PDA

View Full Version : SPPP or cyberflash?!

andyroddick's mojo
10-24-2006, 08:53 AM
Both of these are a great value and top of the line polys!
but the question is..which one do you prefer? Right now I'm using pro redcode, and am quite satisfied, but it is a little pricey. I'm looking for something that has a pretty good sweetspot, with good power, and good spin. I mostly stay at the baseline until i see an approach shot, then I come to net. (still working on the coming to net part :) )

Chicken Neck
10-24-2006, 09:03 AM
They are both great but the CyberFlash is, in my opinion, a bit stiffer and if you do your own stringing a bit more difficult to work with. I switched to the Cyber Flash from SPPP about a month ago and love it. P.S. CyberFlash is also a bit cheaper than SPPP. You won't go wrong with either of these excellent strings. Good luck.

armand
10-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Heard that SPPP is better at holding tension. True or false?

racingdad23
10-24-2006, 09:52 AM
Heard that SPPP is better at holding tension. True or false?

True

my choice between the two is SPPP

Kevo
10-24-2006, 11:33 AM
I like Cyberflash better because it is more consistent and cheaper. The SPPP is good, but I actually did notice some inconsistency in play. Sometimes shots just seemed to have more on them than I put into them. I haven't noticed that with the Cyberflash. The other thing is that I noticed tension loss after the initial drop with the SPPP. With Cyberflash there is an initial drop, but once that happens it stays the same until it breaks. That initial loss is easily compensated for just by stringing a couple of pounds tighter. I found them to be similar comfort wise.

andyroddick's mojo
10-24-2006, 08:25 PM
do you guys use full poly jobs? and what is your tension?

Midlife crisis
10-24-2006, 08:47 PM

I use a full poly job in a 115 sq. in. racquet, tension between 66 and 68 lbs.

DarkSlayerX
10-24-2006, 08:59 PM

SPPP is the best poly i have played with...it holds the tension really well...i use the sppp on crosses(60 lbs) to hold the tension and on mains(62 lbs.) i use gamma tnt2... IMO this combo is very effective in power, control and pop

armand
10-26-2006, 05:36 AM
Currently I have SPPP 1.23 strung at 61.5 lbs 2 piece on my 001 Mid. It plays very well, but I'm still experimenting and I don't know what to try next.
The choices are between Cyberflasher 1.25 and SPPP 1.18. I guess I'll use the same tension, 61.5lbs.

How much better is SPPP at holding tension compared to Cyberflasher? Any other thoughts are welcome as well.

Midlife, how much does your racquet weigh?

theace21
10-26-2006, 06:08 AM
I have several customers that use SPPP - they all really like the string over the other polys they have tried. I can't compare it to cyberflash, never used or know of anyone that uses it...

Midlife crisis
10-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Currently I have SPPP 1.23 strung at 61.5 lbs 2 piece on my 001 Mid. It plays very well, but I'm still experimenting and I don't know what to try next.
The choices are between Cyberflasher 1.25 and SPPP 1.18. I guess I'll use the same tension, 61.5lbs.

How much better is SPPP at holding tension compared to Cyberflasher? Any other thoughts are welcome as well.

Midlife, how much does your racquet weigh?

I've been reducing the weight of my racquet a little bit in the last month or two. I've been playing against some people who hit the ball pretty hard and I found that in after an hour or so I started tending to be a bit late, especially when on high topspin backhands. The racquet I use is 28" long, 358 grams, 11 points headlight, with a swingweight in the low 380's. My backup racquet is also 28" long, 358 grams, 11 points headlight, but has a swingweight in the low 370's. It has more weight in the middle rather than on the ends, so it volleys better and works much better blocking back really hard serves.

What are you looking for in your next stringjob that your current one doesn't give you?

armand
10-26-2006, 07:22 PM
I've been reducing the weight of my racquet a little bit in the last month or two. I've been playing against some people who hit the ball pretty hard and I found that in after an hour or so I started tending to be a bit late, especially when on high topspin backhands. The racquet I use is 28" long, 358 grams, 11 points headlight, with a swingweight in the low 380's. My backup racquet is also 28" long, 358 grams, 11 points headlight, but has a swingweight in the low 370's. It has more weight in the middle rather than on the ends, so it volleys better and works much better blocking back really hard serves.

What are you looking for in your next stringjob that your current one doesn't give you?Whoa, sounds like you must hit a monster ball there.

I'm looking for a slightly softer stringbed so I can hit with more topspin. I know I can just string looser, but I've heard good things about Cyberflasher and SPPP 1.18 and I'd like to try them(and I already have a buncha sets laying around).
Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

andyroddick's mojo
10-26-2006, 10:26 PM
my god, you're up into the low 370's??
My racket is only at like 310-320. Anyways, I'm only interested in hearing from people who use full SPPP/cyberflash, or hybrid it with the poly on the mains. Also those who string about 55 or below. thanks.

Midlife crisis
10-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Whoa, sounds like you must hit a monster ball there.

I'm looking for a slightly softer stringbed so I can hit with more topspin. I know I can just string looser, but I've heard good things about Cyberflasher and SPPP 1.18 and I'd like to try them(and I already have a buncha sets laying around).
Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

I've always been a hard hitter. It's good and bad. The good are days when I can overwhelm my opponents with pace and spin. The bad are days when my opponent is very adept at changing speeds and spins, goofs up my timing, and I end up spraying balls all over the county.

As far as getting a softer stringbed, I don't know if you're happy with your current racquet weight. My racquet is 78 RDC stiffness, so with the really tight poly stringjob it can be really jarring. However, just the sheer mass of it helps reduce the impact harshness, and adding a lot of weight to the handle helps reduce the effective hitting stiffness of the racquet as well as cut down on racquet power. All in all, it's a very soft, yet solid hit and lets me take full swings and still not hurt my 45 year old elbow. If you're comfortable adding some weight to your racquet, adding it low in the handle really makes the racquet feel a lot softer.

As far as the strings, my then-12 year old son started going through his Dunlop Max Comfort every four or five weeks. That got to be tiresome, and I chatted a bit with DireDesire, who said that Polyon SP was about as soft of a poly as they came. I tried some, and it really is noticeably softer than even SPPP in our racquets. Then, just last month, the USRSA came out with their 2006 string guide which showed the Polyon SP 17 to be the 6th most elastic poly, only 7% stiffer using their test protocol than the Max Comfort he previously used.

The Polyon SP is pretty inexpensive, and while it doesn't hold tension as well as SPPP, it stabilizes after a couple of weeks and then holds steady for quite a while after that. It's a milky white color, which seems to go with more racquets that the orange sherbet SPPP. Give it a try.

Here's the 2006 string guide:

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200609/200609stringselector.html

SteveI
10-27-2006, 01:32 AM
Both of these are a great value and top of the line polys!
but the question is..which one do you prefer? Right now I'm using pro redcode, and am quite satisfied, but it is a little pricey. I'm looking for something that has a pretty good sweetspot, with good power, and good spin. I mostly stay at the baseline until i see an approach shot, then I come to net. (still working on the coming to net part :) )

BTW,

I have a 1/2 set of the CF in 16.. if anyone wants to try it.. I will be willing to trade for 1/2 set of the SPPP. Drop me mail at:

Tennisguy63t@verizon.net

Steve

Ljubicic for number1
10-27-2006, 06:37 AM
The Cyberflash 1.25 in a extremely good string and leaps and bounds ahead of SPPP in my opinion.

I havent had much luck hybriding it though, seems much better in a full job. I have found that it needs to be fairly tight (60lbs or above) in my 16X18 95 Wilson.

bad_call
10-27-2006, 09:52 AM
my god, you're up into the low 370's??
My racket is only at like 310-320. Anyways, I'm only interested in hearing from people who use full SPPP/cyberflash, or hybrid it with the poly on the mains. Also those who string about 55 or below. thanks.

i fit that category and should be getting a stringer next week. so may take a while before i get back to post.

andyroddick's mojo
10-27-2006, 08:58 PM
hey bad call, if you ever remember maybe drop me an email after you've strung SPPP or cyberflash at a semi-low tension. Or maybe just start another thread on your stringjob. I'm nervous about thinking of a full poly job because the sweetspot is smaller, but the power and spin is so worth it.

<3Tennis
10-27-2006, 09:11 PM
i think they're both equal in play... soft and spin friendly strings to me...

CF Setup: CF 17 Mains (62) / Babolat SFP 16 Crosses (60)
SPPP Setup: SPPP 17 Mains (62) / Gosen Micro 16 Crosses (61)

anyone find any better crosses for the SPPP or CF?

P.S. Personally i prefer the SPPP because it feels alot more smoother with my shots, but the CF is definately worth a shot for its price and feel.

dainova
10-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Hi, all

I tried SPPP on my 18x20 Fisher and can't go over 56Lb, I'm using drop weight and sure that tension is correct, so really suprise how people play with SPPP @62. I tried 59 and my shoulder became sick in 20 min and there was no feeling or sound at all.
SPPP is really hold tension best, after 50 hrs of play you won't notice any wear in you sweet spot, you'll play it until you mishit in lower or upper head where string don't have crosses.

Anybody of you have 18x20 racket strung over 60 with SPPP ?

Best
Dai

bucpride
10-28-2006, 04:48 AM
sorry for this stupid question, is SPPP or cyberflash a brand of strings? I'm am looking for good poly strings so bear with me please.

Nuke
10-28-2006, 05:31 AM
SPPP is here: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/SignumString.html.

Cyber Flash is here: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/TopspinString.html

bucpride
10-28-2006, 06:54 AM
ok, that clarifies it for me thanks

bad_call
10-28-2006, 03:59 PM
hey bad call, if you ever remember maybe drop me an email after you've strung SPPP or cyberflash at a semi-low tension. Or maybe just start another thread on your stringjob. I'm nervous about thinking of a full poly job because the sweetspot is smaller, but the power and spin is so worth it.

no problem...should remember that one unless i win the lotto or something then who knows.