PDA

View Full Version : rds-001 MP stringing recommendations.

timmins
10-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Ok, now that I have my yonex on the way, I'm now looking to string it up.
Based on my description of my playing style seen here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=125593
what natural gut string guage would you recommend, I'm thinking 16 or 16L.
Also since I'm still getting a feel for what guage I want, I don't want to spend too too much, what in your opinion is the cheapest "acceptable" natural gut in your opinion.
also which do feel is the best synthetic gut for my style of play.

I intend to string my crosses at about 62-63 and my mains at 64-65?

timmins
10-26-2006, 12:08 AM
what's the story on multicore strings with wraps? I'm looking for a nice soft string durability isn't my main concern.

gfdoto
10-26-2006, 12:22 AM
A lot of people recommend the Yonex Tour Super 850 as a nice soft string, but personally I don't have that much experience with it.

Valjean
10-26-2006, 03:15 PM
what's the story on multicore strings with wraps? I'm looking for a nice soft string durability isn't my main concern.
Tecnifibre's Multifeel is the one you're after.

Valjean
10-26-2006, 03:21 PM
....what in your opinion is the cheapest "acceptable" natural gut in your opinion.
also which do feel is the best synthetic gut for my style of play.

I intend to string my crosses at about 62-63 and my mains at 64-65?
At such a high tension there are bound to be problems for you; I wouldn't go thinner than 15L, at least to begin with. Indeed, until you sort this out, I would just go with a hybrid of gut mains and synthetic crosses. I want to say Klip Legend will have to suit you, but my leaning to VS is so strong...

timmins
10-26-2006, 05:06 PM
I think maybe I should just go for full synthetic. any recommendations for a responsive string that willl hold up against my style and stringing tensions.
I think that a tightly strung racquet is necessary for my style but I don't want to turn my racquet into a board, any thoughts?

I might drop the stringing down by a pound or 2 to start.

Voltron
10-26-2006, 05:13 PM
I see you bought the midplus, its better than all the other racquets, but IMHO not as good for me as the mid. But that may be because I hit the ball very very hard. Oh right, the strings, I have Pacific gut in the mains, and this "yonex super..." cant remember the crosses. It plays perfectly, BTW its at 55lbs.

Voltron
10-26-2006, 05:14 PM
Sorry I can't remember whats in the crosses, I'll find out later.

timmins
10-26-2006, 05:19 PM
I was going to buy a mid rds but I went for the midplus because I put major spin on my forehand, and my bachhand isn't that great so I needed the forgiveness there.

I also hit the ball extremly hard, that's why I'm thinking that I should be using tighter string.
do you have your stringbed strung at 55 lbs all around, I thought yonex recommends a 5-7% drop on the crosss.

gfdoto
10-26-2006, 07:07 PM
I have 2 RDS 001 Mids. Here are my setups:

Gosen OGSM Super 59/57
Topspin Cyber Flash 57/55

Both play pretty well but so far I prefer the CF setup.

Valjean
10-27-2006, 03:27 AM
....I think maybe I should just go for full synthetic. any recommendations for a responsive string that willl hold up against my style and stringing tensions.
Elsewhere you say its durability is not something you are concerned with, so let's assume that by "hold up against my style and stringing tensions" you mean its playability.

Gosen's OG Sheep Micro Super JC--Jim Courier's string--or, to go a bit softer, Tecnifibre's Multifeel, like I said. You're going to get a lot of recommendations to go poly, but that's to be avoided until you feel like you're going to want to leave tennis soon, anyhow... :)

timmins
10-27-2006, 07:24 AM
Elsewhere you say its durability is not something you are concerned with, so let's assume that by "hold up against my style and stringing tensions" you mean its playability.

Gosen's OG Sheep Micro Super JC--Jim Courier's string--or, to go a bit softer, Tecnifibre's Multifeel, like I said. You're going to get a lot of recommendations to go poly, but that's to be avoided until you feel like you're going to want to leave tennis soon, anyhow... :)

Yeah I kind of flip flopped a little because of what you said in your last post. I'll read a little more about strings and gain a little more knowledge, thanks for your responses.

gfdoto
10-27-2006, 09:44 AM

Is this still the case with poly? Both Topspin Cyber Flash and SPPP feel very comfortable to me even compared to my synthetic gut. Maybe your description is right for the BB polys (I haven't tried them myself) but I don't think it's fair to turn someone away from poly with one sweeping generalization that all polys are bad for the arm. Just my opinion. :)

Voltron
10-27-2006, 09:48 AM
I was going to buy a mid rds but I went for the midplus because I put major spin on my forehand, and my bachhand isn't that great so I needed the forgiveness there.

I also hit the ball extremly hard, that's why I'm thinking that I should be using tighter string.
do you have your stringbed strung at 55 lbs all around, I thought yonex recommends a 5-7% drop on the crosss.

Oh right, I forgot the MAINS ar 55, crosses are 53 I think. My other RDS mid is poly/syn hybrid 58/56 or 57/55, can't remember the exact tension. Although 1lb is negligible. Anyway I'll tell you how that plays when I pick it up for the first time.(I'm buying it today:) )