PDA

View Full Version : Stringing for profit: Fair price and other questions

wfudeac
10-25-2006, 07:06 AM
I recently got a Silent Partner Swing and have become very comfortable with using it. Now my friend is interested in having me string her racquet. My question is, should I expect her to just buy her own string then give it to me? This would mean that she would order it online, since if she goes to a large sports store and pays their price, she may as well have them string it for her since it's included, right?

Also, what is a fair price for a stringjob for a friend who provides their own string?

jaykay
10-25-2006, 07:23 AM
I am no stringer, but I'd say - YES, it is fair to expect her to buy her own string. And charging $10-$12 per string job for the labor is fair, I'd imagine.

richw56
10-25-2006, 07:33 AM
That's what I've been doing for years. I buy the string I want on-line (from Tennis Warehouse, of course), bring it to my stringer, and pay him to put the strings in. Jaykay is correct, in that $10 - $12 is typical.

tennisnj
10-25-2006, 08:17 AM
Invest in a wide variety of strings, brand, color, guage, etc,. That way you can have on-hand the string your friend uses. It'll save her from having to order it herself, & you can hopefully make more of a profit from stringing. Carry what most people you play with use. Around here it's mostly Prince Syn Gut in various colors, guages. Other areas might be more Wilson, Babolat or other.
Even if I am too busy to string a friend's racquet, I'll still try to save them money by selling them the strings they use & take to the local tennis shop or big-box store.

Davai
10-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Well investing in different types of strings, gauges, etc. can be quite expensive considering you only have one costumer. You might want to invest in a reel of solid inexpensive nylon reel as a start, like Prince Tour nylon or gosen OG sheep. If you find a more solid and numerous amount of costumers then investing in different strings would pay off.

BigServer1
10-25-2006, 09:28 AM
Invest in a wide variety of strings, brand, color, guage, etc,. That way you can have on-hand the string your friend uses. It'll save her from having to order it herself, & you can hopefully make more of a profit from stringing. Carry what most people you play with use. Around here it's mostly Prince Syn Gut in various colors, guages. Other areas might be more Wilson, Babolat or other.
Even if I am too busy to string a friend's racquet, I'll still try to save them money by selling them the strings they use & take to the local tennis shop or big-box store.

I would do this too, especially if you play at a club. If you string for her and she likes the work that you do, then talk yourself up at a club (or have her do it for you), and then charge $5 less than the club. You'll be in business.

eunjam
10-25-2006, 10:14 AM
if she's hot and single and on the market....and you're single and on the market...

no charge!

j/k

as long as you do a consistent job, i think $10 is perfect.

when i was 1st learning, i was doing free jobs with the free reel i got.

did about 12 free jobs......but then started charging $10 + cost of string for my friday night 'club'. or they can buy their own.

i'm not an MRT, and my jobs are averaging 35 minutes now after prep time (i.e. cutting string, knowing tie off holes, flaring grommets if needed, etc.), but i can definitely say that all my jobs are absolutely consistent. that is probably the most important thing to provide for 'customers'. consistency.

Stan
10-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Since you are new to stringing and are using a fairly primitive machine, I would suggest you string them for free plus whatever donation the person who trusts you with his/her frame feels like giving. This scenario assumes your customer is providing his/her own strings. If you provide the strings you need to charge double the cost of the strings plus whatever donation the person feels like contributing. Doubling the cost of strings will cover your postage costs plus the costs associated with keeping an inventory.

If you eventually want to string for others you need to get some significant experience. It's too soon in your stringing career to actually charge a premium rate for your services. Until you can consistently reproduce the same results with each stringing you should not charge for the labor.

Fumus
10-25-2006, 11:04 AM
You are doing about an hrs worth of work, and it's a speciality skill. So yea $10 bucks is fair.

HBK
10-25-2006, 12:16 PM
I received 12 free sets of Gamma string when I bought an X-2. A few hitting partners trust me with their racquets, so, I'm using free string on other people's frames to practice. Once I run through the free stuff, I'll start to charge a couple of beers per job.

mucat
10-25-2006, 01:27 PM
For friends, I just charge the cost of string (shipping included). And if they bring their own string, it is free. I figure they are friends, right?

bcsax123
10-25-2006, 01:40 PM
Usually I charge about $10 for a set of some plain sythetic like Gosen OG, $15 for a poly, and $20 for Pro Hurricane/Multi.

I would get a reel of cheap Sythetic gut, a reel of poly, maybe 5 sets of Wilson NXT, and about 5 sets of Babolat Pro Hurricane. Basically a $10 for a strining job.

Koz
10-25-2006, 02:27 PM
I generally charge $12 plus cost of string. I stock Prince Duraflex for other people, otherwise they have to give me the string they want (usually charge them $10 if they give me string)

thetenniskid07
10-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Get a reel of poly and syn gut and charge them more when they use your string. $10 for labor and $2-$5 more depending on string.