PDA

View Full Version : String Advice For Prince O3 White

TERRYTOPSPIN
10-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi everyone! I have been playing Tennis for many years but have not played more than maybe once a year since I was 18 (am 38 now) I was one of the top JR players in my age bracket/area when I was 16. I use to play with a Prince Pro back in the 80ís (REMEMBER THAT STICK?). When I decided to get serious about my Tennis again I recently purchased a Prince Bandit TT about 4 months ago. Liked it because it was so light but soon discovered it had a little too much power for single play! But after getting my swing back, I decided to demo some of the new Prince O3 models and fell in love with the O3 white. The problem I am having in string choice. My problems are
1. Durability (I go through most string in about 1-2 weeks)
2. Playability (the thicker the gauge the more chance I am going long a lot)
3. String Movement (some strings move so much the drive me nuts! I want to play! I donít want to fix my strings for half the time I should be ready for the next point).

I hit very hard with a ton of topspin the strings I have tried and donít care for are:

Prince topspin w/without duraflex 16 (goes long/breaks)
Wilson NXT (hate the feel) 16 (goes long)
Gamma Infinity 18,17,16 Natural (Love the feel and playability, can use them but they start to move in an hour then break)
Prince synthetic gut 16 (can use it but brakes way to easy)

I always string at MAX because I try to dampen my natural power as much as possible to help keep the ball in the court. I am going to try Nadalís string next. But before I go spending a fortune trying to find the right string combination, can anyone offer some advice for someone like me?

Swissv2
10-25-2006, 08:49 PM
O3 has a lot of power, so if you get a poly or poly hybrid that will allow you to rip a shot but keep it in the court. Poly also helps with durability. Unfortunately it is a dead string and sometimes lack feel and playability.

I recommend you demo some string combinations, and try hybrid.

TERRYTOPSPIN
10-26-2006, 07:32 AM
:confused: O3 White has a lot of power? I agree that some O3's have a lot of power like the O3 Blue but not the White.

Does anyone else have any input?

jonolau
10-26-2006, 07:42 AM
I agree with Swissv2. The O3 does have a lot of power, which is the purpose of the O Ports. My wife is using the O3 White and she doesn't generate much racquet speed, but can get lots of power from the White.

String movement: the nature of the O Ports causes the strings to move a lot. I have strung up her racquet with full syn gut, Prince Lightning XX, Redcode/Lightning XX hyrbid and full poly. Only the full poly doesn't move about.

You can try a comfortable poly such as TF Pro Redcode or Gosen Polylon SP as a full setup. Will provide a nice balance of power, control and spin generation.

muggy
10-26-2006, 01:03 PM
I think it depends on how you string the o3 white, at higher tensions I actually have a lot more control, and the power you get on flat shots is different. It's like the stringbed absorbs some of your power but also puts some pop on the shot. I think this is why so few of the shots go long with this racquet, and you can swing a little more freely.

Definitely the open string pattern and the o-ports make for a lot of string movement and I believe quicker breakage for many strings. I'm currently using an aramid / syn gut hybrid and it has lasted quite a while although it has some tension. I'm definitely trying a poly hybrid next, it's a popular setup on this board, it can be had for relatively cheap, and I hope it will solve the problems from the open string pattern.

counterpuncher
10-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Agree with the poly or poly hybrid suggestion, otherwise something like the Yonex 850 pro offers good spin, durability, tension holding and little string movement.

Valjean
10-26-2006, 04:38 PM
I'd say you need a less powerful racquet, no doubt about it.