PDA

View Full Version : Who so much love for Gosen OG Micro?

Radical Shot
10-24-2006, 07:31 PM
This string seems to come up in ever other discussion around here? Why is that? I've just ordered a few sets to see what the fuss is all about. Seems like a popular choice for the crosses in hybrids. Interesting.

Please post and tell me why you like this string so much?

diredesire
10-24-2006, 07:33 PM
It's cheap, and it's a good, basic, all around string. It doesn't do anything extremely well, but in the same way, it doesn't do anything poorly either. It's got medium high power, decent control, good pop and feel. It's really, really cheap in generic reels, too. I prefer the "genuine" non-generic reels over the generic reels, but the difference is minimal, and the price of the generics is awesome.

fishuuuuu
10-24-2006, 07:35 PM
It's cheap, and if you own your own stringer you can restring it everyday (I popped them everyday in 17G). Fresh off the mount it played pretty impressively.

TonyB
10-24-2006, 07:58 PM
I'd like to see someone compare the OG Sheep Micro to the Ashaway Liberty. I've tried them both, but I haven't done a strict comparison.

I really, really like the Liberty, though. It's incredibly cheap and it plays very, very well. A nice, all-around, solid string.

diredesire
10-24-2006, 08:37 PM
I'd like to see someone compare the OG Sheep Micro to the Ashaway Liberty. I've tried them both, but I haven't done a strict comparison.

I really, really like the Liberty, though. It's incredibly cheap and it plays very, very well. A nice, all-around, solid string.

For me, the liberty 16g snaps in the stringer, It seems it can't handle a constant pull tensioner very well. It never broke at a grommet, and happened on more than 4 individual sets.

Frustrating.

jackson vile
10-24-2006, 09:10 PM
This string seems to come up in ever other discussion around here? Why is that? I've just ordered a few sets to see what the fuss is all about. Seems like a popular choice for the crosses in hybrids. Interesting.

Please post and tell me why you like this string so much?

I thought the same thing until I was forced to try it, I have now been converted.

I far out performs any and all multies, but is a solid core, and it is dirt cheap.

Steve Huff
10-24-2006, 09:23 PM
I have had too many sets of the generic OGM 16 break in the stringer. I've only had 1 set of the 17 break in the stringer. I've had good luck with the individual sets though, and it is pretty inexpensive too. It felt different stringing too. I rarely get discouraged about a string enough to send it back, but I did with the OGM 16. The only reason I can see that would cause the frequent breaks is that it has too many splices--but this probably isn't the case as it wouldn't be cost effective to be splicing leftover ends from string runs together. In most cases, cheap=low quality control. This means you could get one fantastic reel with no flaws right along side one with several flaws, and no QC to detect the bad one.

snoflewis
10-24-2006, 09:40 PM
i like og micro because it's the most basic, yet the best synthetic gut i've tried. og micro isnt too stiff, but not too soft, very durable, and is very predictable. it's very economic too....so it's definitely worth it imo. i dont like multis because of the tension loss and/or stiffness...

Valjean
10-25-2006, 09:39 AM

You really haven't done a thorough search on Liberty or a recent one, then: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=123426&highlight=Liberty

onehandbh
10-25-2006, 11:52 AM
I have had too many sets of the generic OGM 16 break in the stringer. I've only had 1 set of the 17 break in the stringer. I've had good luck with the individual sets though, and it is pretty inexpensive too. It felt different stringing too. I rarely get discouraged about a string enough to send it back, but I did with the OGM 16. The only reason I can see that would cause the frequent breaks is that it has too many splices--but this probably isn't the case as it wouldn't be cost effective to be splicing leftover ends from string runs together. In most cases, cheap=low quality control. This means you could get one fantastic reel with no flaws right along side one with several flaws, and no QC to detect the bad one.

Perhaps you got a bad batch. I hybrid micro 16g & 17g w/gosen poly and
have never had a set break during stringing. Strung about 40 times and
with tensions from 54 lbs up to 67 lbs. When did the strings break?
Was it during the stringing of the crosses? If you don't move the strings
around while pulling the crosses through, the friction can cause a problem.

TonyB
10-25-2006, 02:05 PM
You really haven't done a thorough search on Liberty or a recent one, then: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=123426&highlight=Liberty

Uh, thanks for the link, but that was MY thread. I knew it was there; I didn't need to search for it.

I was looking for more of a direct comparison with other popular synthetic guts, like Prince, Gosen, Toalson, etc.

thetenniskid07
10-25-2006, 08:00 PM
It's cheap and easily one of the best syn gut out there.

Radical Shot
10-25-2006, 08:16 PM
I far out performs any and all multies, but is a solid core, and it is dirt cheap.

Thanks Jackson vile. This is a big call. Included in my order for a few sets of Gosen OG, was a few packets of Technifibre X-One BiPhase 16. Are you saying that a $2 out-performs this $15 string?

Can't wait to see this string.

Zets147
10-25-2006, 08:44 PM
If I hybrid gosen micro as the crosses with poly mains, would the gosen move much?

Anybody??

Kevo
10-25-2006, 09:39 PM
For me, the liberty 16g snaps in the stringer, It seems it can't handle a constant pull tensioner very well. It never broke at a grommet, and happened on more than 4 individual sets.

Frustrating.

I've used Liberty 16 many times on my old Klippermate and I've used it on my new dropweight that has a linear gripper and I've never had it break in the stringer. It does stretch quite a bit, but I'm really surprised to hear that it's broken on you during stringing. I've strung it up to 60lbs. and never had any issues. It works great as a full string job or hybrid. I prefer it over everything else as far as syn guts go. No particular strong point, but good on everything overall.

Bent
10-26-2006, 01:15 AM
I've used Liberty 16 many times on my old Klippermate and I've used it on my new dropweight that has a linear gripper and I've never had it break in the stringer. It does stretch quite a bit, but I'm really surprised to hear that it's broken on you during stringing. I've strung it up to 60lbs. and never had any issues. It works great as a full string job or hybrid. I prefer it over everything else as far as syn guts go. No particular strong point, but good on everything overall.

Same here. At 30 Kgs. No problems during stringing or play.

diredesire
10-26-2006, 02:51 AM

I was surprised, too. It seemed to ONLY be a string defect, as my clamps were properly adjusted, never broke at a clamp or a grommet.

I know the string can reach up to the 65 lb range, but just not on my CP machine. It's been callibrated and checked, too!

Oh well, I don't really feel like i'm missing out on that much ;)

bad_call
10-26-2006, 07:17 PM
It's cheap, and it's a good, basic, all around string. It doesn't do anything extremely well, but in the same way, it doesn't do anything poorly either. It's got medium high power, decent control, good pop and feel. It's really, really cheap in generic reels, too. I prefer the "genuine" non-generic reels over the generic reels, but the difference is minimal, and the price of the generics is awesome.

good to hear since i just ordered a stringer and got some OGSM, PSGD and SPPP all at 17g.

Ripper
10-27-2006, 12:43 PM
If I hybrid gosen micro as the crosses with poly mains, would the gosen move much?

Anybody??

In those unintentional (or intentional) side spin shots, they'll move upwards.