PDA

View Full Version : How do you determine tension?

MasturB
10-24-2006, 04:04 PM
How do I determine how much string tension I should get for my racket?

I bought the nSix-One Tour 90 but I'm not sure if I should go high or low.

Voltron
10-24-2006, 04:21 PM
First, string at the middle of the recomended tensions. Then if you get too much power, move up in tension. If you don't get enough power, move down.

Good luck,
Voltron

alan-n
10-24-2006, 05:42 PM

Depends on your stroke. If you have a fast stroke, great technique and timing (requirements of midsized racquets) your going to find out that lower tensions will be less powerful than higher tensions ranges with this racquet. A poor stroke or misshit at the lower tensions with this racquet tends to send the ball sailing, don't mistake that as being too powerful. Hit the ball square at the peak of its bounce to judge the power.

Midlife crisis
10-24-2006, 08:01 PM

Tension is not nearly as much a matter of ball speed as it is how consistently the ball leaves the strings with varying shots, and how comfortable you are with that. For instance, if you like the way a certain string and tension respond when you are hitting softly but the ball sails when you swing hard, you have a situation where the consistency is not as you expect and you would then want to make a change in strings or tension to make things more predictable. In this case, going up in tension or using a stiffer string would help.

snoflewis
10-24-2006, 08:08 PM

for midsize (90-93 sq in) 16 main patterns, i usually go w/ a 58/56 and for midpluses (95-100) i go w/ a 60/58. i then tweak it a little if i could use a softer string bed or a firmer string bed or a lower or higher tension...it's a completely different story w/ 18x20 patterns for me though...

MasturB
10-24-2006, 08:21 PM
for midsize (90-93 sq in) 16 main patterns, i usually go w/ a 58/56 and for midpluses (95-100) i go w/ a 60/58. i then tweak it a little if i could use a softer string bed or a firmer string bed or a lower or higher tension...it's a completely different story w/ 18x20 patterns for me though...

Wow the only thing I understood there was 90-93 sq in.

Have no idea what 16 main patterns,softer string or firmer string beds are, or what an 18 x 20 pattern is.

I'm still a newbie to racket vocabulary.

vinnier6
10-25-2006, 04:29 AM
sounds like you might have bought the wrong racquet...

but the tension question is all subjective...i would start in the middle of the tension range and work from there...if the strings feel too loose (too much power) then go up 2lbs...if it feels too tight (not enough power) then go down 2lbs...

string type is also going to be a big factor...multis tend to like high tensions while polys need a lower tension...

good luck