PDA

View Full Version : advice

patrick922
10-24-2006, 10:55 AM
is it better to let the strings settle before going out and hitting with it...if so how long?...or is it better to play with it after stringing it?..

tennis-skater
10-24-2006, 10:59 AM
its better to wait from what i heard because if you go hit right away it loses tension faster but yesturday i got some free pro hurricane tour from my club (they got it from their usrsa memebership) and strung it up and it looked so sweet i just had to go hit with it

Kevo
10-24-2006, 11:28 AM
It really doesn't make that much difference. You lose tension right after you start hitting with it whether you waited or not. Some strings are better than others regarding tension loss, and the string makes more difference than when you hit with it.

Valjean
10-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Sampras used to have his racquets prepared 24 hours before he played to give the strings time to settle in. That's a good idea to me if you want better shot consistency; in fact, I've found two days before is even better.

A similar practice concerns stringing the racquet after you've installed a fresh grommet set; in that case, raising tension the first time by two lbs. is widely found. An alternative is stringing the racquet initially with, say, cheap nylon, then cutting out that string.