PDA

View Full Version : the Two Families of Racquet Stringing Machines

max
10-26-2006, 06:26 AM
It boils down to this. There are stringing machines built for personal use, which are inexpensive dropweights. The second category is stringing machines for professional use, with which you do multiple frames in the course of a day or week, rather than one frame a month or so, which you do with the personal stringer.

So you really need to figure out your demand for stringing to make the initial determination of what you're looking for.

dlo
10-26-2006, 07:38 AM
That may be true, however you may tell yourself you are only going to do 1 maybe 2 personal rackets a month, but I think the reality is that when you start it becomes addictive either because of fun or curiosity. That is why most veterans on this board seem to always say “buy the most or best stringer you can afford” because it will get used a lot.

hadoken
10-27-2006, 10:25 AM
So you really need to figure out your demand for stringing to make the initial determination of what you're looking for.

I disagree. Gearheads here *like* trying on different strings and goofing around. I can tell you right now that stringing on a dropweight just feels like more of a chore and I will not use one (laserfibre excluded). Don't get me wrong, I had a drop weight for many years and I was happy because I was saving money but it was getting to the point where I groaned every time I had to string. When I moved to a crank I was much happier at the process and don't mind it nearly as much. That's why everyone here recommends buying th best machine you can for the price because if you love to play, amortizing the cost of a more expensive machine over many years is minimal, but the convenience is far superior.

On a related note, and I know people would disagree with me, but I would never buy a *new* machine in the $300-$400 category (typically fixed clamp dropweight). Complete waste of money if you ask me. Either go cheap or go Alpha Revo 4000 for just a little more money and get the crank.

eunjam
10-27-2006, 10:33 AM
I disagree. Gearheads here *like* trying on different strings and goofing around. I can tell you right now that stringing on a dropweight just feels like more of a chore and I will not use one (laserfibre excluded). Don't get me wrong, I had a drop weight for many years and I was happy because I was saving money but it was getting to the point where I groaned every time I had to string. When I moved to a crank I was much happier at the process and don't mind it nearly as much. That's why everyone here recommends buying th best machine you can for the price because if you love to play, amortizing the cost of a more expensive machine over many years is minimal, but the convenience is far superior.

On a related note, and I know people would disagree with me, but I would never buy a *new* machine in the $300-$400 category (typically fixed clamp dropweight). Complete waste of money if you ask me. Either go cheap or go Alpha Revo 4000 for just a little more money and get the crank.

well said as long as one is not anal with constant pull.

Steve Huff
10-27-2006, 04:01 PM
I agree with Hadoken. I also had a dropweight for several years. I was completely satisfied with it until I tried a crank (Ektelon). Had I known then what I learned later, I never would have bothered with a dropweight. The one positive I can say about dropweights is that they make you learn about the characteristics of every string you use, because you have to learn how much they stretch if you ever want to develop any speed with one.

EricW
10-28-2006, 06:10 PM
How do you guys feel about a "Manual spring tension winder"? What is it?

ryohazuki222
10-28-2006, 08:37 PM

That is the conclusion i came to as well. Personally, when searching for my stringer, I felt that the only choices were to either by a cheap two-point mount floating clamp drop-weight in the sub-$150 range, or to buy a crank machine (read: revo 4000.) In the end, I didn't have enough money for the crank machine. I live in texas, so I would have had to pay sales tax in addition to the $549... or I could avoid the tax, but pay shipping... which was about the same. I couldn't find a way to avoid both. That brought it up to almost $600 which was a serious financial inconvenience. I ended up buying a Gamma X-2, which wasn't so bad with the whole ratcheting mechanism... but the floating clamps are A LOT more inconvenient than the fixed clamps. Anyway... after spending a summer with my dropweight, I found an amazing deal on a practically brand new Revo 4000, and upgraded immediately.

...but I got sidetracked... basically, I feel that if you decide to string, the option is either to go $550+ or just stick to a sub$150 til you have the financial means to do better if the desire/need arises.