PDA

View Full Version : Gamma & Toalson: same company?

jonolau
10-26-2006, 02:24 AM
Does anyone know the relationship between Gamma and Toalson?

A customer asked me for Toalson Apex strings which I didn't have. Out of curiousity I visited the Toalson site and realised that they had strings with TNT technology, and strings named Livewire. Toalson also has a range of stringing machines which look exactly like the Gamma machines, with the same model names (eg, Gamma Progression STII vs Toalson Progression ST II).

thomas martinez
10-26-2006, 03:55 AM
No, they are not. What it is, Toa is the OE manufactureer for most Gamma strings, bar their natural gut.

jonolau
10-26-2006, 06:34 AM
No, they are not. What it is, Toa is the OE manufactureer for most Gamma strings, bar their natural gut.
How about the stringing machines?

GAMMA:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d183/jonolau/ST2Gamma.jpg

TOALSON:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d183/jonolau/ST2toalson.jpg

jj300
10-26-2006, 08:09 AM
jonolau,
What I learned about the stringing machine market is that they are small amounts of factories. They definetly make machines for more than one company, the issue becomes who came up with the design and who is the original company? For example was the alpha revo alpha's machine before it eagnas copied it, or the other way around? Same thing with the gamma and toalson machines, no idea to trully find out what is true. Go with the company that has the better cs if you have to choose btw machines like that. If you want an original machine that noone else has you have to look to babolat or tecnifibre and some of the gosen machines.

Chicken Neck
10-26-2006, 12:24 PM
jj300, are you sure that there is not more of a relationship between the two companies? When you look at those pictures of the STIIs, they both have the Diablo feature on the crank mechanism which is something that I understood to be a Gamma exclusive and, I thought, a Gamma patent.

eunjam
10-26-2006, 12:35 PM
jj300, are you sure that there is not more of a relationship between the two companies? When you look at those pictures of the STIIs, they both have the Diablo feature on the crank mechanism which is something that I understood to be a Gamma exclusive and, I thought, a Gamma patent.

patents just don't stick in some countries. it's obviously blatent one is copying another.....but nothing is done.

patents would probably stick more in the states.....but then a US made gamma stringer that is now $650........would then be $1300 and couldn't compete.

PBODY99
10-26-2006, 01:03 PM
In 1987 I purchased a Tennex 4000 This is Gamma's brand name for a line of non-irradiated strings & it was the name for the stringer they released. WINN & TOA also "produced" an identical machine even down to the instruction manuals. I never cared whose decals were on the machine and I have had no issuses except for the nut that tightens the string clamps, and the need to "upgrade" the tip hold down to support the CTS THUDERSTICKS & the like. I've had no problems in over 5000 string jobs.

I'm sure that two companies that work so closely together are well aware of what the other sells and most likely do some joint development. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase either machine, but as a soft pretzel eating Philadelphia resident, I'd go with Gamma.< I don't have any contractual connection with Gamma.>:cool:

jj300
10-26-2006, 01:04 PM
in the US patenting pays off. In other countries its stealing the patents instead. Unless you are huge company with a lot of income for legal work, the companies can't do much about it. eagnas machines are a prime example the way they copy everyone else.

Chicken Neck
10-26-2006, 01:15 PM
jj300 I can see where you would be correct, especially in the case of Eagnas. However, I think there must be a licensing agreement between these two. Not even Eagnas would go so far as to give their knock off the same name as the original as is the case here (both are called Progression).

Lleytian3
10-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Is toalson the company that makes TOA strings?? Could you post the website if it is? thanks

barry
10-27-2006, 04:07 AM
Gamma does not build any machines, strings, grips, etc.., they simply logo the products. They are a pure marketing company.

Interesting about all the positive comments about the Alpha Revo 4000, with the latest Revo upgrade, Alpha copied and uses the same mounting system assembly as the Eagnas Combo 810 (http://www.eagnas.com/jpg/com810a1.jpg). The Combo 810 has not been updated in 4 years, other than moving to the more modern 3 tooth clamps, but otherwise it has been around longer than the Alpha machine. .It new mounting system is an improvement over the previous Revo version, but once again parts suppliers all sell to different companies. It would not make sense for Alpha, Gamma, Eagnas, etc... To produce components, since they are readily available and cheap, that would make about as much sense as Eagnas, Silent Partner, or Gamma building their on electric motors...

When you buy a product these days who cares what name is on them, they all come from the same source. Look at the components and verify the functionality you need, then go for the best price.

Young Pete
10-27-2006, 11:38 PM
Gamma does not build any machines, strings, grips, etc.., they simply logo the products. They are a pure marketing company.

Interesting about all the positive comments about the Alpha Revo 4000, with the latest Revo upgrade, Alpha copied and uses the same mounting system assembly as the Eagnas Combo 810 (http://www.eagnas.com/jpg/com810a1.jpg). The Combo 810 has not been updated in 4 years, other than moving to the more modern 3 tooth clamps, but otherwise it has been around longer than the Alpha machine. .It new mounting system is an improvement over the previous Revo version, but once again parts suppliers all sell to different companies. It would not make sense for Alpha, Gamma, Eagnas, etc... To produce components, since they are readily available and cheap, that would make about as much sense as Eagnas, Silent Partner, or Gamma building their on electric motors...

When you buy a product these days who cares what name is on them, they all come from the same source. Look at the components and verify the functionality you need, then go for the best price.

those two machines do look identical

i would go TOA forget GAMMA.

LoveThisGame
10-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Most frame and string companies do not manufacture. They do decide/accept the product specs. I believe that there aren't very many frame manufacturers and string manufacturers.

Ashaway is an exception and the only U.S. manufacturer of string AFIK.