 3 tooth clamps are superior to the 5 tooth clamps. You can feel the difference when you use the 3 tooth and the 5 tooth, and the 3 tooth is better.

Lakers4Life
04-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Do I have any chance of getting it right if I don't have a caliper?

Does anyone have the shaft outer diameter of the Eagnas spring-action base clamps?

I think you want the I.D. of the Hosel (tube), the O.D. would not help you.