PDA

View Full Version : LM Instinct Last Cross is uber hard to string

EliteNinja
10-25-2006, 04:53 PM
This is more of a rant than anything.

What a b!tch!
I am stringing with 850Pro 15L.

Yeah, since the string is thick, I can't get it through the 2nd last hole. Spent the lats half hour on it and I realize I still have the other side of the frame to thread through as well!!!!!!

FREAKIN FUDGE!!

The hole has two sections of string crossing over it, and the awl does nothing, I can't get any slack in the dog dang crossed over string!

Fother Mucker!

EliteNinja
10-25-2006, 04:59 PM
I think I damaged the string...
I hope it doesn't break.

Got it through, though.
Had to pare off the end of the string to make it thinner. Then use a match to melt the multifilament core so that the core didn't get in the way when pushing it through. 1 hour wasted just for this...

Now for the last hole for the tieoff, I am totally stuck.

Made myself a special tool out of a pair of needlenose pliers.
Hopefully this works...

EliteNinja
10-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Reminder to self: Do not string anything thicker than 16 gauge.

EliteNinja
10-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Done 3.5 hours
I suck

DX_Psycho
10-25-2006, 05:20 PM
what i did wit hthe prestgie classic grommets when this hpapened otm e is i took a thin piece of a rubik's cube face (just find soemthign thin and stiff) and i shoved it inbetween the two strings. this kept the whole big enough so i could push teh sting through

looseswing
10-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Try cutting a sharp edge on the string, might help a little bit.

EliteNinja
10-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Try cutting a sharp edge on the string, might help a little bit.

That wasn't enough.

I had to strip a length of the string using an exactoknife and feed it through, then pull real hard with a pair of needlenose pliers.

But before I did that, I had to melt the multifilament core with a match so they wouldn't stick out and jam.

EliteNinja
10-25-2006, 10:01 PM
what i did wit hthe prestgie classic grommets when this hpapened otm e is i took a thin piece of a rubik's cube face (just find soemthign thin and stiff) and i shoved it inbetween the two strings. this kept the whole big enough so i could push teh sting through

I am SOOO gonna do this on my next restring.

So far, my Yonex was a breeze to string whilst the nPro Surge was relatively easy.

Instinct is by far the hardest and Prince NXG MP comes in second hardest.
Such poor designs...

Kevo
10-26-2006, 07:36 AM
Yeah, I strung a Wilson frame for someone once, and the tie-off whole on the cross at the throat was so close to the last main that you couldn't tie the knot without moving the main string out of the way. After the knot was tied it pushed the last main over slightly. It was ugly, but that's just where they put the tie off.

diredesire
10-26-2006, 09:20 AM
do some preventative planning next time. Loop a scrap piece of string through one (or both) of those strings. Lay the scrap string against the frame, in between the string and the frame. Tension the string with this scrap piece of string still "hooked" against the frame. When you get to the blocked hole, yank those strings so they move the tensioned string aside. If you need pictures i'm sure i can provide some :)

Steve Huff
10-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Exactly what DD said. If you have any, use a thick piece of polyester string to do this. With those Head rackets, I've found that if you crease the scrap piece of string into a "V", then stick the point of the "V" between the frame and the string to be tension, you can pull the 2 ends apart enough to slip a string between the "V" and through the hole. Again, it works best if you use a piece of thick poly.

EliteNinja
10-27-2006, 03:34 PM
do some preventative planning next time. Loop a scrap piece of string through one (or both) of those strings. Lay the scrap string against the frame, in between the string and the frame. Tension the string with this scrap piece of string still "hooked" against the frame. When you get to the blocked hole, yank those strings so they move the tensioned string aside. If you need pictures i'm sure i can provide some :)

Yeah, I shoulda thought of this before.
I'm such a n00b.

Thank you very much, dire.

EliteNinja
10-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Exactly what DD said. If you have any, use a thick piece of polyester string to do this. With those Head rackets, I've found that if you crease the scrap piece of string into a "V", then stick the point of the "V" between the frame and the string to be tension, you can pull the 2 ends apart enough to slip a string between the "V" and through the hole. Again, it works best if you use a piece of thick poly.

Shazbot!
I just chucked all my scrap poly.
Damnit.