PDA

View Full Version : Apex II with Wise or Aria?

greggara
10-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Been a long time reader but first time poster. Very imformative forum. I currently have a gamma x6fc dropweight stringer that I have strung about 50 racquets on. I am looking to upgrade to either the Alpha Apex II with the Wise head or the Sptennis Aria. I have read good things about both but would like your opinion. I only string about 10 racquets a month but I dont mind spending the money on a machine that is easier to produce more consistent results. Thanks.

jj300
10-25-2006, 09:00 AM
This is a hard choice because I would typically recommend alpha to anyone since they are so good. That said, I hate the wise and would recommend getting the aria instead (which I have currently). Strung about 3 times as many rackets as I did on the wise, and unlike the wise, the aria still works. Another important thing to remember is how much faster the aria is, even on the fastest speed on the wise, I found myself waiting for the unit to pull the string to the selected tension. Go with the aria, you won't be sorry.

greggara
10-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I did read about your problems with that unit. Sorry to hear that. Do you happen to know if the mounting units are similar?

LttlElvis
10-25-2006, 10:15 AM
I have a Wise Tension Head also. No problems for me. It's good as an add on. However, I would choose an Aria over my set up.

flash9
10-25-2006, 10:46 AM
GregGara,

This is a tough choice. I have the REVO4000 with the Wise, and have truly enjoyed the combination. As jj300 has mentioned he had a very bad experience with Herb, and I really think he had a bum unit. As for his comment about the speed, with my 2086, I use the foot pedal and by the time I have reached to release the clamp the tension head has pulled and beeped that tension has been obtained, even with very stretchy multifilament strings. I typically use speed setting 2, which is the middle speed. Maybe this was just another thing that was not quite right with jj300 unit. I did consider the Aria before I purchased my setup, but I was able to get everything including a A/V Cart for just over $1k.

Flash9

greggara
10-25-2006, 12:00 PM
flash9,

I was thinking about the revo4000 but then I saw a picture of the Apex II mounting system and really like it. How do you like the revo mounting system?
Thanks for the reply.

theace21
10-25-2006, 02:42 PM
I have had the Wise for almost 2 years, great little device....If you already had the crank machine, get the Wise - easy upgrade. If you don't have a machine, might want to go the other route and get the Aria.

Short on cash, get the Apex or Revo - add the wise later.

Mr. Blond
10-25-2006, 03:13 PM
I personally would go with the aria, no issues with the WISE, I just would prefer the aria.

flash9
10-25-2006, 06:15 PM
flash9,
.... How do you like the revo mounting system?
The mounting system is solid. It holds the racquets very well. It adjusts in length, and each arm adjusts independently, while the SP Aria adjust together, which should be easier and quicker, but the REVO4k's mounting works just fine.:)

Steve Huff
10-26-2006, 09:07 PM
The reason I chose the Apex (w/Wise tension head) over the Aria is that I needed something that works ALL the time. If the Wise quits working, I slip it off, slip the crank back on, compensate for the lack of constant pull, send it to Wise, get it back in about 2 weeks (Virginia-->California--->back to Virginia). I've only had one breakdown timeperiod, and Mr. Wise was very courteous to me. I've had mine for 3 years now.