PDA

View Full Version : Stringing for Jack Kramer/T2000

pchoi04
10-23-2006, 11:47 PM
Hi, going to be stringing up a Jack Kramer Autograph for a friend of mine and a T2000 and I was wondering if I could get some stringing instructions for these 2 racquets and what the recommended tension for both of them were.

andrew_b
10-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Can't help you with the T-2000 (all I remember is that they were a pain in the b*** to mount on thestringer) but I used to string my JK prostaff (very similar to the autograph) at 62, but this was with nat'l gut. You'll want to go lower if using something else. IIRC, recommended tension range was 55-65. As far as for the pattern, I used 2-piece, and you'll pretty much be able to "read" the frame.

One thing I'd suggest is to make sure to put pads under both pairs of holes in the throat. The default was just one on each side, but 2 on each side helps with premature wear on the strings and damage to the wood frame.

play well,
Andrew

max
10-24-2006, 08:57 AM
I wouldn't do more than 55 lbs for the Kramer; you're going to need to get some power from a platform like that.

Rabbit
10-24-2006, 09:32 AM
I like 58 pounds on the Kramer.

I have stringing instructions for a T2000. You can either e-mail me, or I can send them direct to you if you provide your e-mail address.

Midlife crisis
10-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Hi, going to be stringing up a Jack Kramer Autograph for a friend of mine and a T2000 and I was wondering if I could get some stringing instructions for these 2 racquets and what the recommended tension for both of them were.

I have a JKA and I would not use more than about 50 lbs tension. These are old racquets and with the dense string pattern, you don't need much more tension to get a similar response as other modern racquets. Just make sure to orient the "W" channel to the short side of the mains.

As far as a T2000, I strung one up once for a friend several months back. It took nearly four hours and a lot of cussing. I would never, ever, never, ever do one again, and I threw away the instructions. I got them originally by emailing Wilson customer service.

LoveThisGame
10-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Stringing the T-X000 racquets isn't bad ... IF you lived during it's time of polularity and strung them regularly.

In the last two decades, I've strung two. I've surcharged my price for doing that.

Those racquets had miniscule sweetspots and the technology is very old. I figure that the customer would be best served by buying a newer racquet and can't complain if surcharged for taking your extra time (and the surcharge just can't be enough to adequately pay you for that time either).

theace21
10-24-2006, 07:59 PM
Wood rackets are not really a problem, but they have a right and left side. It has been so long, I don't want to say which one is which and be wrong. If it is strung, you probably can figure it out.

T-2000 - again I have not strung these in 20 years, and I really wouldn't want to.

Worst rackets to string all time -
Semco - Don't remember the name exactly, but it was seamless. The gromments were inside the racket. You didn't pull the string through a hole in the frame because there were not any.

Head Edge - Again, not sure if this was the name or the company. Each string was individual, and it had these little metal wedges. The theroy was when a string broke, just replace the string.

T-2000 - Made famous by Connors and avoid by this stringer.

Steve Huff
10-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Kramer--1st, look at the grooves near the top of the frame. The side with the zig-zag grooves is your short side. The side with the double width grooves is your long side. You'll need about 33' of string (cut 35 since it's your first wood, and to be safe).

The pattern is 18 x 20. The short side needs 10' (probably less if you have a crank machine). You skip the 9th hole at the throat. Shared holes are 7,8 and 9 at the head, 7,8 and 10 at the throat.

If you have them, use 4 power pads, 1 between the 1st 2 pairs of holes at the throat.

String the mains skipping the 9th hole at the throat. Tie off the short side onto the 5th main.

Start the crosses at the 7th hole at the throat. Weave toward the top. Your string should fit in the grooves about 1/2 way up. If not, you didn't use the zig-zag side as the short side.

String 20 crosses. You'll have a double-width groove to run your tie-off string to. You'll be surprised at how easily 2 strings go through the holes. I just strung one Sunday with 15g, blue spiral string, and it looked nice and vintage.

As for the t2000. I've strung 5 or 6 of them the past 2 years. It's hard to describe. It, too, has a short and long side. Your short side requires only 6' of string. Without seeing it, I can't tell you which right now. You string the 1st 6 mains on each side as you normally would. Then, tie off the short side. I'd add about 10# tension to the tie-off, as you lose quite a bit of tension tying off to the metal wire. Then you string the 7th main, bottom cross, 7th main on other side, top cross. Then you loop the string around the metal support of the 9th and come back to the 8th (to get the proper entrance into the angle). String the 8th main, 2nd from bottom cross, 8th main on other side, 2nd cross. The 2nd cross will go toward your 8th main. You have to do a loop again past the wire to get the wire to enter at the right angle. String the 9th main, 3rd from bottom cross, other 9th main, 3rd cross. You should be able to string the rest of the crosses normally now. The overall pattern is 18 x 18, no skipped "wires".

And, as someone said, it is a little tough to mount this frame and keep the wires accessible. Good luck.

bad_call
11-28-2006, 03:01 PM
SteveHuff - i'll be doing a 2 piece on the JKA. do u know what the length of the mains and crosses? thanks.

bad_call
11-28-2006, 08:30 PM
got it done. just for the record it is 18 for mains and 16 for crosses.

jonolau
11-29-2006, 02:09 AM
got it done. just for the record it is 18 for mains and 16 for crosses.

You sure it isn't the other way round?

bad_call
11-29-2006, 06:27 AM
haha!! - i know i'm getting old and forgetful but that was only last nite. no it's definitely 18 for the mains and 16 for the crosses. if using a dropweight like the klipper then suggest u don't be frivilous with the string or u may end up short. 18 on the mains is just enough (2 inches overage on the gripper).

jonolau
11-29-2006, 06:33 AM
Wow, interesting frame. I must admit that it sounds rather alien to me ... :)