PDA

View Full Version : No room to tie off the last knot. Help please

CoconutGT
10-26-2006, 12:09 AM
I'm stringing my wilson pro staff tour 90 with hybrid for the first time, and now I'm stuck at the last knot. Basically the tie off is at 11T which is where the cross runs in on this racquet. The problem is that the the main next to it (10T) pretty much covered up any space for me to tie off the knot without interfering with the 10T main. So, can I tie off the knot at 11T where it would squish the 10T main that's in the way to the grommet? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

kchau
10-26-2006, 12:52 AM
just tie it off. it dosent matter. get it in.

CoconutGT
10-26-2006, 12:58 AM
so it's okay to squish the main by tying the knot over it on the 11T cross? Any other opinions?

LttlElvis
10-26-2006, 10:51 AM
I agree with kchau. Just tie it off.

The pressure will compress the grommet a little, and you will have more room once you let go of the clamp. Also, learn to do other types of knots. Experiment with your own racquets. A double hitch, is the most common, but it takes too much room up the string in your case for that particular situation. I have done a starting knot in that situation. It is flatter but broader.

BstonBruin
10-26-2006, 02:03 PM
have you ever tried the pro knot..takes up the least room (squeezes nicely into the grommet, and looses the least amount of tension)

CoconutGT
10-26-2006, 04:03 PM
I asked my tennis coach this morning (He strings racquet for the team). He told me NOT to squish the main by tying it against the cross grommet. So, I somehow managed to tie a perfect knot in that little tiny space between the main and the grommet on 11T. :)

As for the knots, I strung 5 racquet for the first time in the last 3 days. The first knot I tried was the double half-hitch which I fail to do miserably. So, I use Parnell (Pro) knot on all my racquets except when starting hybrid cross (I use starting knot in this case). Thanks for all the input guys :)

LoveThisGame
10-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Many a Wilson racquet has this problem of miniscule space to tie off the bottom cross. You can get a knot tied so that it lies between the grommet barrel and the outmost main string.

It may not be too pretty a knot and the main may need to bulge a tad to the inside, but that's what Wilson has left you to work with.

unkast
11-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Don't do what I did to boch my first poly string job.

Was stringing SPPP 1.18 and was done except for the final knot. Had such little space that I botched a double half-hitch knot, because I couldn't see what was going on in that tiny space. Some kind of knot was there holding tension, but I was tempted to undo the knot and re-tie it..

Long story short - the string snapped and I had to redo the crosses with a syn gut. Now I'll have to wait to try full SPPP. Should I just have left the other knot there? It was kind of working.