PDA

View Full Version : question about diredesire's ATW

bm3
10-24-2006, 04:20 PM
diredesire,
sorry if I ask a silly question, but....
I've checked out the ATW pattern on your site, and what I don't get is why can't you tension the topmost (and 1st threaded) cross and the remove the clamp on the last main and clamp the cross with that (as opposed to using a starting clamp) and then tie off?
As long as the stringer is keeping the tension on the cross why do you still need the clamp on the main?

Thanks,

LoveThisGame
10-24-2006, 05:46 PM
How can you turn the table while tension is held?

Can you handle the glide bar needs for positioning while continuing to string?

diredesire
10-24-2006, 07:15 PM
At the tip of the racquet, there are two sides, the "short" side and the "long" side.

If you were to weave the short side as the top cross, and then tension, you theoretically could release the clamp while the string is undergoing tension. This doesn't help you very much, as the best you can do with that clamp is to clamp (approximately) the center of the top string. It simply can't reach over far enough to get a (good) clamp on the top most cross string. The other clamp is holding tension on the other half of the mains. If you released that clamp, you'd be releasing the tension on one entire side of the racquet. If it doesn't make sense, just use some crappy nylon or other syn gut and give it a go. I guarantee it will make sense after one try ;)

If this still confuses you, feel free to shoot me an e-mail through my profile.

-DD

Steve Huff
10-24-2006, 09:51 PM
With swivel clamps, it helps to also have a floating clamp. With an Ektelon/Prince model, you can use a half-length slide bar to accomplish clamping a main and cross at the same time.

diredesire
10-25-2006, 12:00 AM
With swivel clamps, it helps to also have a floating clamp. With an Ektelon/Prince model, you can use a half-length slide bar to accomplish clamping a main and cross at the same time.

Hey Steve, I actually have some half length slide bars at my work-place, but haven't used them yet. What is the procedure for using them? I saw in the manual that you have to lay down some guide bars to use these? Is that the case?

bm3
10-25-2006, 07:05 AM
...the best you can do with that clamp is to clamp (approximately) the center of the top string. It simply can't reach over far enough to get a (good) clamp on the top most cross string.

Thanks, I think I get it...
This is because you need to use the (fixed) clamp on the opposite side of the racquet? (I've never been around a fixed clamp machine)
If so, that problem would not be there with floating clamps, correct?

diredesire
10-25-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks, I think I get it...
This is because you need to use the (fixed) clamp on the opposite side of the racquet? (I've never been around a fixed clamp machine)
If so, that problem would not be there with floating clamps, correct?

Sure, provided the other clamp doesn't get in the way. I like to clamp as close to the frame edge as possible so there's minimal tension loss on the tie off. I don't see why it would cause you a problem with floaters.

Let me know how it goes :)

bm3
10-29-2006, 10:09 AM
Well, I must say that I had no problems doing this pattern with floating clamps. It also helps being able to clamp above or below the stringbed.
I've marked the strings to see if they were slipping and they stayed in place.

Thanks for all your help.

Steve Huff
10-29-2006, 08:50 PM
DD, it's best to have an extra clamp laying around too, but if you don't, it will work too. After stringing the last main on the long side, use the half length slide bar. Just put the end into the groove on the base and set the end on the base. The backpull of the string will keep it in place. If you don't have an extra clamp, just pull the clamp off your long bar and slip it onto you half length bar. Now, after you tension your 2nd to last main on your short side, you can string the top cross(es) and turn your full length slide bar horizontally to clamp them. String them and tie off at the top. Now, do your box pattern. String your bottom or 2nd from bottom cross. Remove the 1/2 length bar and use the full length one that's already turned horizontally to clamp that cross. Now, string the last main on the other side. Use the 1/2 length to clamp it off. Leave enough room to get the next cross at the top in. I think this ATW pattern will work better for you anyway. That's what the 1/2 length bar was made for I think.

diredesire
10-29-2006, 10:58 PM
DD, it's best to have an extra clamp laying around too, but if you don't, it will work too. After stringing the last main on the long side, use the half length slide bar. Just put the end into the groove on the base and set the end on the base. The backpull of the string will keep it in place. If you don't have an extra clamp, just pull the clamp off your long bar and slip it onto you half length bar. Now, after you tension your 2nd to last main on your short side, you can string the top cross(es) and turn your full length slide bar horizontally to clamp them. String them and tie off at the top. Now, do your box pattern. String your bottom or 2nd from bottom cross. Remove the 1/2 length bar and use the full length one that's already turned horizontally to clamp that cross. Now, string the last main on the other side. Use the 1/2 length to clamp it off. Leave enough room to get the next cross at the top in. I think this ATW pattern will work better for you anyway. That's what the 1/2 length bar was made for I think.

Thanks, Steve. We might be getting either a new machine (dual action clamps, with any luck) or new clamp assemblies, this would free up a spare clamp for the half bars.

I'll report back sometime if i get a chance :)