PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid query again... (expert advice sought)

jaykay
10-24-2006, 06:17 PM
I would like to solicit some responses from experienced, knowledgeable posters.

First, a little bit about my game: 3.5/4.0, continental/eastern FH, strong 2H BH, moderate topspin, flat & slice serve, good court speed and all-court player (come up to the net mostly to finish a point). I use topspin to keep the ball in play but the winners are hard & flat. I like to take a big cut at the ball and would prefer that the string setup recommendation ensures that the ball doesn't sail long (i.e. prefer control over power). Comfort is also important (I have had TE some time ago when I wielded a head-heavy racquet and still suffer from a rather weak wrist).

Secondly, my equipment: really way too many racquets. But mostly in the 11.4oz to 11.9oz range (some with lead, some stock). I am right now using a leaded up FXP Instinct but I might move to a stock 200G 95. I think I like the feel of a 18x19/18x20 over an open string pattern.

Thirdly, my past experience: Now, I have used several strings but I keep going back to the Head RIP Control 17 at 61lbs since I really like this. But playability drops off fairly quickly and the strings start moving like crazy soon. I have used an all-gut setup (Tonic+ 16) but it was very 'trampoline-y' and my groundies were sailing long frequently.

Finally, I am not what one would call a string-breaker.

So, I have the following strings with me:
Gut: Babolat VS Team 17
Multi: Head RIP Control 17
Poly: Luxilon Big Banger Ace 18, and
Synthetic: Gosen OG Sheep Micro 17

What hybrid options would you suggest? I request you to specify which strings to put in the mains and which in the crosses... pls also specify tensions.

The permutations/combinations are mind-boggling (gut/poly, poly/gut, poly/multi, synthetic/gut etc.etc.etc.) and hence I am requesting some advice and experiential data from you experts out there.

Thanks in anticipation of your responses,
jaykay.

theace21
10-24-2006, 06:52 PM
I use BDE Preformance in the mains and Gosen Sheep micro in the crosses. Plays very well, and it is easy on my arm. Might help get rid of the trampoline feel you didn't like...

jaykay
10-24-2006, 08:47 PM
I use BDE Preformance in the mains and Gosen Sheep micro in the crosses. Plays very well, and it is easy on my arm. Might help get rid of the trampoline feel you didn't like...

theace21: What is it about this setup (gut in mains / synthetic in crosses) that especially makes it stand out? how is control? durability?

Conversely, do you think the poly/gut or gut/poly combo will be harsh on the arm compared to your gut/synthetic setup?

Do let me know.

Thnx.

Steve Huff
10-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Well, you've already stated that you can't keep the ball in using natural gut. I'd sell it or trade it to someone who can use it. You could get a few sets of another string for it.

2nd--since you don't rely on spin, I'd ditch the 18g Lux, and buy 16g the next time you order string. 16g will probably give your flat shots a little more control, and less trampolining to keep your shots in. I'd say it's affect on your topspin is probably minimal.

So, my 1st recommendation from the strings you have currently would be:
a) Head RIP Control(m)/Lux BB Ace (C). Drop the tension of your Lux 2#.
b) Lux BB Ace (M)/Head RIP Control (C). Drop tension of Lux 3#, increase tension of RIP 2#.
c) Lux BB Ace (M)/VS Gut(C). Drop tension of Lux 1#, increase tension of VS 4#.
d) Head RIP Con(M)/OGM(C)--Increase tension of OGM 3#

Let us know which one works best for you. As with any recommendation without seeing you play, these are sketchy at best. But, this is assuming you generally like the way your current RIP Control plays, but looking for some fine tuning to try.

jaykay
10-25-2006, 05:51 AM
Steve - THANK YOU. This helps immensely.

The rationale behind buying the Lux BB Ace 18g was that I wanted to try a poly for better control but wanted a less harsh alternative; based on some opinions on this board, I inferred that the Ace 18g may be worth a try. Also, I have spent a bunch of money on a few sets of VS 17 and would really want to try out atleast 1 set in a hybrid before taking any decision to trade it away. I'd like to see how dramatically different it plays from Tonic+.

Couple of quick follow-on questions:

- Are the recommendations that you made in order of preference?

- [slightly stupid question, but I'll ask away anyway]: recommendation-a and recommendation-b are obviously mirror images of each other (mains/crosses). Would it make sense to do 1 of my Instincts with a) and the other with b) or is it generally accepted that it makes more sense to have identical twins?

Let me know.

Thanks again for your advice. I value your opinion.

I'll be sure to post some feedback when I embark on this hybrid experimentation as per your recommendations.

Cheers,
jaykay.

Stan
10-25-2006, 06:30 AM
jk

There is really only a single setup I would try given the strings you have on hand. I would go with the BDE gut for mains, increase your tension +2 if it is mid or lower. Go with Ace as the cross string and use the same tension as the gut.

What will this do for you? It will provide you with many of the desireable qualities of natural gut, but will tame the power for you and you'll find better control with this set-up.

jaykay
10-25-2006, 06:56 AM
jk

There is really only a single setup I would try given the strings you have on hand. I would go with the BDE gut for mains, increase your tension +2 if it is mid or lower. Go with Ace as the cross string and use the same tension as the gut.

What will this do for you? It will provide you with many of the desireable qualities of natural gut, but will tame the power for you and you'll find better control with this set-up.

Stan -

Thanks for your response. I have VS17 and not BDE, but I get the idea. Yes, retaining the touch/feel of gut but taming the power is exactly what I desire. I'll be sure to try out VS17 in mains and Lux in crosses.

However, I have some queries regarding your tension recommendation: my usual tension is 61lbs (I think max tension recommendation as per Head for the Instinct is 62lbs), so I can't increase this any further. Furthermore, am I not supposed to drop tension by 5-10% for Luxilon?

Thnx.

theace21
10-25-2006, 02:39 PM
theace21: What is it about this setup (gut in mains / synthetic in crosses) that especially makes it stand out? how is control? durability?

Conversely, do you think the poly/gut or gut/poly combo will be harsh on the arm compared to your gut/synthetic setup?

Do let me know.

Thnx.
I was using a poly 2 summers ago. After several days of play, my arm was tired. Not sore, but no pop. I got rid of the poly string and went to a gut hybrid. Gut in mains, and synthetic gut in crosses. Easy on arm, good durablility, at half the cost of a full gut string job.

I have not tried a gut/poly combo - I have thought about it, but nothing is worse than arm problems. For me it was not worth...I use full synthetic during the fall and winter, and will go back to the gut hybrid in the late spring...

Voltron
10-25-2006, 02:46 PM

Do let me know.

Thnx.

I have that gut/poly setup in one of my racquets, GODLIKE. So much touch, so much control......

theace21
10-25-2006, 04:23 PM
I have that gut/poly setup in one of my racquets, GODLIKE. So much touch, so much control......
I have was wanted to try it over the summer, but I was playing really well and didn't want to take any chances on an arm injury...Maybe this summer I will give it a go.

jaykay
10-29-2006, 09:36 AM
any other opinions/suggestions? also, what tension would you recommend for the hybrid combo of your choice?

fuzz nation
10-31-2006, 08:48 PM
In case you go with the 200g, I had to string one near the loose end of the range to make it work for me. Think I used an OK syn gut.

jaykay
11-04-2006, 04:51 PM
In case you go with the 200g, I had to string one near the loose end of the range to make it work for me. Think I used an OK syn gut.

Thank you.

Steve Huff
11-05-2006, 07:19 PM
I did put them in order of preference. While a and b are the same strings, I'm just saying what I would do if I were trying them out. If you have more than 1 racket, I'd eventually try all the combinations before settling on one. Stan is right about the VS/Lux being a great setup. I just think that $$$-wise, it wouldn't mean that much to you. That's why I listed it 3rd. If you have the money to spend, I'd definitely try it too. Some people prefer the gut in the mains, some in the crosses. Most power players I've seen (guys who really like to take a big cut at the ball) seem to like the Lux in the mains/gut in the crosses better. Seems that's a fairly common setup in the pro's too.

slice bh compliment
11-05-2006, 07:27 PM
One of my friend's DJ buddies helped produce a couple of tracks on a cd by Hybrid Query. Or was it Hybrid Theory?

The choice of Sam Querrey?